ACN Latitudes Forums

MRSA Infection

I discovered a angry red doughnut size swelling with a center nodule on the inner aspect of my 13 yo son's leg a couple days ago. We brought him to urgent care, and he was diagnosed (by external exam only-- no culture) with MRSA infection (methicillin resistant staph infection) and put on doxycycline. He is on rifampin, zithromax, probenecid, augmentin xr and a bunch of anti-inflammatory supplements already. Does anyone have experience with this? My son's PANDAS symptoms have increased dramatically.

Thanks,

Sharon

I discovered a angry red doughnut size swelling with a center nodule on the inner aspect of my 13 yo son's leg a couple days ago. We brought him to urgent care, and he was diagnosed (by external exam only-- no culture) with MRSA infection (methicillin resistant staph infection) and put on doxycycline. He is on rifampin, zithromax, probenecid, augmentin xr and a bunch of anti-inflammatory supplements already. Does anyone have experience with this? My son's PANDAS symptoms have increased dramatically.

Thanks,

Sharon

Our family has had lots of experience with this type of thing. It can't definitively be called MRSA without a culture. If it doesn't respond quickly to the doxy, or if he gets a fever, get him to an ER fast. In 2 cases, we had to have the pocket lanced and drained. It can become systemic quickly if it gets to the fever stage.

I have been dealing with what looks like to be staph... not confirmed MRSA.

I was getting little sores that itched like crazy, like bug bites under my skin that would develop into sores. Taking natural sulphur along with antibiotics helped tremendously. Also taking baths in MMS (not FDA approved but very helpful to us) to contain topical spreading on me and then to other family members. I have also been dealing with sinus and gum infection that might also be staph (or combination of stuff - biofilms/parasites/infection) since last February. My gums have been receding over canines for last 15 years. I did not recognize as infection and our old dentist wanted to graft gums to resolve issue. I opted to live with the issue as it wasn't that bothersome. We started to gargle with MMS to stave off spreading of bacterial infection that entered household in August and the side benefit was my gums started to soften and lower after 15 years. Although not fully resolved sinus/gums, I am hopeful it will be.

Anyway, our LLMD is taking the sinus/gum infection very seriously and I am working up to new protocol which includes Augmentin XR/Avelox/Melorone. I am getting a lot of relief from the Augmentin XR already and have not rotated to full protocol yet.

Minimally, you should be try to contain staph in household and not pass back and forth to family members. If you are uncomfortable using something like bathing in MMS speak with your Dr. on how you would handle exposure in household. Your son is on a lot but I would still expect a herxheimer response given the infection and addition of antibiotic.

Wishing you all the best in dealing with this.

Edited by SF Mom

I have been dealing with what looks like to be staph... not confirmed MRSA.

I was getting little sores that itched like crazy, like bug bites under my skin that would develop in to sores. Taking natural sulphur along with antibiotics helped tremendously. Also taking baths in MMS (not FDA approved but very helpful to us) to contain topical spreading on me and to other family members. I have also been dealing with sinus and gum infection that might also be staph (or combination of stuff - biofilms/parasites) related since last February. My gums have been receding over canines for last 15 years. I did not recognize as infection and our old dentist wanted to graft gums to resolve issue. I opted to live with the issue as it wasn't that bothersome. We started to gargle with MMS to stave off spreading of bacterial infection in household in August and the side benefit was my gums started to soften and lower after 15 years. Although not fully resolved sinus/gums, I am hopeful it will be.

Anyway, our LLMD is taking the sinus/gum infection very seriously and I am working up to new protocol which includes Augmentin XR/Avelox/Melorone. I am getting a lot of relief from the Augmentin XR already and have not rotated to full protocol yet.

Minimally, you should be try to contain staph in household and not pass back and forth to family members. If you are uncomfortable using something like bathing in MMS speak with your Dr. on how you would handle exposure in household. Your son is on a lot but I would still expect a herxheimer response given the infection and addition of antibiotic.

Wishing you all the best in dealing with this.

I agree with SF Mom - it sounds like could be a bad case of staph, and regardless you need to be sure the family isn't passing the infection around; for us it may have been bath towels, which we now wash daily and don't share. Also used anti bacterial soap (not like Ivory or gentle soaps) and antibacterial nasal salve.