ACN Latitudes Forums

Amantadine

JAG10

I read the article Nancy posted on reversing ASD and something sent me search which led to something else and I landed on an old Trg girl post about Amantadine which EAMom added some valuable input on AN.

I'm so curious about this drug. It's an old flu drug from the 1960's. I was fascinated by the conditions this drug is being used to treat and how close they hit my family.

• Parkinson's (dh's aunt)
  • MS (dh's dad, brother of aunt above)
  • ADHD (dh and both dd's all display to some degree)
  • Livedo Reticularis (both dd's)
  • Traumatic Brain injury (do I really need to go there?)
  • Dementia (old grandparents on both sides of family)
  • Stroke (gratefully spared)
  • Anorexia
  • PANDAS/PANS???????

So, it's basically an antiviral and it can be combined with Zithromax to treat LYME. I'm totally intrigued and would like to hear any stories related to Amantadine. Are there any down sides to trying it? Trg girl....is your child still on it and is it still successful?

Thanks-Jill

We are currently working to get our ds13 into a neuropsychiatric residential program a longggg :-( way from home--the one drug they speak about to help settle down the limbic system and help the frontal lobe work better is Amantadine. The anxiety/impulsivity/aggression continues to be a nasty mix here. It is a mild glutamate antagonist, too.

We are currently working to get our ds13 into a neuropsychiatric residential program a longggg :-( way from home--the one drug they speak about to help settle down the limbic system and help the frontal lobe work better is Amantadine. The anxiety/impulsivity/aggression continues to be a nasty mix here. It is a mild glutamate antagonist, too.

Iowadawn, have you tried IVIG, steroids or PEX yet? What do you mean a residential program?

I dont know if this is related.

I was searching some other things and found this.

I don't know if it's a scam.

I also don't know if this has been posted before.

A glutathione product.

http://www.healthdiscoveries.net/parkinsons-disease.html

same company as above…just a different page. But at the bottom it states the italicized

http://www.healthdiscoveries.net/neurological-disease.html

ASK US to send you reports from others who have been helped and have improved or recovered from:

Progressive Multiple Sclerosis, Alzheimers,a Brain tumor, Epilepsy, Parkinsons Disease, Tourette syndrome, Guillain Barré syndrome, Lyme disease, Myasthenia gravis, Shingles and Post-Polio syndrome by using this protective protein.

Iowadawn,

Do you feel comfortable naming the neuropsych residential program? I ask because every doctor I went to for a long time was convinced DD's issues were purely psychiatric and DH wanted her put in a program. I was convinced issues had medical origin (ultimately proved right!) and so as an accommodation to both views looked hard for a psych residential program that would really do a thorough job on the medical side. I couldn't find anything except the Pavillion at McLean that is largely a two week diagnostic program. There is also the Retreat at Sheppard Pratt but it looked like I would have to push constantly to get the medical side looked at.

If you aren't comfortable could you PM me--would like the name of a place just in case. Thanks.

JAG10,

Yes my daughter is still on it and it is very helpful. It helps with focus mainly. It is the only drug so far that we have found that helps with focus and that is after trying MANY different things including stimulants with terrible side effects. We use Minocycline and Amantadine together. So far we haven't seen any "down side" to it.

Just fyi, Zithromax did not work for us. It made her very hard to get along with. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Edited by Trg girl

PowPow,

Thanks for the ention of Rogers. My DS is slated to get IVIG and I've been thinking of getting him into program to deal with remaining OCD. I had thought of USF, but at 22 he's really too old for me to go with him and I was wondering how to arrange housing if he went. Rogers might be a better way to go.

When you say a residential program- is that like a long term stay place for mentally ill kids/adults? I am at a loss to why these options are even being discussed. These kids can get well!

I'm happy to hear your child is doing well enough that you've never considered this an option. For some of us, things are so bad that we feel we cannot take care of our children or keep them safe at home. Its really an individual decision as we all are doing the best we can for our kids.

Lauren,

Long term residential places are typically for kids with psychiatric and/or behavioral problems that need intensive treatment that is difficult to achieve on an outpatient basis. I was definitely urged by DD's psychiatrist and therapist to go this route. Though her brother had PANDAS it did not occur to me until this year she might have it too--he had a very classic child presentation, while hers was a more atypical adolescent presentation. A big reason I looked into this route but didn't take is that DD didn't want to go. Under that circumstance, the only way to get them there is to hire people to take them away in the middle of the night, and I refused to put DD through something so traumatic. That is in addition to medical issues that I did not think any of the residential places I looked at could even begin to address. In most of these places, you are lucky if a doctor comes by once a week.

Iowadawn has found a place that deals with neuropsychiatric illnesses, which of course PANDAS is. While PANDAS is treatable, if it goes undx'ed and untreated for a long time and becomes chronic, many issues can arise that when mixed in with adolscents can become quite explosive.

Ko's Mom