ACN Latitudes Forums

Vitamin D - how fast could it work?

Hopeny

I would also like to add -- for those who have difficulty taking D3 -- it can cause a herx-like reaction. It did with my daughter every time I tried to give it to her. We just had to work our way through it. Ibuprofen helped.

nancyd -- thanks so much for sharing your story. my ds recently tested at 20. our dr has developed a vitamin program for him -- zinc being a large part and many other supps you mention. i asked that we hold off on the D as we get started b/c when i have given it in the past, just in thought of health, i have thought i have seen exacerbation of symptoms.

do you recall if the herx lasted a long time? did you work up slowly with the D? how often do you check levels? if you don't mind sharing, who is your dr? (you can PM if don't want to post)

why do you think you put so much value in the D with all the supps you'vve done?

thanks!

The Vitamin D council has some recommendations on doses. Here's a link http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/how-to-get-your-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-supplementation/

Based on the body's indicated daily vitamin D usage, Vitamin D Council recommends the following amounts of supplemental vitamin D3 per day in the absence of proper sun exposure. Due to the variable response discussed above, these are only estimated amounts.

•Healthy children under the age of 1 years – 1,000 IU.

•Healthy children over the age of 1 years – 1,000 IU per every 25 lbs of body weight.

•Healthy adults and adolescents – at least 5,000 IU.

•Pregnant and lactating mothers - at least 6,000 IU.

Additionally, children and adults with chronic health conditions such as autism, MS, cancer, heart disease, or obesity may need as much as double these amounts.

also...

At the IOCDF conf. in Chicago, Dr. Murphy mentioned D (with respect to PANDAS). She said:

"Vitamin D is immune modulating and anti-microbial. 50 is an ideal level."

Btw, I also have in my notes the words "Swedish D study"...I don't know what she meant but I googled and found this:

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/news-archive/2010/update-on-autism-and-vitamin-d/

At the same time, some researchers in the USA continue to deride my theory while scientists in Sweden are starting to piece it together. Three Swedish papers were published this month that support the Vitamin D Theory of Autism.

It makes sense that low D could be a piece in the rise of autism puzzle. 1-2 generations ago, people probably spent more time outside, and were not quite so fanatic about sunscreen.

Edited by EAMom

What I have noticed with my DD, 19, is that when she has had complete meltdowns she retires to her room and usually comes down a couple of hours later acting as though nothing had happened.

Yes, we get those mood swings too. I think she remembers them though.

Is there any possibility that this could have been the Vitamin D????? Or is she just continuing to get better? I have never really seen her recover like this before. How much D are people using? Should I start daily? It seems unbelievable that Vitamin D could be so powerful, could it be?

I don't know about Vitamin D, but I wouldn't dismiss the idea completely. When my DS was 2.5 he was dx on the autism spectrum. He was not using any gestures and although he could say "Mommy" when I showed him a picture of me, he never EVER called me by name or called me at all. My DAN doc gave him a supplement that addressed Methylation. (It has B6, Mb12, TMG, Folinic Acid, zinc and Choline). I gave my DS half a capsule one early morning. About 45 minutes later I was in the kitchen and I saw a little hand snake around the corner- my son was making a come here gesture and then said "Mommy come here I all done with paper!" (he was coloring). I thought i was dreaming!!! It continued- later that day he pointed to a squirrel and said "Look Mommy a squirrel" and that night he called me from his crib to come to him for the very first time. So I don't think anything is out of the realm of possibility! i do think it was the supplement as strange as that may seem.

• 2 weeks later...

If supplementing Vitamin D especially at higher doses it is also important to make sure that the various vitamin D cofactors, especially magnesium, are present. All the Vit D in the world will not have much effect if the child is magnesium deficient as well, Vit D needs Magnesium to do most everything that it does.