ACN Latitudes Forums

Any info on Dr Rao in Plano?

I am trying to find a Dr in Texas who is knowledgable in Pandas. Does anyone have any experience with Dr Rao in Plano? What kind of lab testing does he perform? What kinds of treatments? I am trying to find someone who will at least try long term antibiotics just to see if it will help my kiddos. One of my kiddos has tics (which seem more like OCD) and OCD. My other one has a couple of little tics but has very bad ADD.

Melanie

I'm the Dallas Area Support Group Leader. Our daughter just started seeing Dr. Rao in May and we have seen significant improvement! He ran quite a few tests. Our daughter was diagnosed 3 1/2 years ago and had improved until last fall when her anxiety and OCD increased once again even with a prophylactic dose of azithromycin provided by our wonderful ENT who also sees PANDAS patients. Since so many area support group members had a good experience with Dr. Rao, we decided to add him to our team of doctors. He ran a set of tests from Pharmesan Labs which checked our daughter's neurotransmitters (serotonin, GABA, taurine, glycine, glutamate, histamine, PEA, dopamine, norepinephrine, epinephrine)and found that our daughter's glutamate was high so she is currently taking GABA to lower the glutamate. He ran a NutrEval test which checked her antioxidants, B-vitamins, and minerals. This test showed that her CoQ10 enzyme was very low so we are supplementing that as well. He ran basic blood work that checked all sorts of things (lymphs, immunoglobulins A/G/M, Chlamydia pneumoniae (IgG/M), mycoplasma pneumonia (IgG/IgM Abs), immunoglobulin E, rubella antibodies, cytomegalovirus, all of her vaccine titers (to make sure she was covered as we've discontinued vaccinating for now and all was good). This test showed that although her titers were okay a year ago, her mycoplasma titer was now at 727 and should have been between 0 and 90. He put her on GABA, Zinc, CoQ10, and azithromycin 250 mg daily. She began the higher dose of azith the end of May and the other supplements mid June. Some of the tests were done with blood work. Others were urine tests. He also tested her yeast levels and those were fine.

We have seen quite an improvement. For the last year, her concentration in dance and school has been off. I was talking to her instructor about a week into taking the supplements and was just asking a general scheduling question. The instructor had no idea that we had changed anything but out of the blue said, "I just wanted to tell you what a change I've seen in your daughter the last few lessons. Her focus is back and she is picking up combinations with no problems." I nearly cried and told her what we were doing. In our case, adding Dr. Rao to our team of doctors has made quite a difference. We are only 2 months in and are hoping that this progress continues and that our daughter maintains what we have gained. She is at camp this week and we sent all four of her pill bottles along and I gave them to the nurse. I will be interested to see if it is easier for her to concentrate in school this year as well.

In seeing Dr. Rao, expect to wait for about an hour past your appointment time before you are seen. However, also expect that Dr. Rao will be with you for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. He is thorough and takes his time with his patients.

There is another family in our group that has had IVIG with Dr. Rao. This family convinced Dr. Rao to follow Dr. K's (Chicago PANDAS doctor) PANDAS IVIG protocol here locally. Please let me know if you have any additional questions!

Thank you so much for all the info. My son has a very hard time concentrating and I would love to be able to get help for him. My daughter doesn't really have an issue with that but she has so many tics and her OCD is getting worse. I want to get something started before school starts even though we homeschool. I think I will call and make an appt tomorrow. They told me today it is a three week wait.

I am so glad to hear that your dd is doing better. I will be so happy when my two are feeling better. My daughter has been dealing with for 8 years now and she is just tired.

Melanie

• 1 year later...

I am in Texas too! In the DFW area and just watched the Lyme video posted by another member. And my husband & I have just realized we were at the hospital with our son for three hours because of a bite he had when he was 18 months of age (that was 2 years ago) the bite was sooo strange looking it was a huge red welt with a circle all the way around it an inch outward. It was so odd that we were afraid he had gotten bitten by a small snake. We were given Tevan (STRONG antibiotic cream) and told that it was most likely a spider or a tick but they were not sure. So I looked up tick bite last night & it is a red welt with a red circle around it. I handed the computer to my hubby & he said "Oh man, that was it"

We never even thought of Lyme disease becasue until yesterday I thought it was only in the North East part of the US ....I had never heard of anyone here in Texas mention Lyme disease. So I then looked up Lyme disease in Texas & many Texas Lyme disease sites came up saying that it is becoming an epidemic here in Texas.

My son has been diagnoses with PANS but the pathogen had not been found.

He is cured when on anitbiotics (Cefdinir) BUT then ends up with an extremely bad YEAST infection as soon as the time for Diflucan ends. Nysatin & probiotcs dont do the trick when he is on antibiotics. Then he regresses when the antibiotc round is over. We have done this twice with our DAN doctor.

I want to see Dr. Rao & get him tested for Lyme & go fourth with IVIG since we are not able to maintain intestinal health on antibiotics, My DAN said that IVIG would be done by an Immunologist & I notice that Dr. Rao is an Immunologist.

Thank you Texas members for sharing this info on Dr. Rao, I was not finding info on him. Also please watch this video (it's in french with subtitles and the Dr. in the video is Dr. Luc Montaganier- Nobel Prize winner in medicine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOno_2m_8LY here is the video!

Edited by Momwithacause