ACN Latitudes Forums

LLM, a question for you about alpha lipoic acid

Here are some links that give an overview:

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/alphalipoicacid/a/alphalipoicacid.htm

http://www.wellnessletter.com/ucberkeley/dietary-supplements/alpha-lipoic-acid/#

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/othernuts/la/

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/alpha-lipoic-000285.htm

Excerpts from the above:

Alpha lipoic acid is a fatty acid found naturally inside every cell in the body. It's needed by the body to produce the energy for our body's normal functions. Alpha lipoic acid converts glucose (blood sugar) into energy.

The body actually makes enough alpha-lipoic acid for this basic function. Alpha-lipoic acid acts as an antioxidant, however, only when there is an excess of it and it is in the “free” state in the cells. There is little free alpha-lipoic acid circulating in your body, unless you consume supplements or get it injected. Alpha-lipoic acid is a versatile antioxidant—it helps deactivate an unusually wide array of cell-damaging free radicals in many bodily systems.

Antioxidants attack "free radicals," waste products created when the body turns food into energy. Free radicals cause harmful chemical reactions that can damage cells in the body, making it harder for the body to fight off infections. They also damage organs and tissues.

Other antioxidants work only in water (such as vitamin C) or fatty tissues (such as vitamin E), but alpha-lipoic acid is both fat- and water-soluble. That means it can work throughout the body. Antioxidants in the body are used up as they attack free radicals, but evidence suggests alpha-lipoic acid may help regenerate these other antioxidants and make them active again.

In the cells of the body, alpha-lipoic acid is changed into dihydrolipoic acid. Alpha-lipoic acid is not the same as alpha linolenic acid, which is an omega-3 fatty acid that may help heart health (See also: Alpha linolenic acid.) There is confusion between alpha-lipoic acid and alpa linolenic acid because both are sometimes abbreviated ALA. Alpha-lipoic acid is also sometimes called lipoic acid.

Because alpha-lipoic acid can pass easily into the brain, it may help protect the brain and nerve tissue. Researchers are investigating it as a potential treatment for stroke and other brain problems involving free radical damage.

Peripheral neuropathy can be caused by injury, nutritional deficiencies, chemotherapy or by conditions such as diabetes, Lyme disease, alcoholism, shingles, thyroid disease, and kidney failure. Symptoms can include pain, burning, numbness, tingling, weakness, and itching.

Alpha lipoic acid is thought to work as an antioxidant in both water and fatty tissue, enabling it to enter all parts of the nerve cell and protect it from damage.

Alpha lipoic acid can cross the blood-brain barrier, a wall of tiny vessels and structural cells, and pass easily into the brain. It is thought to protect brain and nerve tissue by preventing free radical damage.

Side effects of alpha lipoic acid may include headache, tingling or a "pins and needles" sensation, skin rash, or muscle cramps.

There have been a few reports in Japan of a rare condition called insulin autoimmune syndrome in people using alpha lipoic acid. The condition causes hypoglycemia and antibodies directed against the body's own insulin without previous insulin therapy.

The safety of alpha lipoic acid in pregnant or nursing women, children, or people with kidney or liver disease is unknown.

Possible Drug Interactions

Alpha lipoic acid may improve blood sugar control, so people with diabetes who are taking medication to lower blood sugar, such as metformin (Glucophage), glyburide (DiaBeta, Glynase), should only take alpha lipoic acid under the supervision of a qualified health professional and have their blood sugar levels carefully monitored.

Animal studies indicate that alpha lipoic acid may alter thyroid hormone levels, so it could theoretically have the same effect in humans. People taking thyroid medications such as levothyroxine should be monitored by their healthcare provider.

Alpha lipoic acid can help your body synthesize glutathione, the mother of all antioxidants. Gluthatione supplements are poorly absorbed, so taking ALA is one way to help increase your glutathione levels and help the bid rid itself of damaged cells and toxins. I tend to think of binders like charcoal and bentonite clay as little garbage trucks/sponges that soak up toxins in the bowels. But glutathione and ALA are the garbage men that gather and carry the toxins thru the body into the excretion systems.

There are other antioxidants that are also helpful, like resveratrol, which I also like to use for my son. But it's usually derived from Japanese Knotwood (a plant) and my DD is allergic to it. She responds well to ALA. ALA crosses the BBB, so if you have any concerns about metals like mercury, it shouldn't be used until you feel the body's load of metals has been addressed. Otherwise, ALA could theoretically bind to (chelate) mercury but move it into the brain instead of out of it. However, we've tested DD and this hasn't been an issue for her. We also use it for my son, who at one time tested slightly elevated for mercury but doesn't seem to have an issue anymore (did a small amount of chelation awhile back).

So like most supplements, it holds a lot of promise but it may not be everyone's answer. My DD takes 500mg once a day. It seems to help her feel better, calms her behavior a little. Sort of like motrin does. Except ALA is acting as an antioxidant, which makes me feel better about giving it. As far as I know, it can be taken any time of day but works best on an empty stomach.

I tried ala on me first. I have hashimots'

I felt terrible. It really wacked my thyriod. It took a few days to a week to clear.

Ds has thyroid issuues too. so i did not give it too him.

Just though i would give you an adults experience who can articulate the effect.

Interesting as i've recently read the few links about mom's autoimmune issues and pans.

So the pans comes from my hubby's side...and i guess i had the other side of the key.?????

Fixit, what thyroid issues do you and your son have? My daughter's free T3 came back elevated on last blood draw.

Hashimoto's is hypo-thyroid.

I tried Ala because of the benefits it has

I felt terrible. sluggsih. Sitting up was an effort. I noticed I felt like something was weighing on me. Much more than my other nagging feelings of dealing with pans/kids. I couldn't put my finger on it(slightly depressed, burdened). I wondered what is happening, then i realized i had taken the ala. In my memory loss, i remembered i thought i read something about the thyroid. And you know, sometimes you buy things they sit there for a few months, then you think, oh yah....i should try that!!!!!

I don't know if this is stupid, but just to be sure it was the ala, i tried it again at 1/2 a dose, and sure enough, same thing. So i have a bottle here, if anyone is interested. We should do a supplement swap site of the things we want to try or that worked for us or our kids.

Ds12 is also hypo. Not quite sure if it is "hashimoto's". He and i are on levoxyl.

ds5 t3 is Low.

So maybe ala would benefit a High t3??

We have him on Armor, per my DAN and my thyroid dr, who is an out of the box (OTB) thinker...ie he believes in gf/df and a number of other things that a Dan might perscribe.

I just came back from a "traditional"dr to get his thought on ds5 growth...and of course my hairs are on end(you know the smuggnesss).

He says armor is bad, bad, BAD!!!!!! Let the t3 go, don't address it!?!?!?!?!

But he said, if i got this right, armor might benefit a high t3? Armor, according to him slows or stops your own natural hormone production.

I try to gleen info, whether I like or trust the dr's opinion or not.

So now i have more research on his statements about armor.