ACN Latitudes Forums

Detoxing Newb looking for primers, tips, advice

Thank you so much everyone for the useful and helpful replies. We are back home after some extended travel and I am now finding the time to research and attempt to choose some products to try. Makes my head spin!

I am zeroing in on a chlorella supp to start with (leaning towards Health Force Chlorella Manna powder). Also considering adding arabinogalactin, though I haven't chosen a specific product yet). Need to ID the correct products for B12, folate, B6 (thanks a ton, LLM, for clarifying that for me and sending the link for your DD's supp). Will consider the detox drink down the road once we get things rolling a bit more and see how everything is tolerated. Also need to look into that sockeye salmon in lieu of the arctic cod liver oil DS already takes.

I am looking for a good kid's mineral supplement that doesn't include a bunch of stuff we need to avoid (such as folic acid and the B12 which we need to give separately because we need the methyl forms of them due to DS's single MTHFR C677 mutation). Can anyone recommend a good mineral supplement for kids?

I am looking for a good kid's mineral supplement that doesn't include a bunch of stuff we need to avoid (such as folic acid and the B12 which we need to give separately because we need the methyl forms of them due to DS's single MTHFR C677 mutation). Can anyone recommend a good mineral supplement for kids?

[/font]

One you may look at is "Matrix Minerals" from BioPure. Liquid to add to juice/water. My son took this while on an anti-viral med. because it was know to deplete minerals. Have you done the 'Docters Data' hair test to see if vitamins are being absorbed by your child (also measures heavy metals being expelled thru the hair)?

Edited by JuliaFaith

DS has a single C677 MTHFR mutation. Add Methyl-B6 (25 mg per day), Methyl-B12 (1 mg per day), and Methyl-Folic Acid (1 mg per day). Kirkmann makes products specifically for kids.

The active form of B6 that I know of is P-5-P and this is what I look for in a supplement. For a child, 25mg would be on the high side and if you chose to supplement, I would start at a lower dose and build up only if you saw no negative effects (which would take weeks to show up). The one condition that would change my advice -kinda - is if your son has KPU (aka pyroluria). This is a genetic condition that causes you to pee away your zinc and B6 before the body can use it. My son has it and my daughter is borderline for it. In our case, both kids started at 19mg of P-5-P. My DD stayed there. My DS worked up to 75 mg over a period of months. I'd suggest you read up on KPU and ask your doctor about testing for it. I can send you articles if you're interested or you can search the forum for info.

LLM - good point about the KPU. It's been on the back burner for a while but needs to move to the front soon. For the P-5-P, can you recommend a supp for a 9 year old who doesn't swallow pills? Thanks much!

Newb

[/font]

One you may look at is "Matrix Minerals" from BioPure. Liquid to add to juice/water. My son took this while on an anti-viral med. because it was know to deplete minerals. Have you done the 'Docters Data' hair test to see if vitamins are being absorbed by your child (also measures heavy metals being expelled thru the hair)?

Thank you for the reply. I didn't find a product by that name on the BioPure website. Did you mean Golden Minerals perhaps? http://www.biopureeurope.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=matrix+minerals&name=matrix+minerals&x=0&y=0&order=relevance&dir=desc

Our doc ordered a mineral analysis hair test from Omegatech / King James Medical Laboratory. It didn't test vitamins.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice about the KPU. Will bring it up during the F/U appt.

OK, gang, so I now have possession of chlorella, sublingual methyl-B12, P-5-P form of B6, and L-methyl folate. What now? I know I need to go slow with them. Do I start them one at a time and if so, does it matter which one I start with?

Feeling more like a newb all the time...

Just my personal opinion, but here's what I'd do...

I think each should be added in a small amount, waiting 1-2 weeks before adding the next item. Then I'd go back and increase dose of each item, again waiting 1-2 weeks before increasing the next item. That way, you're adding a little of everything instead of going overboard on one and nothing on another.

I would start with P-5-P first, because that effects the transsulfuration pathway (detox). You don't want to improve something else only to have it get bogged down at a log jam in detox. Then I'd add methylfolate and then methylB12. The chlorella shouldn't interact with anything - only act as a binder (tho you should double check - Im' no expert on chlorella). So maybe add it along the way.

So if it were me playing mad scientist, I'd do

week 1 - 25mg P-5-P (or 1/3 of whatever your dr recommends for final dose for your 9 yo)

week 2 - 5-10 chlorella (assuming you find it doesn't play any role in body functions and only serves as a binding agent)

week 3 - 200mcg methylfolate

week 4 - add another 5-10 chlorella

week 5 - 1/3 dose methylcobalmin

week 6 - add another 25 mg P-5-P, repeat above cycle

The caveat is that once you've gotten a little bit of everything into the schedule, re-evaluate. You may not need to add any more some things. If you get impatient, you could probably add the chlorella in the same week as something else. My DD started at 200mcg of methylfolate and I didn't see a ton of change. So we eventually built up to 800mcg and a few weeks later, she was "evil child" - very unpredictable, moody, nasty, bipolar, lethargic. Turns out I was over-methyltaing her. We dropped back down to 200mcg every other day and she's much more stable. So more is not always better. I was also able to stop other supplements as we progressed.

there's no easy, one size fits all answer. No matter how slow you go, you may reach a point of confusion where you don't know which supplement is making things good or bad. Is it a detox herx that you push through or an overdose of something that needs to be lowered or stopped? No good answer. Just be as methodical as you can and if things get weird, drop doses down or take a few days off to re-evaluate. But I think a little of everything over several weeks is better than all at once or all of one thing before all of another.

Thanks for the advice about the KPU. Will bring it up during the F/U appt.

OK, gang, so I now have possession of chlorella, sublingual methyl-B12, P-5-P form of B6, and L-methyl folate. What now? I know I need to go slow with them. Do I start them one at a time and if so, does it matter which one I start with?

Feeling more like a newb all the time...

If you are on the Health Force chlorella, there should be only improvement from taking it right away. It is basically like taking a lot of green veges at once.