ACN Latitudes Forums

How to get into school system

I have looked at these boards for the past 7 months, first when my son was diagnosed with PANS, and now that we know he is congenital Lyme.

I have found this place to be a valuable source of info with smart and strong parents sharing stories and experience.

My question: My 5 1/2 yr old son is supposed to start public school for the first time, problem is that we have just started Lyme treatment in the last 5 months and our LLMD

doesn't recommend he attend so early in treatment as he really needs to heal more first. I agree.

I do however need to know what to with a CHARTER School that has told me he doesn't qualify for home tutoring as he's "never been in attendance at this school"

said he MUST attend the first day in order to be assessed. Can they turn us away like this? I feel bullied and like i am being forced to alter my sons treatment just to get him into a school.

I am ashamed to admit I really don't know how the school system works as it's different than when I went to school and my son was in private Pre K.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. I know we all struggle with the school issue. I can't seem to get my son into the system to get what i neeed that's my problem.

TIA

Hi Socalmom --

How are you? Glad to see you guys are in a treatment plan.

One possibility might be to ask the school to defer your admission for a year, so you can concentrate on healing. At that point, maybe they could assess your son to see if he could go into the grade he would be "supposed" to go into, or if he would need to go into the grade that he is planning for now.

Is he supposed to be starting K or 1st this fall? Also, if he does have to go to the first day, is that something that you can manage? Then both you and they would have more information to make your decisions. (Just curious, do you mind telling me which charter school? You can PM me if you want).

I have looked at these boards for the past 7 months, first when my son was diagnosed with PANS, and now that we know he is congenital Lyme.

I have found this place to be a valuable source of info with smart and strong parents sharing stories and experience.

My question: My 5 1/2 yr old son is supposed to start public school for the first time, problem is that we have just started Lyme treatment in the last 5 months and our LLMD

doesn't recommend he attend so early in treatment as he really needs to heal more first. I agree.

I do however need to know what to with a CHARTER School that has told me he doesn't qualify for home tutoring as he's "never been in attendance at this school"

said he MUST attend the first day in order to be assessed. Can they turn us away like this? I feel bullied and like i am being forced to alter my sons treatment just to get him into a school.

I am ashamed to admit I really don't know how the school system works as it's different than when I went to school and my son was in private Pre K.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. I know we all struggle with the school issue. I can't seem to get my son into the system to get what i neeed that's my problem.

TIA

Thank you so much, I am so exhausted I don't know how homeschooling works in terms of making sure this is reported on his school record. My lyme brain has organization issues.

He would be starting Kindergarten but has 1 st grade abilities.

Perhaps I don't need to send him, but since he's NEVER been in school- I am not sure how this works.

ifran I will PM you.

My son did 'Virtual Academy' which is an on-line private school, but in some states they have a free 'state-school' available as well. It allowed for the flexibility needed during treatment. It may just start at 1st grade - not sure.

HI Julia, Vitual academy is specific to your state or all states? I am opting for homeschool since Kinder is such a breeze and healing is most important at this time.

I will email you later, but I'm pretty sure kinder is optional legally -- so you could probably just keep him home and start next year, if your school will let you.

My son did 'Virtual Academy' which is an on-line private school, but in some states they have a free 'state-school' available as well. It allowed for the flexibility needed during treatment. It may just start at 1st grade - not sure.

HI Julia, Vitual academy is specific to your state or all states? I am opting for homeschool since Kinder is such a breeze and healing is most important at this time.

It is a country-wide school but is only offered free in some states. Just googled "What states have Virtual Academy for Free" and came up with several.

It is a country-wide school but is only offered free in some states. Just googled "What states have Virtual Academy for Free" and came up with several.

Thanks! I think I will opt to homeschool, kinder is so easy anyways. He's between kinder and 1 st so I can tailor his studies. I didn't realize CA state law doesn't require school til 6.

Thanks! I think I will opt to homeschool, kinder is so easy anyways. He's between kinder and 1 st so I can tailor his studies. I didn't realize CA state law doesn't require school til 6.

smart move (imo). work on healing your child and strengthening his immune system.