ACN Latitudes Forums

Probiotics

Hi,

I need to get a good (would be nice to be affordable) probiotic. Doc says she wants me on 20 billion at least and my daughter on 8 billion. She says the ones over the counter at Walmart are fine. I see others on here that purchase more expensive brands. Could you please tell me your experiences and what you ended going with and why?

Son has Strep, myco and lymes. Daughter has mycop and strep. Husband has myco and strep, and myself is just myco, even though the rest of me is falling apart! lol

Daughter seems to have the worst gut issues out of us all. We have pretty much determined she is gluten, dairy, and msg sensitive.

Thanks in advance for the comments! :)

Janice

florostor and culturelle are two of the most popular. Florostor is a yeast probiotic so can be taken with abx but others need to be spaces 2hr apart from abx. Can get generic florastor (cheaper). It's good to rotate probiotics too to give the gut a good variety. PB8 is another one. These all are strep thermophillus free. Might want to give up yougert and uncooked cheese also due to strep thermophillis (culturing agent).

Thanks Kiera for the info. That seems to be the popular choice from what I have seen so far. EAMom, thanks so much for posting that link. I did a search and kept coming up with anything related to the word probiotics! lol I got rather tiresome trying filter through all of them. Thanks again. :)

• 3 months later...

If floristoror is considered a yeast probiotic then does that mean it is a better probiotic for fighting yeast? Just curious.... I have been wondering about yeast issues with my son so I had him perform the spit test this morning and it did show some yeast. Soooo.... I have been giving him one culturelle a day but wondering if I should change now to a floristor. Do any of you rotate probiotics or do them simultaneously. Any advice would be appreciated. Just want to control any yeast issues before they get out of control. Thanks.

If floristoror is considered a yeast probiotic then does that mean it is a better probiotic for fighting yeast? Just curious.... I have been wondering about yeast issues with my son so I had him perform the spit test this morning and it did show some yeast. Soooo.... I have been giving him one culturelle a day but wondering if I should change now to a floristor. Do any of you rotate probiotics or do them simultaneously. Any advice would be appreciated. Just want to control any yeast issues before they get out of control. Thanks.

Personally, I think mixing it up is probably a good idea . . . Who knows which gut flora are flourishing in one's system and which aren't? We use a mixed probiotic that contains about a dozen different flora, and then also a sach b. -- not Florastor but a Jarrow brand version. Yes, supposedly sach b. is a beneficial yeast that can help crowd out "bad" yeast like candida.

Personally, I think mixing it up is probably a good idea . . . Who knows which gut flora are flourishing in one's system and which aren't? We use a mixed probiotic that contains about a dozen different flora, and then also a sach b. -- not Florastor but a Jarrow brand version. Yes, supposedly sach b. is a beneficial yeast that can help crowd out "bad" yeast like candida.

If you want (and have the extra cash!) you can go to a DAN Dr and have him order a comprehensive stool analysis - shows the exact gut flora! We were low on lactobacillus, NO yeast after 2yrs on abx (yeah) and a little high on clostridium so doing a course of flagyl to bring that down, and switched to a better probiotic. Now that's custom treatment!

If you want (and have the extra cash!) you can go to a DAN Dr and have him order a comprehensive stool analysis - shows the exact gut flora! We were low on lactobacillus, NO yeast after 2yrs on abx (yeah) and a little high on clostridium so doing a course of flagyl to bring that down, and switched to a better probiotic. Now that's custom treatment!

There are no Dan doctors in Our area so I may make another appt. with our pedi. just to ask him about it. Had his yeast tested a couple months ago at a urology appt. ( that's another story). But anyway, yeast was fine then. Not really sure how accurate the spit test is either, but thought I will try a different probiotic if necessary. Thanks for the advice.

We give Florastor with the abx and any probiotic with lactobacillus and bifidobacterium twice a day. Usually right after school and before bed. The plus side to all of this is that his nasal symptoms have really improved!! Also, I take the "pearls". They are very good for such a tiny pill.

If you have not given probiotics before, start slowly. I did not and my stomach was a mess for a couple of days while I got used to taking them. Oops!

Cobbie

I use: Healthy Origins, Probiotic, 30 Billion CFU's from Iherb.

Blend of 8 probiotics strains 30 Billion CFU's †

Lactobacillus acidophilus (La-14) 12 Billion CFU's †

Bifidobacterium lactis (Bl-04) 12 Billion CFU's †

Lactobacillus casei (Lc-11) 1 Billion CFU's †

Bifidobacterium breve (Bb-03) 1 Billion CFU's †

Lactobacillus salivarius (Ls-33) 1 Billion CFU's †

Lactobacillus plantarum (Lp-115) 1 Billion CFU's †

Bifidobacterium longum (Bl-05) 1 Billion CFU's †

Lactobacillus rhamnosus (Lr-32) 1 Billion CFU's

I use: Healthy Origins, Probiotic, 30 Billion CFU's from Iherb.

Blend of 8 probiotics strains 30 Billion CFU's †

Lactobacillus acidophilus (La-14) 12 Billion CFU's †

Bifidobacterium lactis (Bl-04) 12 Billion CFU's †

Lactobacillus casei (Lc-11) 1 Billion CFU's †

Bifidobacterium breve (Bb-03) 1 Billion CFU's †

Lactobacillus salivarius (Ls-33) 1 Billion CFU's †

Lactobacillus plantarum (Lp-115) 1 Billion CFU's †

Bifidobacterium longum (Bl-05) 1 Billion CFU's †

Lactobacillus rhamnosus (Lr-32) 1 Billion CFU's