ACN Latitudes Forums

Home Schooling

philamom

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we received homebound instruction (5 hrs week) with a letter from our psychologist. Apparently, they would have challenged or disputed a medical note from one of our three doctors (like last year). Crazy!

We had a meeting this morning at the school, with our psychologist dialed in via phone. The plan is to still try and get her in for an hour half each day at the end of the day (20 min of it is recess), while we work on exposure therapy for vomiting with the psychologist. If the psycologist doesn't see DD moving forward fast enough with therapy, we will then proceed with the USF program. The psychologist is familiar with the intensive program - has even had a few patients complete it and return to her for continuing therapy. I spoke with Dr. Storch on Tuesday- he is extremely polite.

So, well see how it goes. Last night she cried for three hours over the fear of going in today and I finally gave her a benadryl at 11:30. And that was knowing she didn't have to go in until 2:00. So now her arrangement today, is to go in at 3:00 and have a talk with her teacher (who happens to be acting principal until Nov) and then recess. She adores her teacher. We'll attempt 2:00 tomorrow.

The great thing today at the meeting- Dd's teacher/acting principal (who doesn't really know her full backgroung yet) asked why she had problems with attendance in 2nd grade, none in 3rd grade, and then problems in 4th grade, and also now. My answer: "the entire year of third grade was the only time she was on full abx for lyme treatment". Everyone else at the meeting isn't buying into the whole lyme/pandas dx, even with labs, doctor letters, picture of spirochettes in dd's blood culture.

When (and if) she returns to school full days, I will turn to an advocate to help get that somatization label out of her IEP (that was declined). I don't want it to come back and haunt her in future years. uggh

Thanks everyone for the advice and links! I have all the info printed and ready, if needed.

So, well see how it goes. Last night she cried for three hours over the fear of going in today and I finally gave her a benadryl at 11:30. And that was knowing she didn't have to go in until 2:00. So now her arrangement today, is to go in at 3:00 and have a talk with her teacher (who happens to be acting principal until Nov) and then recess. She adores her teacher. We'll attempt 2:00 tomorrow.

phila -- i KNOW you are working so hard so please don't take offense -- i just had a thought -- is your daughter involved in developing the plans of what she will do? have you worked with her about what she may find doable? i love anxietybc.com as a resource and haven't looked in a while -- we use the fear ladder from there with ERP-like plans. my ds seems to do better when he is an active participant in the plan. sometimes he is not able so we have to tell him that then the adults are forced to make the decisions without him, but we would like his input.

seems like you have some positive direcitons. i hope it all works out!

No offense taken. She is the one who came up with the time period. From 2-3:00 it's hands on, so her mind is more focused on the project at task instead of worrying about a child vomiting. Basically, no academics. Then it's recess, pack-up & time to go home. Is that what you mean? But even with her deciding that, when push comes to shove, the fear is still greater and it is extremely difficult.

When we meet with her teacher (the one who will be back in November - not current one) in an hour, we will discuss/include her in the plan of action.

She is going to have to take on daily ERP for the vomiting, daily tutoring, and being forced to school for an hour and half each day. I hope she can handle it.

I will check out anxietybc.com. Thanks!

Edited by philamom

I'm glad the district gave you services, BUT, I don't see how they can put a somatization label on when none of your docs have given her that. I really think you need to demand that it be removed, because it's harmful to her, it's not accurate, and it's not legal for the school district/school psychologist to make up diagnoses. It's like a district/teacher/school psychologist, etc. diagnosing a child with ADHD (like used to happen.) It's just not legal.

In your post you said that you were not smarter than a fifth grader, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised how smart you are as you get into teaching your child. I taught in a parochial school and although most of the teachers were very kind, they were not all genius types. That been my son's experience in public school, as well.

You will be able to get a lot of work done in a short period of time because you do not have to deal with 20 to 30 different personalities and multiple learning styles. You will be able to really see how your child learns and adapt coursework to those learning styles. Basically, the same content, but different learning style. Also, you can tailor the curriculum to your morals and values.

Tim Tebow, in his autobiography, states that he is dyslexic and his mom taught him at home all the way through school. He then went to Florida and graduated with honors. Do not think that you are shortchanging your child by homeschooling, quite the opposite!

Good luck!

Just like to say that you have my sympathy. What a filthy situation to have got into. And I'm sure you could do without all the teachers questioning whether the problem really is what three doctors say it is!

I'm glad to hear you got the 5 hours a week home teaching - at the very least, you'll feel safer that way! But I think you'll be fine. If I've understood you right, your daughter's concentration would be much better at home, with not having to look at all the other kids and wonder whether they'll be sick. So anything she studies at home, she'll learn much quicker, easier and more reliably than she would at school. And as Cobbiemommy says, she'll be able to study however and whenever suits her best, and whatever subject she happens to be interested in that minute, so she has another big advantage over kids at school. So even if she has to leave off going to school at all for a bit, she needn't lose any education by it.

You'd be surprised how much children will learn just from having a lot of interesting books and some encouragement, and being left to get on with it, with or without deliberate teaching at other times (at least after they've recovered from whatever crisis made them leave school in the first place). Look up "autonomous education". I was home-educated almost entirely like that from age 11 and am now well on my way to an Honours degree, if only PANDAS doesn't throw a spanner in the works!

