ACN Latitudes Forums

USF

For those of you that stayed at the Ronald McDonald House, did any of your kiddos have a fight/flight fear response before heading over to USF for ERP. How was it perceived? I'm concerned about the scene my daughter might make - being in front of families that are dealing with much bigger issues (bone marrow transplants, exc). I have no problems with forcing her, but it will probably be a battle at first (day 2-5). Thoughts?

Also, for those who stayed elsewhere could you share some details. And, if your child was seen for a fear of vomiting- would you share your experience. You can pm if you prefer. Thanks!

Don't have this lined up yet, but considering my options.

dcmom- thanks for replying to my pm.

Edited by philamom

we stayed at the West house and we rarely saw anyone else- people keep to themselves, especially the BMT kids. They HAVE to! They have there own side of the house- we only saw them in the kitchen- which they have their own kitchen, anyway.

most of the people who are there are busy with their own stuff and not sitting in the house all day- so I do not think you need to worry about it.

We stayed at the larger, busier house- which we loved. Younger daughter made a few scenes :) Staff was WONDERFUL and always told me if they could help in any way..... USF will be your rock in telling you how to handle these issues as well... You are NOT alone when you are there.

BMT is bone marrow transplant.

...taking notes regarding Ronal McDonald house as I am considering this for dd when she (hopefully) gets to a point where she can be helped by CBT

Yes, how silly of me. I agree- my dd is at a point where she can handle the therapy... I think.

I hope your daughter feels better soon!

the staff at the RMH are WONDERFUL.....my daughter had an episode at 11:30 at night in our room.....I just carried her outside quickly so we didn't wake others up....everyone there is so understanding (the other parents, too)....most of the kids stay at the hospital so it's mostly parents (mostly moms when we were there)....after 3 weeks we got to know some pretty nice people and I'm usually one to stay to myself....If you want to be alone there are enough rooms to escape to for a break....(small teen room, outside patio, living room, side rooms on each floor w/ a tv, etc.). The walk is nice there...my daughter LOVED catching lizards. I just can't say enough good things about the RMH

also...some people told me there was a Panda's child there before us that had a fight or flight episode and the other mom's helped distract and he calmed down faster.

the staff at the RMH are WONDERFUL.....my daughter had an episode at 11:30 at night in our room.....I just carried her outside quickly so we didn't wake others up....everyone there is so understanding (the other parents, too)....most of the kids stay at the hospital so it's mostly parents (mostly moms when we were there)....after 3 weeks we got to know some pretty nice people and I'm usually one to stay to myself....If you want to be alone there are enough rooms to escape to for a break....(small teen room, outside patio, living room, side rooms on each floor w/ a tv, etc.). The walk is nice there...my daughter LOVED catching lizards. I just can't say enough good things about the RMH

also...some people told me there was a Panda's child there before us that had a fight or flight episode and the other mom's helped distract and he calmed down faster.

Did you stay at the West house, or the larger, busier house? thx

We stayed at the East House Just got backlast Saturday. We were supposed to be at the West, but got in at 11pm after flying all day. It worked out great and we stayed there although they said we could switch to the West if we wanted to. We also had a back up reservation at Courtyard and cancelled that after visiting. It was a very low rate given to us by RMH. But the experience of RMH was well worth it. No fits by daughter here, but I know if she had one, they would have rolled with it just fine. We gave the RMH some bouncy balls b/c they needed them at thier playground and they have a therapy dog~~a black lab that is just awesome!!

East house is easy walking distance to Rothman also.