ACN Latitudes Forums

DD10 developed tremor in hand yesterday

She woke up yesterday with a tremor in her right hand and her left hand felt weak and numb. She was also complaining of heel pain and a tummy ache. Heel pain, tremor and weakness are all new symptoms (her brother and myself do have Bart). I emailed her LLMD and got no response and their office is closed today.

The tremor was quite pronounced. I gave her an Epsom Salt bath and it stopped the tremor for a few hours. I took her to school this morning and within an hour she was in the Nurse's office with the tremor back and worse than yesterday. Brought her home and gave her another bath. The tremor was better but still there.

So I don't know if this is a herx or a new symptom. On Saturday she had three drops of GSE (down from her normal 5 due to school starting). On Sunday she had a weird episode where she was kicking her feet, rocking, clutching her pants, crying, and repeating "I need help. I can't stop." Took us about 30 minutes to calm her down and for the motions to stop. Emailed LLMD on Monday and all he suggested was drop GSE down to 1 drop for awhile.

Now this happened yesterday and today. The only other change we have made is to add the Mag Cream at bedtime. I rub a small amount on her back and her feet. I can see it causing the heel pain since it has been directly applied to her feet but the tremors? Also, she has been taking Milk of Magnesium for the last couple of years without any issues. Epsom salt baths aren't a problem either.

So I don't know if I should take her to the ER and insist they do a MRI or ride it out until Monday and see what she is like. Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by ShaesMom

i don't have an answer on most of your question...

But i don't like the idea of milk of magnesia especially long term

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-326-milk+of+magnesia+oral.aspx?drugid=326&drugname=milk+of+magnesia+oral

and check out the side effects tab too

also takes away vital minerals

http://www.livestrong.com/milk-of-magnesia-side-effects/

i also thought m of M contains aluminum

here is what i found real quick

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-326-milk+of+magnesia+oral.aspx?drugid=326&drugname=milk+of+magnesia+oral&dmid=1207&dmtitle=ALUMINUM;%20MAGNESIUM-CONTAINING%20COMPOUNDS/GABAPENTIN&intrtype=DRUG&pagenumber=9

in relation to that med for epilepsy/ it mentions seizures. so if i conteracts that med..who's to say long term it would not do the same in depleteing what the body needs to make it effective.

not trying to make you worry...just need to think long term

here is more

http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/symptoms/heartburn/medications.html

works as deoderant because of aluminum

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2011/06/09/hot-enough-for-you-and-your-deodorant/

here is one that says there may not be a link....but my aunt used to drink MoM everyday for many years...and...well...the last part of her life was trying....

http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=99

Edited by Fixit

dont' have much time now but. . . does she have any history of migraine headaches? the weakness and numbness in hand can be migraine related. i get migraines -- our integrative MD beleives tick-borne illness related. first began when i was around 11 -- i have aura with them which entails many strange symptoms -- easiest way to describe is stroke-like.

there is some tie with magnesiium and migraines -- many people use magnesium to help try to treat. you may want to google or mention to a neurologisst. let me know if you want more info to investigare if could be that.

Thank you for your concern. However, after a life long battle with chronic, and by chronic I mean severe, constipation; MOM is the only laxative we have found that gives her some relief. All of her Doctor's are aware of her daily dose and have actually encouraged us to up the dosage until we find the right amount that will allow her to have a daily bowel movement. I do not really like that she has to rely on this med and prefer that she was able to go on her own. Unfortunately, whenever we back off she gets constipated again.

No need for anyone to point me in the direction of Miralax. Been down that road and she was poisoned by the polyethylene glycol-"Miralax toxicity" as it is called. Very scary experience. Not to mention that it has never been tested on nor approved for use in children or for more than a period of two weeks in adults. Lets not forget that while PEG 3350 is not antifreeze itself-they are made from the same compound. If you can't tell-Miralax is my soapbox. I HATE the stuff.

dont' have much time now but. . . does she have any history of migraine headaches? the weakness and numbness in hand can be migraine related. i get migraines -- our integrative MD beleives tick-borne illness related. first began when i was around 11 -- i have aura with them which entails many strange symptoms -- easiest way to describe is stroke-like.

there is some tie with magnesiium and migraines -- many people use magnesium to help try to treat. you may want to google or mention to a neurologisst. let me know if you want more info to investigare if could be that.

