ACN Latitudes Forums

Help with dairy and gluten

dpet

Ran ASO on my 6 yr old. It came back wnl but he had pos strep July 1. Also his blood work showed he did have milk and wheat allergy as well as grass and ragweed. So I'm looking into the GFCF diet. I'm sure a lot of u are doing this. Can I get your responses on how well this worked for you or yr child and how long before you seen improvement? Thanks to all!

Casein, or dairy, once removed 100%, leaves in about 3 days.

Gluten longer, full 6 months or so, but I noticed a difference sooner.

The deal is, it has to be completely 100%.

The good news, there is much more selection readily available in your grocery store,

bad news, your grocery bill will increase.

I put dd GF/CF and then soy free 100% when she was 4- it was the first health/biomedical intervention we did for her, and at the time, I saw a significant improvement in her social anxiety.

I was strict- she was 100% for 2 solid years and I worked on her gut.

Beginning of this year, gave her back G/C/S, but with digestive enzymes.

Ironically, at the same time, I myself came back 'highly intolerant' for gluten,

and I'm now 100% GF. I keep with it as I see it help with my inflammation-

Tell yourself you will give it your best try, and if you see no improvements in time, you can always go back.

Ran ASO on my 6 yr old. It came back wnl but he had pos strep July 1. Also his blood work showed he did have milk and wheat allergy as well as grass and ragweed. So I'm looking into the GFCF diet. I'm sure a lot of u are doing this. Can I get your responses on how well this worked for you or yr child and how long before you seen improvement? Thanks to all!

We found out during DS first PANDAS episode that he has Celiac Disease so we have been GF since Sept of 2011. I also removed about 90% of milk as well although I do allow occasional cheese. I really think that going GFCF has been a big part in his ongoing recovery and definitely one piece in the PANDAS puzzle. It has also really helped me clean up his diet in general- mostly organic, no dyes, GMOs etc since most of the gluten free things also have these great qualities.

It is, as other posters have mentioned, a big commitment if you want to do this. Gluten is in so many things and hidden in so many things. We have to avoid gluten in bath products, play do etc-- things you wouldn't even think of, but it is worth it! We also did allergy testing at Dr. Murphy's request because she felt like allergies were a huge trigger for my DS (she was correct!) Sp we found out that he is also IGE allergic to Wheat and Rye. You may want to have Celiac testing done and also a test called Anti Gliadin (the protein in gluten) IGG. This can tell you if your DS in addition to the wheat is having an auto immune reaction to gluten, even if the celiac test is negative. My DS came back off the charts-- literally-- on that test.

Feel free to PM me if you would like help getting started--- we can chat on the phone if you would like. It is hard in the beginning but it gets much easier. There are so many great substitutes now and we have found through trial and error many products that the whole family now prefers to gluten ones!

Jeanie

Edited by MomtoJake