ACN Latitudes Forums

Anyone take a break from probiotics and just do antifungal?

lismom

Since PANDAS 3 years ago and lyme/bart diagnosis 1 1/2 years ago I have been religiously giving probiotics. I have switched them up but it always seems like my sons body sort of rejects them slightly. Symptoms seem increased. i realize that there is a battle going on in the gut, but could the probiotics be leaking to circulate the body, as in leaky gut? I know bart affects the gut in some. Input would be appreciated. Thanks, Kathy

Since PANDAS 3 years ago and lyme/bart diagnosis 1 1/2 years ago I have been religiously giving probiotics. I have switched them up but it always seems like my sons body sort of rejects them slightly. Symptoms seem increased. i realize that there is a battle going on in the gut, but could the probiotics be leaking to circulate the body, as in leaky gut? I know bart affects the gut in some. Input would be appreciated. Thanks, Kathy

I cannot imagine taking a break from probiotics as long as the person is on antibiotics. The normal gut is populated by millions of various bacteria and without those bacteria the gut cannot operate properly. All you are trying to do with probiotics is to replenish bacteria that the antibiotics have killed. My wife recently started amoxicllin for strep. She had a stomach ache within the hour. 40 billion units of multiple probiotics and her stomach pain was gone.

As for me I found my gut symptoms from bart dramatically improved after starting antibiotics.

Red

Edited by red

I would not skip the probiotics- if you give an anti-fungal, you are still wiping out good flora.

My dd does well with Custom Probiotics- I use the CP-1 Adult formula, since it is a pill.

Also like Theralac, Kirkman (not Kirkland Costco brand) Lacto. Duo-

I take VSL as I do not mind/react to strep strain- avoid that for dd, also avoid sacc. B for her.

I wouldn't dream of stopping probiotics. even with leaky gut.

S&S is there a reason you avoid Sach B? I ask because I wonder why this is needed. I know my son takes it, and it's supposedly a beneficial yeast, but I question this.

edit for typos

Edited by socalmom

I avoid it because my dd has ALWAYS had a negative reaction to it- not a die off reaction, I know what that looks like.

She does well on other probiotics that help keep her gut in check.

I have also read the sacc. B can be overdone-

On the other hand, if the gut is prone to clostrida, sacc. B can be a huge help.

FWIW, dd has never had clostrida show up on any OAT or stool tests we've run, but yeast overgrowth always- perhaps that's the connection-

don't know for sure, but sacc. B is a no go here.

My son also does poorly on Sacc B - it's almost like a yeast flair. If I stop the Sacc B, he calms down. It's too bad, because it's so much cheaper than other probiotics, but for whatever reason, he can't tolerate it. So we use Theralac, Truflora (2x/wk) and others mixed in. 15-30 billion CFUs/day. Like S&S, we've found that higher doses aren't necessarily better, at least for my kids. But I agree with the others - we take them religiously and I wouldn't recommend stopping them while on abx.

We also use garlic pills as an anti-yeast tool - 1000mg/day - make sure you order the odorless - the regular garlic makes me burp garlic all night. When I first introduced garlic, I saw an increase in silliness, hyperness and mood swings the first week. Suspect it was a yeast die-off. Then things steadied.

My son also does poorly on Sacc B - it's almost like a yeast flair. If I stop the Sacc B, he calms down. It's too bad, because it's so much cheaper than other probiotics, but for whatever reason, he can't tolerate it. So we use Theralac, Truflora (2x/wk) and others mixed in. 15-30 billion CFUs/day. Like S&S, we've found that higher doses aren't necessarily better, at least for my kids. But I agree with the others - we take them religiously and I wouldn't recommend stopping them while on abx.

We also use garlic pills as an anti-yeast tool - 1000mg/day - make sure you order the odorless - the regular garlic makes me burp garlic all night. When I first introduced garlic, I saw an increase in silliness, hyperness and mood swings the first week. Suspect it was a yeast die-off. Then things steadied.

For more information on garlic see http://www.allicin.com/

Red

LLM- what brand garlic capsules do you give your kiddos? I'm thinking of stopping the Nystatin to run the Metagenics stool test- Wouldn't mind supplementing with something else for the yeast.

Thanks for the link, Red. As I was reading, I kept feeling that the article was focusing too much on one component, because I've come across dozens of things suggesting garlic's health benefits. So I was glad to see this at the end of the article:

Various forms of garlic, which contain no allicin (e.g., cooked, steamed, microwaved and aged garlic extract), have demonstrated an array of benefits in studies. Therefore, it is logical that compounds other than allicin are responsible for such benefits. To date, well over 100 compounds have been�identified in garlic preparations.18 Presently, S-allyl cysteine appears to be a very promising compound with good absorption.19 The pharmacokinetic studies of S-allyl cysteine demonstrated rapid absorption and almost 100% bioavailability after oral administration. In addition, since both the safety and effectiveness of S-allyl cysteine have been reported, this compound appears to play an important role in garlic's medicinal effects.12,13

Synergism Though individual compounds, such as S-allyl cysteine, have shown activity in studies and are absorbed by the body, it is likely that a synergism of various compounds provide the benefits of garlic. This is in agreement with Dr. Koch, a renowned Austrian scientist who stated that the activity of various sulfur compounds could not alone be responsible for the benefits of garlic and fixation on a single group of components can lead to mistakes and wrong conclusions.20

All I know is that garlic has health benefits, I saw improvements from adding it to our regimen and it doesn't break the bank, so I'll keep with it.

Philamom - no brand in particular. I've been happy with Nature's Bounty (which you can get at CVS) and NOW Foods, currently using Nature's Way b/c it was on sale when I placed my last Amazon supplements order (I generally order multiple things at once to get free shipping). I did mistakenly order a high dose garlic from NOW and didn't realize it wasn't odorless. I tried to soldier thru it for a week but couldn't handle the garlic-y indigestion and that jar now sits in my box of Supplement Orphans - the ones that didn't pan out but I can't bring myself to toss. Maybe I'll use it for cooking :D So odorless is my only requirement, not brand.

Anyone ever use Candida Clear by NOW foods (Paul D'Arco, Black Walnut, Oregano Oil, Biotin, Caprylic Acid) for yeast in chidren? I see it has a bulb of garlic listed under other ingredients.

I used a similar product called candida cleanse with same ingridients used 1 drop at bedtime, my son woke up 10 hrs later paranoid and dark brown urine, It was so strange, i had never seen anything like it, urine had strong odor and he tried to hide under his bed.(he's 5) I wont attempt that again. Interestingly when whisked him off to culture his urine it showed Strep D! lab at urgent care poh poohed this saying it was "contamination" I re cultured at Ped, and came up with nothing, which made my son's Pedi really look at me like i was nuts :( I suspect the black walnut may have had a role in provoking this.