ACN Latitudes Forums

Tetrabenazine?

Our son has not used any meds since diagnosed w/Tourettes in the 3rd grade. We have used the nutritional route all this time. He just turned 19 and his head shaking began mid June, causing brain brusing, by his description. Out of desperation a Dr.friend of mine injected Botox which stopped the shaking to the left and right, but after 1 or 2 days his head started jerking forward and backward causing neck pain but thankfully it was not violent. As these past 3 weeks have passed the head shaking from left to right never returned, but the head jerking forward and backward continues but has decreased about 90%. Now he has began taking TETRABENZAPRINE 1 week ago and we need to give it a month. The potential side effects are horrifying but our son is returning to college and he's desparate to take meds now. I hate it but I see his desperation. Our son also has a bit of OCD (not repetitive actions) as in obessing over a topic, not letting things go, overly focuses on things and the Dr.mentioned a small dose of Luvox. He has no depression but it is good for OCD. From going all these years w/o meds and now going into major drugs is freaking me out!! I have not been able to find any blogs or any patient reviews on this med, Tetrabenazine. Have any of you heard of this med or know someone that has/is taking it?

Thank you for reading this far. I tried to make is short.

Sandy

• 4 years later...

Hi Sandy, 

I know you posted this 5 years ago so I hope your worries have been put aside. I have been taking Tetrabenazine for over a year for a movement disorder caused by a brain lesion with no side effects that I've noticed and it has helped. I found your post in searching or natural alternatives because my insurance company has attached a $1000 co-pay to this drug, which I can't afford. Did you ever find any alternatives for movement disorder? I hope your son is doing well.

Mike