ACN Latitudes Forums

Dd positive strep today!

So what else is new. I now sound like a broken record. Dd has strep. . No congestion or throat pain. This time it's headache and fever that is manageable. The highest it got was 102 and is staying on the lower side so she is not suffering with that this time around. I can take that over 104.5!! Anyway so my anxiety is going nuts today bc all i could think about is my month of ###### in may. I hope ds doesn't get it and we do the whole roller coaster of passing back and forth. That would suck!!! Strep is currently my worst enemy!!!! How does one get strep in the middle of July?? No one else had it on the block but my kid gets it. There has to be a carrier!! And I don't know who!!! I don't want her to miss her summer. I feel bad for her!

Mar

I feel your pain! My ds just tested positive for strep on Friday. We almost didn't test the family on our weekly visit to our incredible Panda's savvy pediatrician. And to everyone's shock my ds was positive! He had no physical signs...but all the Panda's crap. Mostly OCD, rituals, and fear. Get a load of this...ds, myself, and my dd all just had strep June 1st! He has been exhibiting Pandas behaviors since March 2011. We first discovered Pandas, and started treating with antibiotics July 2011. He is currently on Augmentin and Biaxin. He also is very ibuprofen dependant. Had a T&A in February, as well. We just can't seem to shake it. My husband is the only one who has yet to test positive (curiously, he hasn't eaten sugar or simple carbs in the past twelve years...the rest of us do not eat this way!). Yes, we are all MTHFR mutants,and have been taking methly B12 injections, and Thorne's Methylguard plus. So, now we are heading down the biofilm path...whatever, the heck that means. LLM if you are reading this, thanks for posting articles and information, I am starting to reread your posts. At this point our only attack has been to add Lumbrokinase, 1/2 hour before antibiotics on an empty stomach. We did that once before this last positive strep test...so, don't know if it will be effective for us. I don't mean to hijack this thread but feel like it may be what is going on with us "chronic streppies". If anyone has experience with biofilm attack it would be great to hear what was used, and what happened. Anyone trying low dose antibiotics, and rotating antibiotics? The only silver lining in this for our family,is my ds's baseline is much higher than it was just back in Jan of this year when we began B12 shots...he was in the fetal position puffing and barely functioning...a 2 out of a 10 (ten being good) and with this recent flare... he only touched to a five, and is today at a 7! I hope this helps you Mar. I kept thinking there was someone always giving it to us...now I think we are doing a great job "brewing" it ourselves. I also think when our immune systems are challenged, like a cold, the "big bad strep dudes" see it as an opportunity to attack, unfortunately, they are successful!

Thanks for replys sadly I am not alone with this strep in July. It never really hit them this time of the year. But nothing seems impossible when it comes to strep. Dd is having some night fears but nothing intolerable. From what I have read I shouldn't complain but do notice her acting slitly differant and knew it was strep. Ds was ticcing again today more then usual so wonder if it's new bike or if it's the strep in the house. I think strep! But I only notice it when he was watching tv and then seemed fine. Your son had a T&A did it help? If seems like it didn't make a difference. OCD and none stop talking has been pretty constant with ds for months. thanks for the support!!

Mar

Thanks for replys sadly I am not alone with this strep in July. It never really hit them this time of the year. But nothing seems impossible when it comes to strep. Dd is having some night fears but nothing intolerable. From what I have read I shouldn't complain but do notice her acting slitly differant and knew it was strep. Ds was ticcing again today more then usual so wonder if it's new bike or if it's the strep in the house. I think strep! But I only notice it when he was watching tv and then seemed fine. Your son had a T&A did it help? If seems like it didn't make a difference. OCD and none stop talking has been pretty constant with ds for months. thanks for the support!!

Mar

No, I don't think the T&A helped in our case. He got strep shortly after, and as I stated he is continuing to get strep. I believe it didn't help since we are probably dealing with biofilms. So taking out the tonsils didn't get at the root of our problem. This all can be so tricky! I'm glad your kids are tolerable even with strep in the house!

So what else is new. I now sound like a broken record. Dd has strep. . No congestion or throat pain. This time it's headache and fever that is manageable. The highest it got was 102 and is staying on the lower side so she is not suffering with that this time around. I can take that over 104.5!! Anyway so my anxiety is going nuts today bc all i could think about is my month of ###### in may. I hope ds doesn't get it and we do the whole roller coaster of passing back and forth. That would suck!!! Strep is currently my worst enemy!!!! How does one get strep in the middle of July?? No one else had it on the block but my kid gets it. There has to be a carrier!! And I don't know who!!! I don't want her to miss her summer. I feel bad for her!

