ACN Latitudes Forums

"Significantly low adrenal hormone"

So, I'm worrying over this like crazy. Hoping your feedback will ease my mind.

Allie has had a bloated, distended belly for several months now, and her monthly has become 3 days of spotting (after 2 years of completely normal). So, I took her to a pediatric gyno who ran some blood work for female hormones and, apparently, adrenal hormones. Everything came back normal, except low adrenal hormones, and they are significantly low according to the nurse who reported it to me. The blood draw was taken @ 48 hours after finishing a 10 day prednisone taper. Could that cause the adrenal hormones to be low? Everything I've read says that it could be caused by suddenly stopping prednisone after taking it for an extended period of time, but not if you taper it.

The thing is, the distended abdomen could be a symptom of adrenal insufficiency, and she's having episodes of fatigue and frenzied bursts of activity, "hot flash" events, and headaches are back.

Should I stop giving ibuprofen? Is IVIG safe if there is a kidney problem? Could this be induced by IVIG? The blood was drawn immediately prior to her last infusion, but she's getting infusions every 3 weeks.

The gyno wants to repeat the test to make sure its not a lab error, but we were going to wait to have the draw until her next infusion (10/12).

This is such scary stuff. She's getting an abdominal and pelvic ultrasound tomorrow- maybe that will shed some light...

I don't think the 10 day taper would be the cause. I would dig further. I will say I am on a high prednisone dose for a completely different issue right now and I am having some of the exact same symptoms she is suffering from so my guess is that is definitely related.

I don't know the relationship between IVIG and adrenals. Wish I could help more.

I'm sorry that this is happening but I'm so glad that they ran this bloodwork and can start digging. Hang in there.

I don't think the 10 day taper would be the cause. I would dig further. I will say I am on a high prednisone dose for a completely different issue right now and I am having some of the exact same symptoms she is suffering from so my guess is that is definitely related.

I don't know the relationship between IVIG and adrenals. Wish I could help more.

I'm sorry that this is happening but I'm so glad that they ran this bloodwork and can start digging. Hang in there.

Dang, I really want it to be the steroids- easy fix.