ACN Latitudes Forums

Switching from Liquid Azithromycin to Pills

My son is 7 years old has PANDAS and has autism. He has been on 20 months of liquid Azithro since sudden onset PANDAS. He is now refusing to take and I am sure it will be a matter of days before he backslides to the dark days. I need advice.

I have tried to teach him to swallow pills before all efforts failed. He is a difficult child.

I have in the cupboard Keflex and Penn VK will either of these two abx substitute for Azithro until I can get dr. and pharmacy to switch out liquid and try pills? I just picked up a month's worth of liquid azithro.

He has had a lot of gerd lately and food refusal so I know he is having gastro distress. Have any of you ever switched from azithro for awhile due to gastro issues or otherwise with any success? Azithro is his magic medicine. Scared to death after 18 months of progress we are going to lose it all.

Please any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

My son is 7 years old has PANDAS and has autism. He has been on 20 months of liquid Azithro since sudden onset PANDAS. He is now refusing to take and I am sure it will be a matter of days before he backslides to the dark days. I need advice.

I have tried to teach him to swallow pills before all efforts failed. He is a difficult child.

I have in the cupboard Keflex and Penn VK will either of these two abx substitute for Azithro until I can get dr. and pharmacy to switch out liquid and try pills? I just picked up a month's worth of liquid azithro.

He has had a lot of gerd lately and food refusal so I know he is having gastro distress. Have any of you ever switched from azithro for awhile due to gastro issues or otherwise with any success? Azithro is his magic medicine. Scared to death after 18 months of progress we are going to lose it all.

Please any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Keflex is a cephalasporin and penn vk is a penicillin. Zithromax is a macrolide. With all that said, no none of them are in the same class, but you may see results with any of the three.

Have you tried making milk shakes or chocolate milk and putting the zith in without him knowing it? It can be mixed with anything as there are no food restrictions for zithromax.

Oh, I should also say, been there done that too. Kiddo with autism and other issues as well. My kiddo has been on pills for some time, and during the last episode, she flat began refusing to take them. At one point I was holding her down and forcing her to swallow them. Then she decided she did not like that (it only took one time thank God), so she reluctantly resumed taking them if I forced my hand and stood there while she took them.

See if you can sneak the zith into any food/drink you know he likes and will drink/eat it all. Maybe banana pudding, or shakes? I believe it is a bit fruity in flavor so bear that in mind as you try to disguise it.

Hugs2day,

Maybe there will be a silver lining in this cloud.

First, I agree with Mayzoo.....see if you can find something that will cover the azithromycin (probably not) ....or maybe something more successful will be give the liquid zith in a syringe and offer a bribe syringe to chase it with ....something really tasty to him.

The silver lining.....alot of the liquid drugs have aspartame in them. Maybe his body is telling him that it makes him feel sick now. So if all else fails, he can learn to swallow pills. I started with a small tiny pill in thin liquid pureed food and gradually worked up. You might be able to start with small piece of food and gradually work up so he gets used to swallowing....then fade in the pill.

Good luck,

K

PS when I taught my daughter how to swallow pills.....I used smallest to learn on and also remember, capsules float so head tilt a little forward and tablets/pills slide down better if you tilt up a little. She was able to understand this....my son was not able to get this concept.

Thank you both for some great advice. I do think its just Azithro aversion because it is making him sick. He will take liquid IBU, bactrim, and even liquid Flagyl which tastes awful, but he sees Azithro and say no yuckie and flat out refuses.

Aspartame scares me I used to get the azithro and diflucan compounded without all the junk but now I just use CVS bcuz of money tight.

It may very well be a blessing in disguise and I will move him to pills one way or another.

Thanks again.