Mar

What abx's are you taking and how much?

Tracie

Dd is about 50 lbs and was put on amoxicillin 400mg/5ml susp 75ml. Takes 7ml twice a day for 10 days. Okay she is extremely hyper now. My kids always get like this when on antibiotics. It's like she is slap happy and is going like the energizer bunny. One wired child always equals out to two. They feed off of each other and makes my day full of no's and If you do that again your going to your room for time out? I fear for dear dd because she finest think and goes about doing whatever.

Mar

No dogs in house bc ds tested positive for saliva couple years back. But this is interesting bc neighbor has dog that ds will play with. He is not reacting to the saliva but now wonder about this strep!! The thing is though none of their kids ever had strep! What if they are carriers! Ok I now will classify myself as being clearly crazy?!!

Mar

Well maybe I am just used to it. DH gets home at 8pm he had been working crazy long days. Ds drives up on his bike and says that he wants to build a foam pit so he can drive his bike up and crash into. DH looks at him like seriously that is impossible and can tell he is aggravated. He says we have no room . Ds asks when will we buy a house with a lot of land (so he can have his motorcrossing track and now pit). Wow really these kids think money grows on trees. They dont realize dh has been fixing air conditioners in todays heat of 100 and is exhausted. I look at dh and say yes 3-4 hours of him talking about building and storing this. He can't take it after 5 min. As dd is hiding behind him and grabbing him hard to try to scare him. She is draping pool noodles behind his head and just really being annoying to him. I tell her to cut it out and try to tell ds to back off also. As DH says I should of stayed at work. He looks at me like seriously this is what your dealing with and like what the heck is going on. So maybe I am used to it and it doesn't seem so bad or DH needs to chill out! I guess I don't know a different life and try seriously try to make the best of things.

Mar

Mar

On last week Thursday, ds9 had no energy after his soccer game, had a huge headache, and a high fever of 40 celcius. He didn't have a sore throat. I gave advil. On Friday morning, high fever still there, 39.8 celcius plus headache, no energy, wanted to sleep, no hunger, so I brought him into a doctor who knows him, and she saw white stuff at the back of the throat and he had enlarged neck glands. He didn't have a sore throat. Doctor swabbed him, and gave him azith right away, because of his history,a nd because to her, it is consistent with strep. Don't have results of swab back though.

Saw ds9's pediatrician on Monday after the weekend, who said he would never prescribe any abx even if he saw white spots and child has fever, only with the positive swab for strep. Interesting. Good to know that his office was full on Friday. This is the same ped who also did not prescribe abx when ds had a positive urine infection but no fever, during his second pandas episode back in March.

I got more azith for ds9. I looked at Dr. Susan Shulman's videos about strep and pandas. She says that she prefers to treat first with pen v or amoxil, and then give the child azith afterwards, because they are the best strep treatment. Based on that...it looks like amoxil + clav (augmentin) would be the best choice then, because it has the extra stuff in it... I am guessing. Will ensure that ds is no longer reacting to penicillin via a test, to be able to give him as many of the right abx as possible.

I have a question for you out there.... Ds felt a lot better approx 5 hours after starting the azith plus advil. He was still run down, but not like before. I thought that it was the advil plus azith, but his pediatrician said that there is no way that an antibiotic kicks in that quickly. Just wondering....

Now I am hoping that all of the crazy pandas symptoms dont come out in the next few weeks like last time. So far, the head tic thing has definitely gone down. I worry about all the worries/anxiety/fears, moods and depressive stuff...and all that stuff coming out in the next weeks. That is how it all played out last time. Do you find that it takes a few weeks after strep for the episode to come out, or are there times when we can halt it in its tracks with abx and advil?

Dd is about 50 lbs and was put on amoxicillin 400mg/5ml susp 75ml. Takes 7ml twice a day for 10 days. Okay she is extremely hyper now. My kids always get like this when on antibiotics. It's like she is slap happy and is going like the energizer bunny. One wired child always equals out to two. They feed off of each other and makes my day full of no's and If you do that again your going to your room for time out? I fear for dear dd because she finest think and goes about doing whatever.

Mar

So are they on abx's like every ther day to keep strep out?

my DD takes azith every other day 250 mgs

she has had ivig twice.