Large family history of migraines including in myself. She gets them after IVig. She did mention having a headache/migraine the last two days. So you are saying that the magnesium would be helpful?

The other thing we have noticed is that when she is having a tremor her fingers and hand are colder than the other hand.

Edited by ShaesMom

She woke up yesterday with a tremor in her right hand and her left hand felt weak and numb. She was also complaining of heel pain and a tummy ache. Heel pain, tremor and weakness are all new symptoms (her brother and myself do have Bart). I emailed her LLMD and got no response and their office is closed today.

The tremor was quite pronounced. I gave her an Epsom Salt bath and it stopped the tremor for a few hours. I took her to school this morning and within an hour she was in the Nurse's office with the tremor back and worse than yesterday. Brought her home and gave her another bath. The tremor was better but still there.

So I don't know if this is a herx or a new symptom. On Saturday she had three drops of GSE (down from her normal 5 due to school starting). On Sunday she had a weird episode where she was kicking her feet, rocking, clutching her pants, crying, and repeating "I need help. I can't stop." Took us about 30 minutes to calm her down and for the motions to stop. Emailed LLMD on Monday and all he suggested was drop GSE down to 1 drop for awhile.

Now this happened yesterday and today. The only other change we have made is to add the Mag Cream at bedtime. I rub a small amount on her back and her feet. I can see it causing the heel pain since it has been directly applied to her feet but the tremors? Also, she has been taking Milk of Magnesium for the last couple of years without any issues. Epsom salt baths aren't a problem either.

So I don't know if I should take her to the ER and insist they do a MRI or ride it out until Monday and see what she is like. Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bart is pretty complicated/complex. It can cause a whole host of symptoms. I assume she is taking a wide range of probiotics and I assume she is on antibiotics? But an MRI? MRI would be looking for some physical abnormality vs. a neurological disease like bart. As for her heels hurting my bet would be on the bart causing the pain and not the mag cream. What is the purpose of the mag cream? Staying well hydrated and maybe even adding small amount of supplemental electrolytes might be helpful. Mag is one of the most important supplements we can take as it is necessary for hundreds of biochemical processes in the body. As for her kicking her feet, rocking, clutching her pants etc I think it is obvious she is highly inflamed: whether it is herx or not if she is on antibiotics she needs a break. I have tried to push myself through to many herxs/inflammatory episodes and the only outcome is to make it worse. I am a big believer in taking myself to the breaking point and backing up from there to where it is tolerable. If need be then a holiday from meds is in order. Anything more than that stresses the body beyond our mental capacity to cope and our physiological capacity to heal.

Red

The MRI is a great idea and also checking levels of dopamine. Some symptoms like hand tremors and vertigo can mimic symptoms of other neurological issues that are treatable temporarily with like an antagonist etc.

Consider getting a workup from a neurologist just incase.

I wish I was more support but that is where I would turn with these symptoms just to rule out something more serious than a herx.

I am so sorry she is going through this. Hugs.

You also mentioned a tummy ache. Is she constipated? I just want to share with you that my son was cycling every 7 days with symptoms for two months. After much testing and investigating it turned out that he was being triggered by IBS. He was put on flagyl and pepcid and has been symptom free nearly a month. His symptoms were constipation, acid reflux and then a host of neuropsych symptoms including heel pain and itching that stung like bees. It is currently gone with the treatement I mentioned.

What an awful disease!!!!!!!! I do think the tremors could be related. The GSE seems the likely source and would stop completely until you talk with LLMD on Monday. Hopefully things will settle in the same amount of time since starting... 72 hours. GSE is a cyst buster too and maybe why you are seeing such a immediate and huge response.

