ACN Latitudes Forums

How terrible is this?

kos_mom

DD, 19, was recently dx'ed as Pandas by both Dr. T and Dr. L. Mid-July she had ASO titers of 660, but I wasn't able to get her on abx until August 8 (dx didn't come until September). Sx include mild OCD and phobias, but major anxiety and panic attacks. A week after starting abx, I think we had huge herx, which caused complete meltdown ending in having to call ambulance and hospitalization in psych unit. She has now gone well over two weeks with no anxiety or panic and her worrisome agoraphobia that had been steadily growing over the past year is now gone. She is being scheduled for IVIG.

My concern is with her boyfriend, who seems omnipresent. He has admitted to me a pattern of OCD as a child, as well as transient tics. The OCD never completely went away, and he started having anxiety a couple of years ago, which persists. He has also told me his OCD and anxiety got noticeably much worse in mid-August and he has lost a fair amount of weight since then. He sees a psychiatrist for the anxiety and has a prescription from him for lab work for Pandas, as well as thyroid (his mother has Graves). But he will not do a blood draw--has huge phobia against this.

He has access to abx and could take same thing as DD--clindamycin 300 mg and see if it works to address the OCD. He has offered to do this and actually seems quite interested in conducting the experiment. He would probabaly report to his psychiatrist after the fact. How bad is this? DD and BF are together constantly, and I don't much care for him being around her with potential untreated strep if she is getting IVIG. His medical hx, including mother with Graves, looks very suspicious to me for Pandas. Also, I will note DD's psyhiatrist offered to put her on abx a couple of months ago even without the blood draw. DD thinks I have pandasmania.

I think you may be right on the mark. I would suggest that you follow your instincts. As far as your dd is concerned about being around her boyfriend after IVIG...I have to completely agree with you, if in fact it is untreated infection of any type. The fact that his symptoms increased at the same time that your dd got sick is very suspicious. I would trust your gut (that's what I have learned is most important.)