ACN Latitudes Forums

Home Schooling

philamom

Hi. My husband and I have decided to pull Dd 11 out of school- 5th grade. She is in a really bad spot right now (will give details later- dealing with a severe, severe phobia - she has tried to harm herself).

I will not have the school's cooperation! Can someone please help me with details on how to go about this. I will need help as I don't think I'm smart enough (or patient enough) to teach the 5th grade curriculum. I am not smarter than a 5th grader ;)

I am lost- please help.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be able to help a little depending on what state you are in. Each state has requirements on how to remove a child from public school and each state has its own requirements for documentation etc for you home schooling her. If you want to pm your state, I can see if I can help with this. I can Google lots of different things to aid you. Here is a start of free online 5th grade curriculum:

5th grade curriculum

We home school kiddo, BUT she has always been home schooled, so no school paperwork needed. Also, my kiddo has numerous learning issues, so we teach mainly reading, writing, natural sciences, life skills math, only relevant history, and government. We do not use a traditional curriculum because kiddo does not learn traditionally at all.

Edited by Mayzoo

Here is a PDF form analyzing the home school laws of Pennsylvania:

Pennsylvania Basic Home school laws

Some sites state you should not tell the school that you are going to home school when you remove her, but based on some of what I read on the PDF form, it appears you will likely need to at least inform the superintendent.

I will post links as I find them. Just wanted to get this one to you so you have a good starting point.

We've looked into the K12 virtual schools for our son as a back up plan if we've ever had to homeschool. Here is the link to some of their options in PA - looks like they have a couple of online charter schools that are tuition fre

K-12 PA

I have recently heard (this is only a rumor right now since I have not had time to look) that the K-12 program teaches creationism and nothing about evolution. This is something to look into for all curriculum depending on your wishes as to what you want taught. Each parent has to decide what teaching philosophy they want to have their child exposed to prior to enrolling in any curriculum.

Here is a link to a book I have used in the past and I like the format of it:

Core curriculum

Edited by Mayzoo

philamom-

I guess the question is, is this temporary (like 6 mos to a year, until things get under control) or permanent?

The reason I ask is, our school has a homebound ed program for ill students. My daughter was able to do this for half of her 5th grade school year, due to ocd/ pandas and school avoidance issues. While I wish we could have gotten appropriate help sooner (USF that summer fixed our problems!) our homebound program was a blessing. All of her classroom teachers came once per week, after school to tutor her. This way, she kept up with the same curriculum as her peers, and kept up relationships with teachers from the school. In sixth grade she went back to school with NO problem. Since your school is in support of you- if this is something that sounds appealing- you might see what program they have.

Good luck!

My son is on his 3rd year of K12 curriculum. His local school district only offered a tutor 2 hrs. a week

. Have not seen anything about evolution in curriculum yet and he has been enrolled since 7th grade. They do have a private paid school side that may focus on that aspect. We are using their free schooling which is funded by public $ so have to limit religious references.

It has worked for my son since he has been so ill. We hope to get him back to his local school some day (2000 students!). Doing this reduced the stress a bit after son got past confrontational behavior with treatment. Before that was a bit more stressful (putting it mildly).

Hope you find a good plan that works for your family.

Much like Julia said, our school district offers the K12 curriculum, and the school district teaches evolution - but I'll be honest, haven't looked into it at that level yet - just trying to keep our fall back positions open. But it's a very good point to make sure the curriculum matches your values as well as the district requirements.

Much like Julia said, our school district offers the K12 curriculum, and the school district teaches evolution - but I'll be honest, haven't looked into it at that level yet - just trying to keep our fall back positions open. But it's a very good point to make sure the curriculum matches your values as well as the district requirements.

We need to investigate more than just religious aspect as well. I was taught some historically inaccurate information in school, and hubby was taught a bunch of incorrect history in an attempt to make America "look good" in almost all instances, when we know America did some less than savory acts through out time. As home schooling parents, we need to try to make sure our kids are getting a decent and accurate education. The last history text book I picked up had quite a few typos in it, and those can be somewhere in between problematic and just annoying depending on the typo.

I looked into k-12 years ago, but despite their name, in my state they do not start until 3rd grade and kiddo was in first grade at the time. I need to try to re-look into it, but she learns in such an nontraditional manner it becomes a bit problematic to use a structured traditional method.

Edited by Mayzoo

Hi. My husband and I have decided to pull Dd 11 out of school- 5th grade. She is in a really bad spot right now (will give details later- dealing with a severe, severe phobia - she has tried to harm herself).

I will not have the school's cooperation! Can someone please help me with details on how to go about this. I will need help as I don't think I'm smart enough (or patient enough) to teach the 5th grade curriculum. I am not smarter than a 5th grader ;)

I am lost- please help.

Thanks in advance!

If the school district gives you any problem, PM me,and I'll give you the name of a very good education lawyer nearby.