ACN Latitudes Forums

How does IVIG work with Dr. B when.........

Hi,

We are going to see Dr. B in Sept. My son has already had 1 IVIG in a doctors office locally prescribed by another pandas doc. 2 months ago. Now United Healthcare requires all subsequent IVIG's to be infused in home. How does this work when you consult another doctor? Has anyone been to see Dr. B out of state and then had him order IVIG. Will he treat you if you are required to get your subsequent IVIG's in your home per United Healthcare.

I would really appreciate someone letting me know how this works.

Thanks.

Editing to ask this also.....Does Dr. B used emla and Versed or something like that for IV insertion becasue that part of the first IVIG was really nice for our son.

Edited by Kimflow

Let me just say, I cannot answer any of these questions. We have almost the exact same questions. The travel expenses are draining our reserves very quickly, so we would really like to be able to do IVIg at home or at least in our home state.

Has anyone been able to have IVIg through Dr. B, but at home or at an infusion center in their home state?

P.S. DS, 13 is getting his second IVIg (with Dr. B), today. He and DH flew out yesterday and hope they will fly home on Wed!

Cobbie

Unless he has changed his answer since we asked this a year and a half ago...he told us, no. Said something about having done that in the past, but the patient's other doctor didn't follow the correct procedures and it became a sticky problem for him.... Don't quote me! It was something like that!

We asked this, as well. We were told that Dr. B only ordered his own product and used it in his own facilities. This was six months ago, but at that time we were told that Dr. B. would not write an order for IVIG other than under those circumstances and that he wouldn't order the product from other than his own supplier, regardless of whether insurance had an issue with that. He did say that if we found a local doc to be DS's primary physician and that this person was comfortable serving in the role of primary, he would at least e-mail exchange or speak with your local doc on the phone to give an opinion, if asked.

We have been going to Dr. B for 1 1/2 years and at the start I asked this question. I was told that the only way he will do it is if administered in the office infusion center, and that he could not be responsible for any other method. It IS very costly and difficult. I understand and hope you are able to work it out. I have found that most everyone there comes from out of state or even country.

As far as any meds given for IV insertion, I don't know since my kids are older and tolerate it well.

Thank you for everyone's responses.

I guess the next place I have to call is the insurance company because as long as UHC will still pay for the IVIG pharmacy part, I can pay for the "nursing iv administration part".

Tiffany, I just know that for my "type" of United Health care this is what I was told...they will pay for the first IVIG in the office but all subsequent IVIG's must be home administered.

When my daughter was in a severe physical flair in Jan/Feb and could not leave the house, I was unable to get his assistance in getting a home infusion done. She's been getting IVIG at his location for some time. We were able to get coverage thru a local doctor and had two infusions done at home. She was then able to travel to CT again. So from my experience, I doubt he would write an order for somewhere else.

We use the EMLA cream before infusions. I have my own rx and bring it with us - put it on 30-45 minutes prior.