ACN Latitudes Forums

Tic explosion

My 6 yr old daughter started having slight involuntary movement, jerking head side to side but now one week later she does it mult times an hour. She jerks head side to side very hard and quick, she nods head forward and backwards and both arms and legs jerk. None of the movements are in a rhythm or in a sequence. Her EEG was neg for seizures but her sleep study showed obstructive sleep apnea due to enlarged tonsils. We see a neurologist for our first visit 7/16/12......the sudden onset of all these moments have us worried sick. Obviously it looks likes Tics to me, they onset in the morning but get worse as the day goes on and its terrible in afternoon and at night then disappears in her sleep. She doesn't really do anything noticeable until she is with family at home, in other words anxiety doesn't bring it on. She sniffs alot to.....so vocal and motor tics right? Why all of a sudden the explosion of tics when a few weeks ago she was fine without any problems. Could a virus last week followed by ear infection start this?

Hey

It is a hard time we had same thing happen with my now 7 year old son he was 6 when he started his symptoms all of a sudden I have done a lot of research and it could be a number of different things. Most simple yes it could be severe ticks that will eventually lead to touretts how ever there are other things to rule out before accepting that diagnoses. It could be what take call pandas which stems from having a strep infection but it doesn't necessary have to be a strep throat infection it could be in her blood too. I would insist on getting a strep blood test done ASAP so if it is the cause of it you know. It is hard to detect the strep if you do not get it tested when it is active then its kind of hard to prove it is that ofcourse assuming it is that which it could not even be. But worth looking into. We go these blood tests done ASO Titer, Strep A Throab Throat ( just to make sure its not throat this is not blood test), DNAse b AB, streptococcal I would start with those there are other things as well but if its Pandas and the tests show she has strep in her system you can treat with antiobiotics right away to help her symptoms. If its not Pandas its going to be a long jorney to figure out what is wrong as it has been for us and we are still searching but we have had good and bad days that I can share if you want. Also I would go to a health store get something what they call acidophilus probiotic . It helped our son to help in getting his body more in balance.

Please feel free to share with me about your son.....has he been diagnosed? Also my daughter done great in preschool however not in kindergarten this past yr and had to attend summer school. Newly diagnosed sleep apnea may have played a role in this. She hasn't displayed any symptoms at the md office so I've been videoing her.....symptoms onset is usually after exertion when shes tired not when she is anxious

I would defiantly test her for strep!! Look at some of my old posts. Ds at 7 started having tics and OCD and was a mess. He has has the head jerks from front to back and neck and head jerks side to side. Had eye blinking and vocal. I am going on almost three years and what I have learned is interesting. You sound like me where a person throw out pandas and told me to go get him tested and I was looking into torrettes. First does anyone in your family or husbands family tic? My husband tics and that's about it. My ds has multiple allergies and sensitivities that we discovered and have addressed. Both my children also have had their share of strep. I now truely know it's not torrettes but pandas symptoms and allergies. I wasted a long time in the beginning assuming torrettes bc DH ticed. But over time realized its food, dyes, preservatives and strep that sets my children off. I know it's a lot to take in but when you see the correlation it really opens your eyes and you get that feeling of yes I could help in some way. You could pm me if you have any questions. I was lost and scared in the beginning still am at times. But your not alone. This site is awsome and really helped me with everything.

Mar

Hi,

I would highly recommend 1) reading the book referred to in the first pinned link of this forum, and 2) searching the second pinned link in this forum to see what kind of medical help is out there. It's hard to get a handle on things if you're flying solo. The book gives you information and direction so you can start to take control of what steps to take, and the proper medical help (that is, probably not your average pediatrician) is, in my opinion, priceless. We would have had a much harder time managing things without someone with some expertise in our corner. And this forum, which is also priceless!!

Good luck!

Chris

My 6 yr old daughter started having slight involuntary movement, jerking head side to side but now one week later she does it mult times an hour. She jerks head side to side very hard and quick, she nods head forward and backwards and both arms and legs jerk. None of the movements are in a rhythm or in a sequence. Her EEG was neg for seizures but her sleep study showed obstructive sleep apnea due to enlarged tonsils. We see a neurologist for our first visit 7/16/12......the sudden onset of all these moments have us worried sick. Obviously it looks likes Tics to me, they onset in the morning but get worse as the day goes on and its terrible in afternoon and at night then disappears in her sleep. She doesn't really do anything noticeable until she is with family at home, in other words anxiety doesn't bring it on. She sniffs alot to.....so vocal and motor tics right? Why all of a sudden the explosion of tics when a few weeks ago she was fine without any problems. Could a virus last week followed by ear infection start this?

The infection so near to onset would definitely be a red flag to checking out strep/etc.

Re: the exertion increasing them--is this exertion something like running outside? Reason I ask--my sons tics would explode expodentially when certain grasses/trees were in season---and, of course, worse when outside in it. (Something to keep in back of mind, anyhow, esp if symptoms get worse during similar months each year)

BEST WISHES!

Edited by laurena82

My Dd saw neurologist on Monday and surprisingly md brought up panda before I did.....blood was drawn for ASO, how long does it take to get results back? Her MRI and EEG are all neg so the process of elimination continues. Her head/shoulder jerky movements are still present and increases after walking alot, swimming etc but she continues to b active, playful which helps ease our nerves. Does panda ever go away or just remission?

My Dd saw neurologist on Monday and surprisingly md brought up panda before I did.....blood was drawn for ASO, how long does it take to get results back? Her MRI and EEG are all neg so the process of elimination continues. Her head/shoulder jerky movements are still present and increases after walking alot, swimming etc but she continues to b active, playful which helps ease our nerves. Does panda ever go away or just remission?

rn2003----just trolling tics area trying for continued education :)

Normally on the Pandas side. Yes infection will cause tics and tremors or chorea like movements. I did not get any help from main stream docs/peds. I ended up going to a DAN doctor for all the behavioral stuff coupled with the 1st strep tic and then mycoplasma pneumonia tremors/chorea. Have done abx trying to de-bulk the infection coupled with removing triggers/allergens trying to get immune response to chill out. Supplementation of all vitamin and mineral deficiencies.