Education Otherwise's website has a list of good books about home education, both taught and autonomous (or both), although some of the legal information may be specific to England. I've only read two of them that I can remember; "Unqualified Education" is full of good ideas (and recipes) though a bit polemical, "Educating Children at Home" is mainly about the results of a survey of 100 home-educating families, but makes a very readable guide to all the different ways things can go.

Good luck!

Wombat140

Edited by Wombat140

I took my dd12, 7th grade, out of private school this year and we are using K12. They send parent workbooks with answers to each subject. You also have real teachers whom you can K-mail, or call personally for any help. So far we are making passing grades, and I'm not smarter than a 2nd grader :)

Homeschooling is perfectly legal in all 50 states. It is a parent's right to homeschool, if they want and how they want. However, individual states do have different requirements.

We have always homeschooled our three kids, now 12, 9 and 6 yo. I have used various curriculum, and done different approaches. Sometimes, I have been very ill. Other times, one or more of the kids have been ill (like now when we are dealing with PANDAS with our middle dd). And, thankfully, sometimes we've all been well.

My point is that homeschooling works because the parent gets to do what is right for their family and for their child at that time. No school, teacher or administrator knows better than you do what is good for your child. Please understand, I do not think that homeschooling is the only way. However, I do think that a parent who wants to homeschool their child, for whatever reason, is probably right about it being best for them.

Please do stand your ground and don't let well-meaning but ignorant "experts" convince you that you are not able to teach your child. Children learn! They love to learn! You can do it. You will, in time, figure out what works best for you and your child.

Also, please do get legal support. There are many groups, ** who for about $100/year will protect you legally in case the school district, or anyone else, tries to give you a hard time. Know your parental rights, and use them. :)

WARNING...diehard homeschooling parent here...Nothing below is meant to offend anyone! Read at your own risk! ;)

Similar to POWPOW and MOM Paisley, we have always homeschooled our 7 children prior to our life with PANS. It is unbelievable to me how this school has proceeded in your daughter's case. She is your child, YOU have the right of decision-making in her education. It is your right to homeschool her should you choose to exercise it. Like others have said, homeschooling is not for everyone, but I think we can all agree that no one loves your child or has their best interest at heart like you do. There may be just a season for homeschooling for some families. Of course, each family needs to decide what is best for their family and children in their situation.

I could not tell if you are interested in going this route for the long haul, or just during this very difficult time {{hugs there}}. Regardless, you have received lots of good info here. Another place to find lots of info about homeschooling with a summary or link for your state laws....

Homeschooling A2Z Home's Cool Curriculum, Laws, Programs ...

OVER 102.6+ MILLION HOMESCHOOLERS HAVE FOUND A TO Z HOME'S

COOL HOMESCHOOLING SITE REAL COOL!

homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/

There is a lot of info here about curriculum styles and choices available out there.

I could talk all day about homeschooling, but I won't do that to ya! :) I'm a curriculum junkie. Whether your view is for the short or long term, I just would not stress the academics at this point with DD. Just get her home, stop fighting with the school and give her all that love and attention she needs. With the one on one tutoring that hsing affords, you do not need to worry about falling behind. There are some outstanding curriculum choices out there, whatever your family values may be. Also, feel free to PM me any questions.

I hope things calm down for DD and your family and that you have peace about your decisions.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we received homebound instruction (5 hrs week) with a letter from our psychologist. Apparently, they would have challenged or disputed a medical note from one of our three doctors (like last year). Crazy!

We had a meeting this morning at the school, with our psychologist dialed in via phone. The plan is to still try and get her in for an hour half each day at the end of the day (20 min of it is recess), while we work on exposure therapy for vomiting with the psychologist. If the psycologist doesn't see DD moving forward fast enough with therapy, we will then proceed with the USF program. The psychologist is familiar with the intensive program - has even had a few patients complete it and return to her for continuing therapy. I spoke with Dr. Storch on Tuesday- he is extremely polite.

The great thing today at the meeting- Dd's teacher/acting principal (who doesn't really know her full backgroung yet) asked why she had problems with attendance in 2nd grade, none in 3rd grade, and then problems in 4th grade, and also now. My answer: "the entire year of third grade was the only time she was on full abx for lyme treatment". Everyone else at the meeting isn't buying into the whole lyme/pandas dx, even with labs, doctor letters, picture of spirochettes in dd's blood culture.

When (and if) she returns to school full days, I will turn to an advocate to help get that somatization label out of her IEP (that was declined). I don't want it to come back and haunt her in future years. uggh

Thanks everyone for the advice and links! I have all the info printed and ready, if needed.

Philamom,

We are in the same boat. Took ds10 out of 5th grade this year. Is your 5 hours per week homebound limited to 3 months? I thought ours was. I then learned you can receive "In Home" education from the school (from an education lawyer in Berwyn PA) which does not put a limit on how many hours per week you can receive. Can you share your school district? You can PM me if you would like to. I'm new to the forum