ACN Latitudes Forums
  • pandas-cover-cropped.pngYour Child Has Changed; Should You Consider PANDAS?

Have you seen our PANDAS eBook?  Our book is a helpful primer in a friendly question & answer format.  This eBook contains useful information to understand the symptoms of PANDAS, how it is diagnosed (including lab tests), the different types of treatments, approaches for prevention, and how to find the help and support that you need.  Your satisfaction is guaranteed. Learn more

Sign in to follow this  
fcefxer

Magnesium Made Things Severely Worse

Giving my daughter magnesium for tics, depression and OCD made her symptoms at least four times worse. Any ideas why? We think Lyme/ Bart as she only had depression then after a week on Doxy became much worse, as well as Augmentin and Minocycline. Another mom said Babesia is know for horrendous vocals....Had suspect Igenex test with IND's on 31, 34, and 41 on IGM Western Blot,and had a ESR of 60 before prednesone and could only take that for 2 days without feeling much worse. Dr. T says this can also be a virus. We are preparing to go back on Rifampin then Doxy if no major viruses. Scared to death as she became a different person, in a bad way after starting them. was only depressed with some obsessive thoughts before. Terrified of going through this again. It was so bad. I've had to give up my business to care for her..

Nancy

Nancy,

this is going to be of little help but maybe some.

I remember in my reading everything I can that oral magnesium feeds something.....I just can't remember what but it was lyme or one of the coinfections. Blame on it on Lyme brain maybe or stress, but I can't remember what.

I remember when I read it, I said thank goodness I only give epsoms salts baths as my source of magnesium.

when i was reading your post, i thought it was written by me!!! My child flipped on magnesium but flips on EVERYTHING we have tried. It turns out that she went crazy on everything because she had severe yeast/fungal issues. She is now on Amphoceterin and doing well and also tolerating more supplements/vitamins. It was a hellish 13 years and now we are finally seeing some results. Also possitve for lyme/bartonella. We treated her with the bactrim and mino. and she was a mess. Again, I think because yeast was out of control. Hope this helps.

when i was reading your post, i thought it was written by me!!! My child flipped on magnesium but flips on EVERYTHING we have tried. It turns out that she went crazy on everything because she had severe yeast/fungal issues. She is now on Amphoceterin and doing well and also tolerating more supplements/vitamins. It was a hellish 13 years and now we are finally seeing some results. Also possitve for lyme/bartonella. We treated her with the bactrim and mino. and she was a mess. Again, I think because yeast was out of control. Hope this helps.

Lilly - so glad to hear you are finally finding some solutions to your daughter's symptoms.

Lilly - so glad to hear you are finally finding some solutions to your daughter's symptoms.

I had terrible herxing when on the combo of Rifampin and Mino. Started Rifampin in December and added Mino in January. I could barely get off the couch until April. I'm still on the combo and I feel really good now. Waiting to add Flagyl into the mix when the kids back in school. It was a tough few months but I definitely think it made a big difference in my overall healing process.

Hi

i am new here but not to lyme

I am so glad to find this post because this is one of the biggest supplement arguments going on with lyme treatment.

Dr . Fry from Fry labs took magnesium out to his protocol and people started reacting so much better to treatment and much less relapse.

There are people taking magnesium all the time for all the typical symptoms and when you read about magnesium and all the things it does for the body

you would think it was the cure for lyme.

too many people in treatment for 5 yrs are being prescribed magnesium along with their antibiotics as a way of dealing with aches, pains, headaches, constipation.

I was taking magnesium and it set me off into a tail spin so bad. It was after that I had discovered I had lyme half my life.

I went for treatment for a short period of time IV 8 weeks and the doctor said...NO MAGNESIUM..NOT EVEN IN THE EPAON SALT BATH.

What you want to be sure of is that you get an ISAC panel done for thick blood so that your detoxing will not be worse and the medicne can get through all the sludge.

I never have migranes hafter having them half my life because I keep my thick blood monitored. You may need heparin shots while going through treatment

and you may get away with that lubrokeneese..or even an asperin every day but if you have been sick for long time your blood is probably very thick.

Esoteric labs is the division of labcorp that does the test. Ask the doctor to write it up and go get blood drawn and they will have to call labcorp to find out the right protocal

if they have never drawn for ISAC panel. It is 5 or 6 tubes and always from the right arm..

But if you are with a doctor that is prescribing magnesium you need another doctor.

These doctors are throwing darts at the wall with these treatments.

There are people who have gotten well from lyme treatment who have used magnesium but those people are the one's who got better quicker because they were gotten to sooneer . And different ticks carry different amounts of coinfections.

PARASITES FIRST is another big thing that lyme doctors aren't doing. Al ticks have parasites and the parasites make more problems than anyting.

Metametrix has a parasite stool test.

look them up. it looks like they take insurance now.

ONLY that stool test. don't do one by the regular infectious disease doctor.

and Galaxy labs is the place to send your blood for bartonella which is the other big coinfection.

People need to wake up to this magnesium for lyme thing. It makes problems. It is good that you posted this.

good luck

from levi

Have you had your daughters vitamin D levels checked? Does she get spring fever and more depressed in the winter?

Trying to get sun as well as they have natural light sun desk lamps..I lean more towards getting actual sun than

taking a lot of supplement but D3 taken with a meal that has fat in it is the way to take a supplement..I take just the

125% rda pills and try to get the rest by getting in the sun more and a lamp..there are foods with it too...Exercise helps

depression too and intensive exercise is great but I believe just a steady exercise flow every week doesn't have to be

super intensive or a long time..anything helps..most important is that whatever it is..it is something you can stick with..

I took a drop of lithium salt supplement which does help with depression for some people..i experiement with very small

amounts of things..Dextromethorphan from cough syrup has actually cured some people from treatment resistant depression

and when I took the robitussin I did notice an effect interestingly..sorry magnesium didn't work did you ever try adding a half

or quarter cup of Epsom salt to a warm bath? I find when take a bath like this the magnesium this way calms me and other

methods and forms of magnesium can hit me completely in a different way..I feel completely calm after a warm Epsom salt bath..

some people have also talked about the carnivore diet and while it is a bit extreme adapting some of the concepts might help

your daughter as people who went on the carnivore diet got remission from depression sometimes...lastly there is a new form

of humane magnetic stimulation treatment  Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)  I find aromatherapy helps too..cinnamon

or some scents are just invigorating..I think it has a lot to do with the person..and also getting good sleep is the foundation

upon which ALL good mental health is based...doterra essential oils have some oil combinations which have helped people

with depression and anxiety..best luck to you and your family..I am so sorry you had to deal with Lyme..I had Lyme Encephalitis

and went through years of IV treatment..got rid of it

I forgot to tell you that you shouldn't overlook foods high in magnesium of which there are many as a possible aid..I cannot tell you

how many things that I have an averse reaction to as a supplement that I react better to in food...Everyone is different but I think many 

things are better taken in food.