ACN Latitudes Forums

Latest Blood Test - High MCHC and others

Hi, my son was diagnosed with probable Pandas/Pans a couple years ago. He was part of a study at the Rothman Center along with many other children. Although his blood test wasn't conclusive as to PANDAs/PANS, his sudden onset of OCD, fears, and tics qualified him for the study. Anyway, I recently had more blood work done on him to compare it to the old blood work. A couple things remained the same and I am not sure what it means. His MCHC on his CBC test was flagged as high at 34.5 (range 38-30). It was high last time as well. Also, both times his Bun/Creatinine ratio was high and his creatinine was low. They also tested for Mycopl. Pneu. IGM but it was negative. We are not seeing anyone for his Pandas/Pans because at this point it is mild and our insurance doesn't cover anyone familiar with it in our area. Dr. M did agree recently to talk to his Pediatrician (due to him getting strep) to order these last labs. She is really awesome. But for more assistance we need to go back and see her, 2 1/2 hours away and not on our insurance. The more I research, the more I am considering investing the oodles of money in Homeopathy but are waiting until he gets back from vacation at his grandmothers. Anyway, does anyone know WHAT the high MCHC could mean? Thanks!

Hi, my son was diagnosed with probable Pandas/Pans a couple years ago. He was part of a study at the Rothman Center along with many other children. Although his blood test wasn't conclusive as to PANDAs/PANS, his sudden onset of OCD, fears, and tics qualified him for the study. Anyway, I recently had more blood work done on him to compare it to the old blood work. A couple things remained the same and I am not sure what it means. His MCHC on his CBC test was flagged as high at 34.5 (range 38-30). It was high last time as well. Also, both times his Bun/Creatinine ratio was high and his creatinine was low. They also tested for Mycopl. Pneu. IGM but it was negative. We are not seeing anyone for his Pandas/Pans because at this point it is mild and our insurance doesn't cover anyone familiar with it in our area. Dr. M did agree recently to talk to his Pediatrician (due to him getting strep) to order these last labs. She is really awesome. But for more assistance we need to go back and see her, 2 1/2 hours away and not on our insurance. The more I research, the more I am considering investing the oodles of money in Homeopathy but are waiting until he gets back from vacation at his grandmothers. Anyway, does anyone know WHAT the high MCHC could mean? Thanks!

PM Stephanie2 about homeopathy. She really knows a lot about it, and has had good luck with it.

if the high limit of MCHC was 38- why was 34.5 flagged?

maybe it was a typo on the posting-- but I do not think that is very high- high enough to stress over or cause any PANDAS problems.

I am sure Dr M would let you know if it was a concern- and if it was- it generally is due to a "clumping" problem- cold agglutinin - blood clumps at cold temps or an unusual shape to the RBCS (sickle cell, sphereocytosis, I am sure there are others!).

Was his H&H normal?

MCHC is the amount of Hgb in a certain volume of RBCs.

It must have been a typo. I don't have the lab work in front of me now but I do remember it was about 15 numbers higher than the upper end of the range. It probably doesn't mean anything out of the ordinary for a child going through so much growth and change but I was curious since it as well as creatinine/bun ratio was off 2 years ago as well. We have all sorts of auto immune disorders in my family history including diabetes, thyroid and rheumetoid arthritis. Thank you for your reply!

Thank you, I have PM'd her a couple times and she is the one who sparked my interest in homeopathy. I guess I was just grasping at straws thinking his lab results meant something was off that was 'very simple' to correct. But I guess such complex symptoms as our children have is going to require a lot more than a simple fix. Thank you for your reply!

PM Stephanie2 about homeopathy. She really knows a lot about it, and has had good luck with it.