ACN Latitudes Forums

Is this terrible?

What would you do?

I want to get my dd on abx as fast as possible. A week ago I learned her ASO was 654 and her Anti DNase B was 147 (normal <120). Two days earlier she received IV Avelox for possible pneumonia and was given Avelox 400 mg for seven days. Her PCP felt that was sufficient for the strep. DD didn't get cultured until last Wednesday. I learned from Dr. H at Georgetown that Avelox isn't effective for strep--he recommended Augmentin or a cephalasporin, so I sent message to PCP last night asking for script. No answer--perhaps she is waiting for culture result. DD got scrip of prednisone at same time of Avelox (for asthma) starting at 40 mg for 5 days, then a taper. We are now down to 20 mgs and won't finish until some time next week. I figure she's getting some protection from prednisone, but I am worried about going two or three more days without abx.

So I am thinking of:

1) Giving her some of her brother's clindamycine. Scrip was just refilled for 30 days. He has appointment with Dr. L Wednesday and I could sort him out then.

or

2)Giving her azithromycin--a dentist friend is wiling to give me several Z packs I could get tomorrow morning.

Our medicine chest has plentiful supplies of doxycycline and minocycline, but neither of these look particularly good for strep.

I know this self-prescribing is not desirable, but also know PCP while open to Pandas is likely reluctant on the intensive abx front. DD is seeing Dr. H on Tuesday so I could probably get scrip then and possibly bring up briefly with Dr. L Wednesday (DD won't have appointment with her until October 2.)

Any advice gratefully accepted.

I hear you and although I don't condone self prescribing, I can't say I have not done this myself. Sometimes we do what we have to do to see improvement. You need to get her on abx. ASAP no matter how you have to get it for her. You just can't risk letting it go on any longer. I would get those z-pacs and have those on hand as well. You never know when you may need them. I can't tell you how may times I have wished we had a doctor in the family.