ACN Latitudes Forums

sore throat!

Hayley

Wednesday we had the good fortune to see Dr. L who (finally!) gave my dd (7) a difinitive PANDAS diagnosis and prescribed 500 mg 2x daily of augmentin. We are seeing some improvement, but trying not to get our hopes up too much -- cautious optimism!

Tonight just before bedtime dd began complaining of a sore throat. Incidentally, she is not one to complain of a sore throat and, in fact, has NO positive strep test in her history (though Dr. L and Dr. T both have indicated that doesn't mean she hasn't had it). My older daughter (non PANDAS) has had an awful cough the last few nights so we've been kind of holding our breath hoping dd7 would be spared.

So some questions...could dd catch strep or some bacterial throat infection while on abx? If so, would it necessarily prompt symptoms or possibly not with the abx in place? would you get her cultured? wait and see?

We're new at this and I'm not sure how to proceed. Any advice on how you all handle exposure and/or impending illness when already on a full dose of abx would be most welcome!

Thanks!

Amy's probably right. But I have read elsewhere on these boards of kids getting strep even while on abx. It's easy enough to run down to an urgent care place and have a swab taken. I did that recently when my DD complained of a sore throat and the culture grew yeast! I have been religious with probiotics while she's been on anti-strep abx, but wasn't told to do that with abx she took earlier for pneumonia--perhaps the yeast was from that. Have probably been undertreating with garlic tablets.