ACN Latitudes Forums

Lyme/Bartonella

Our LLMD was using biaxin/rifampin for lyme/bart. This resolved symptoms well, but after 1 year DD11 still relapses after 3 months whenever either abx is withdrawn - she seems to need the combination. We have seen a big reduction in baseline symptoms with axithromycin/minocycline/malarone for lyme/bart/assumed babesia, but with no die-off reactions, I think we may be treating inflammation more than anything, IDK.

we tried mino. and bactrim. she was pretty mean and ocd got really bad with this.

we tried mino. and cipro. and it did nothing but make her VERY aggressive.

what other combos are there for lyme/bartonaella?

My son stayed on this combination for a year or so:

Minocycline 50mg X 1 daily

Azithromycin 250mg X 2 daily

Augmentin ER 1,000 X 2 daily

Tindamax 1 tablet Fri pm, Sat am + pm, Sun am only

We dropped the augmentin when his bowels became loose more frequently. We have also since switched from tindamax to flagyl. Just completing year 2. We also recently drop the Azithromycin down to once a day. At this point our doctor has recommended slowly reducing/dropping items keeping an eye out for any return of symptoms. His OCD is 90% better. The only troublesome symptom remaining is dystonia/movement.

My dd was on Amoxicillin, Azith, Minocin, and Tindamax on weekends. We dropped the weekend Tindamax after 9 months, because my dd was unable to tolerate Tindamax while receiving IVIG. Her LLMD suggested she continue IVIG over the Tindamax.

My daughter is currently on Amox only though.

Azithromycin (Wikipedia):

"Azithromycin is used to treat many different infections, including acute otitis media, nonstreptococcal bacterial pharyngitis, gastrointestinal infections such as traveler's diarrhea, respiratory tract infections such as pneumonia, cellulitis, babesiosis, Bartonella infection, chancroid cholera, donovanosis, leptospirosis, Lyme disease, malaria, Mycobacterium avium complex disease, Neisseria meningitis, pelvic inflammatory disease, pertussis, scrub typhus, toxoplasmosis, and salmonellosis.[5] It is used to prevent bacterial endocarditis and some sexually transmitted illnesses post sexual assault.[5] It is also effective against localized dental infections.

It has a similar antimicrobial spectrum as erythromycin, but is more effective against certain Gram-negative bacteria, in particular, Haemophilus influenzae.[citation needed] Azithromycin resistance has been described[6] and is endemic in many areas. Long-term use in treating Staphylococcus aureus infections with azithromycin may increase bacterial resistance to this and other macrolide antibiotics.[7]

Azithromycin has been shown to be effective against malaria when used in combination with artesunate or quinine; the optimal dose for this is not yet known.[8]"

Bill - how come your giving 4 things for bartonella? Our LLMD told us that only two antibiotics are needed to treat bartonella.

Apologize for the delay. As things continue to improve, I am here less often!

During the first year, we were treating Pandas (strep), Lyme, and bartonella. The combination was somewhat of a compromise. We (wife and I) noticed that son was responding positively to azithromycin and augmentin combination. Our doctor really favors minocycline as she feels it passes blood/brain barrier better than other ABX. The tindamax (now flagyl) is complete coverage for the forms of lyme. Our doctor would have stuck with azithromycin and the mino but respected our observations regarding the azithromycin and augmentin. Admittedly - that was a strong combination of ABX but he handled it well for a year.

Just want to mention that we started with suspected Pandas but never had a positive for strep per say; he did have high ASO, DNase counts that we all follow. Our doctor never confirmed strep or not as the combination above should also deal with it. Can't put my hand on them now, but last test results for these tests were normal - first time in over two years.

bill