As for constipation. Have you treated for parasites? We had this issue with younger DS and has resolved since using digestive enzymes and treating heavily for parasites. I posted an interesting video regarding Autism and parasites and the use of MMS recently. I am not endorsing the use of MMS as it is not FDA approved. However their perspective is interesting on potential number of parasites involved in ASD causing inflammation in the intestinal track, constipation and GI issues. It might be worth watching video... I am reposting link for you. We've treated parasites with Alinia (at least six months) and MSM 'natural sulphur' which treats nematodes. It might be worth a shot treating for parasites or at least discussing with LLMD since you've had so many GI issues. As an antibiotic Alinia provide a lot of cross over treatment for other TBI infections and viruses. Our LLMD uses it frequently.

Here is the link.

What an awful disease!!!!!!!! I do think the tremors could be related. The GSE seems the likely source and would stop completely until you talk with LLMD on Monday. Hopefully things will settle in the same amount of time since starting... 72 hours. GSE is a cyst buster too and maybe why you are seeing such a immediate and huge response.

As for constipation. Have you treated for parasites? We had this issue with younger DS and has resolved since using digestive enzymes and treating heavily for parasites. I posted an interesting video regarding Autism and parasites and the use of MMS recently. I am not endorsing the use of MMS as it is not FDA approved. However their perspective is interesting on potential number of parasites involved in ASD causing inflammation in the intestinal track, constipation and GI issues. It might be worth watching video... I am reposting link for you. We've treated parasites with Alinia (at least six months) and MSM 'natural sulphur' which treats nematodes. It might be worth a shot treating for parasites or at least discussing with LLMD since you've had so many GI issues. As an antibiotic Alinia provide a lot of cross over treatment for other TBI infections and viruses. Our LLMD uses it frequently.

Here is the link.

I can't get the link to work. Says the content is not online.

I read an earlier post you had about the MMS and found it quite intriquing. Did you test younger DS for the parasites or did you just treat? We are headed to Cincinnati in a couple of weeks for the quarterly GI appt and I am planning on asking a lot of questions about parasites this go around.

Here is the link.

I can't get the link to work. Says the content is not online.

I read an earlier post you had about the MMS and found it quite intriquing. Did you test younger DS for the parasites or did you just treat? We are headed to Cincinnati in a couple of weeks for the quarterly GI appt and I am planning on asking a lot of questions about parasites this go around.

Speaking of parasites I think this is a good read.

Pig parasite may help treat autoimmune disorders

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/24/us-usa-health-parasites-idUKBRE87N0UW20120824

Red

Yes, we did comprehensive stool analysis and ART for parasites. Two kids were positive for parasites and saw great resolution with treatment. The third child was treated with Alinia initially for Lyme et al and when we finally tested her she was clear of parasites. DH had two parasites and took almost a year to clear. Edit: However, it is hard to test for some parasites (video talks about difficulties) and not even sure if there is a test for nematodes. Some comprehensive stool analysis just pick up 'unknown parasite' and is what we found in our kids. We used Metametrix for comprehensive. http://www.metametrix.com/

Reposting link to see if it helps/works. It will be interesting what your GI Dr. says about parasites for DD.

Edited by SF Mom

DS gets migraines, tremors, and a whole host of different neurological symptoms (including non-epileptic seizures.) Arms and legs get a weird, tingling feeling, numbness, severe weakness, and then it turns into tremors.

Usually, we find out later that he's sick with something like strep (btw, he also has lyme, bartonella, babesia and erlichiosis.) I would suspect in your child's case that there may be some kind of infection/environmental issue going on, in addition to the lyme/bart, and may be triggering more. Could she have strep, mycoP, a virus, mold (we have had that problem for the past month, and all of our bart symptoms are way bigger...my hands are tingling and numb and night, and my feet are getting sore, plus DS's neuropsych symptoms have taken a huge turn for the worst.) I would test to see if she's sick with something in addition to the lyme/co-infections.

Good luck.