ACN Latitudes Forums

Help with hyperactivity

dpet

My 6 yr old is on a 30 day trial of penicillin. It has been 4 days and he a tally came home in a much calmer mood today. I gave him a fish oil supplement, penicillin , and a third of an adult dose of probiotic( which he's never had before) within 30 min to a hour he became hyper, silly and defiant. Could any of these be a trigger?

My 6 yr old is on a 30 day trial of penicillin. It has been 4 days and he a tally came home in a much calmer mood today. I gave him a fish oil supplement, penicillin , and a third of an adult dose of probiotic( which he's never had before) within 30 min to a hour he became hyper, silly and defiant. Could any of these be a trigger?

I'd say its either the penicillan or probiotic-

The abx may be promoting gut yeast (which makes my kid hyper, silly and defiant) and/or the probiotic is killing yeast. When yeast dies it releases toxins that cause those symptoms as well. What kind of probiotic are you using?

Lactobacillus. One other thing I forgot to mention is the fact that he's always picking at his rear end. I never thought much about that other than maybe he wasn't getting himself clean enough. Then I read on here that sometimes that can mean you are dealing with parasitic infection?

just suggesting you may want to research d-lactate acidosis. is generally something very rare that only occurs in people with short bowel resections. it's bizarre so no way i can really suggestg i think that is your son's issue -- just mentioning it could be something you may want to be aware of.

i believe my ds expereienced something similar while taking a high level probiotic. i think it is commonly talked about in the autiism world that kids can have trouble with d-lactate.

also, my son did have issues with parasites and did have the same symptom you mention.

Edited by smartyjones

For immediate relief, try motrin. Even if it's yeast causing the silliness, motrin calms my kids down.

For longer term, try rotating probiotics and/or using something that has a blend of strains. We use Truflora twice a week for yeast and Theralac 5 days/week. Many here like Sacc. Boulardis, which unlike other probiotics, can be taken at the same time as antibiotics. My son doesn't do well on Sacc B. so we avoid it. But it's a great option for many. As for dose, there's no "set" dose for kids vs. adults. Remember that the label is for adults who aren't assaulting their guts with antibiotics. So you may need to go higher. Just build up over time, increasing dose every few days rather than all at once, or you could get gas/bloating. More is not always better. And probiotics aren't cheap. So you need to find your own sweet spot. Probiotics last longer if they're refrigerated. I prefer to buy mine from our doctor or health food store where they're refrigerated. It can be a bit more expensive but no point in spending a lot of money on stuff that's already dead.

We also use garlic pills to fight yeast. One 1000mg pill at dinnertime (make sure it says "odorless" on the label). Even with a daily probiotic regimen, my DD would occasionally have a yeast issue. Garlic + probiotics now keep that at bay.