ACN Latitudes Forums

Spitting Zithromax liquid out

OMG. Liquid Zith must taste awful. My 4 year old dd spits it out all over me and her. I bet only half is actually going down. It's a sticky mess and I'm losing my mind. She's supposed to take this for 2 weeks straight and then every Sunday. How am I supposed to do this?!

I don't have any great advice to add - just wanted to let you know I feel your pain!! DD4 was on a two week trial of zith back in May, and it was horrendous to get her to take it. I resorted to bribing and holding her head back/rubbing the front of her neck to encourage the swallow. She took hers in the morning, and after about day 5, she would wake up crying because she knew the medicine was coming :(

She loves chocolate chips - I'm sad to say that yes, I gave her a chocolate chip every morning if she swallowed...

"Lucky" for us (not sure if lucky is the right term), the zith gave her escalating abdominal pain, and she had to go off after the two weeks and go to a different abx. She still asks if she is going to have to take "that white medicine" - poor kid!

Good luck, I will be sending warm wishes!!

Here is what I did when dealing with that issue. It didn't always work though, depending on if it was sensory, ocd, or defiance related. I would pay my daughter to take her meds. When she got a little better I was able to stop the bribe and continue with her meds. Since she is four, maybe you could wrap some cute little gifts (from dollar store) and offer her one if she is able to take her zith. You could also find a compounding store that could add a flavor. They can tell you which one works best with kids. Sorry and good luck!

My youngest son had trouble taking liquid meds for a long time and would request that I use one of the syringe type medicine droppers that drug stores will give you for free. I would need to hold him firmly and then squirt it into the back corner of his mouth. "Injecting" it into his mouth allowed him to avoid tasting it and prevented it from being spit out (something he also did).

We are on our second week of Teva brand zith. Crackers are the bomb. A saltine turned salt side down can really confuse and busy the pallet. A lick of salt before and a syringe with a cracker to follow is working for us. It is dreadful. I did taste it.

We are taking it at night. Would it be better in the am? I started at night just because there was too much medicine drama to start the school day with.