ACN Latitudes Forums

Fish Oil Sensitivity?/Disneyworld Suggestions

Gina

Hello All,

It's been a long time since I have posted here. To recap, I have an 11 year old son (Daniel) with tourettes. He was diagnosed at age 6. We have had things pretty much under control until the past few months. He has a really bad neck tic where he thrusts his neck foward and to the side. It's been really hard for him because he hasn't had real noticable tics in a while and on top of it looking strange and people asking him why he's doing that it has also become painful for him. I had to pick him up last week from school because he had a migrain for the first time. I think its because his neck is all out of wack. I know with most of the information that I have read this is the age where tics can become bad due to puberty but I dont know if thats it . I hate the guessing game......

Well I started him on Fish Oil in addition to his other vitamins (Nordic Naturals - Childrens DHA) that we got from his doctor and I think he might be a bit sensitive to them. It seemed like his neck tic got worse and he added some facial/eye tics too. I know some of you here have used other stuff when fish oil cant be taken but I can't remeber what it was.

And to top it all off We are heading to Disneyworld on Friday which normally I would be saying "Yea! "but I know between all the rides and excitment he is going to tic more which will result in intense neck ticcing and more pain for him. Not to mention the food issues. I'm hoping to try and stay as artificial/preservative free as we possible can. But its going to be hard I'm sure. Any suggestions????

Thanks

Gina

Hi Gina

flaxseed oil is the best substitute for fishoil to get Omega 3. MANY people react to fishoil with increased tics

there was a thread a while ago when Giselle I think was heading to Disney with lots of good advice

try doing a search with her user name.

If you dont find it I will look later as I am working atpresent and cant take too long

I live about 30 miles north of DisneyWorld :D

Hi Gina,

Here is the post I think Chemar was talking about: http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...=1537&hl=Disney

Also here is a site on special dietary needs at Disney World: http://www.allearsnet.com/din/special.htm

I don't know if Daniel is sensitive to any foods or not, but accordingly to the Gluten/Casein free kids (GFCFKids) and Autism forums Disney World is very good at accomodating this so I would think they would also be very good at accomodating no artificials/preservatives.

Carolyn

Hi there, my son can't tolerate fish oils either and he is on flax and borage. Not only does he get flax as a supplement but he gets some oil squirted into his salad, he gets ground up flax seeds in his pancakes, and in his muffins. Our DAN doctor also recommends hemp oil but it didn't agree with Hoyt but you could try it.

Disneyland is very accomodating for allergies so I'm sure that DisneyWorld is too - simply awesome actually. I think if you call ahead you can find out the different restaurants that serve gluten free, or will fry things in whatever oil you can tolerate - they are usually the sit down type though - but call ahead. I know there is a gluten free treat - it's the rice crispy Mickey Head - but unfortunately my son is allergic to corn and they use marshmallows in it (corn based). They also have great Minute Maid frozen treats that are pretty clean allergen wise. They'll let you look at ingredients so ask away - plus they have fruit stands scattered throughout. They also let you bring your own snacks in - saves you time and money. One thing that we've found out is that they only serve Dansani water (Coke manufactured) and our son simply cannot drink it - I think it's because it has potassium chloride added (they say for taste!). It makes his tics worse, so we bring our own - so perhaps check this before you go.

Regarding the neck tic. Chiropractic care is so much a part of our life. It seems when they get an adjustment it releaves all the pressure that has built up and causes them to tic in that spot - everytime my son gets adjusted from a painful tic the tic and pain go away there and he usually ends up doing a smaller less impactful tic. He had a horrible neck and shoulder tic - when he was put "in" the tic moved to his fingers and a little hand crunch - so much easier on him.

Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful time in D-World!

Giselle

Thanks for all the information ladies....

I will try the flaxseed oil when we get back from Disneyworld. Unfortunatly Dan will not go to a chiropractor. I took him about a year ago and they cracked his neck and he didn't like it one bit. He was so mad at me and the chiropractor that I don't think he will ever go back. When we were visiting my Mom a few months ago Dan did go to a chiropractor that dosent crack and he loved it but there are none by where we live. I can't even get him to go for a neck massage. Can you imagine turning down a massage..........

Thanks again for the info.

Gina