ACN Latitudes Forums

"Autobiographical Memories"/OCD

My husband heard this story on public radio today about people with "autobiographical memories."

http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/npr/158779474/why-can-some-people-recall-every-day-of-their-lives-brain-scans-offer-clues

Interestingly, they also had OCD. So were they born with OCD or did they have infection as a child that led to their autobiograhical memory/OCD?

My son, 17, has an "autobiographical memory," but on a much smaller scale than is mentioned in the article. His good memory is all "auto" (remembers events unusually well about his own life only). For example, when he took biology, he wasn't particularly good at memorizing the biology terms.

He is my only PANDAS/lyme/OCD child out of four. And he is the only one with the "autobiographical" memory." When I asked him about it, he said he felt that this special memory started in about sixth grade. Before that, he only remembers the normal amount that we all do. Interestingly, his first real OCD problems began in sixth grade, though he has had some OCD-like behaviors since kindergarten. At that time, I didn't know anything about PANDAS, lyme or even OCD for that matter, so I don't know what infections he may have had. But for the most part he was very rarely sick. No known strep or even lingering sore throat.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband heard this story on public radio today about people with "autobiographical memories."

http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/npr/158779474/why-can-some-people-recall-every-day-of-their-lives-brain-scans-offer-clues

Interestingly, they also had OCD. So were they born with OCD or did they have infection as a child that led to their autobiograhical memory/OCD?

My son, 17, has an "autobiographical memory," but on a much smaller scale than is mentioned in the article. His good memory is all "auto" (remembers events unusually well about his own life only). For example, when he took biology, he wasn't particularly good at memorizing the biology terms.

He is my only PANDAS/lyme/OCD child out of four. And he is the only one with the "autobiographical" memory." When I asked him about it, he said he felt that this special memory started in about sixth grade. Before that, he only remembers the normal amount that we all do. Interestingly, his first real OCD problems began in sixth grade, though he has had some OCD-like behaviors since kindergarten. At that time, I didn't know anything about PANDAS, lyme or even OCD for that matter, so I don't know what infections he may have had. But for the most part he was very rarely sick. No known strep or even lingering sore throat.

My wife and I have noticed that my PANDAS son has an amazing autobiographical memory. He can pick up any toy in the house and remember the day he got it, where he was when he got it etc... He oftentimes will just starting talking about "remember the time that" and go on to tell a story about something that occurred in his life in very specific details. He is only 5 1/2, but can recall things back as early as 2.

On a side note, I have a friend who was hit in the head with a porch swing about 20 years ago. Since that day, he developed an extraordinary autobiographical memory. You name any date of the last 20 years, he can tell you the day of the week, what happened, and the weather. He is taking part in a study at some hospital in California and has been on tv talking about his ability. The human brain is an amazing thing!

My DS has a strong autobiographical memory, but thus far, it doesn't seem to come at the expense of his general memory, either long-term or short-term. Frankly, his generally good memory is a saving grace with his academics because it prevents his having to take extensive notes or spend countless hours studying; he remembers every word a teacher says during instruction/lecture.

About the only things he's forgotten in the last few years are the worst days and events that took place when PANDAS was at its height, and that's probably a good thing. -_-

About the only things he's forgotten in the last few years are the worst days and events that took place when PANDAS was at its height, and that's probably a good thing. -_-

My son as well has completely forgotten the worst days of his illness. On a bad day, when he isn't feeling well, he'll say things like, "I'm really doing bad, Mom. I'm just as bad as I was in the beginning." I have to tell him that he isn't doing anywhere near that poorly. He doesn't remember the "beginning" though he thinks he does. God in his grace has left my son with no memory of the worst, for which I will forever be grateful.