ACN Latitudes Forums

tic gone after 6 years

Just noticed my older son has stopped clearing his throat. He has had this tic for 6 years since a strep infection(now 12yo). Basically constant throat clearing. At that time he also developed a post strep arthritis in his left knee which resolved on its own.

We started the diet for my younger son who had rapid onset OCD/PANDAS in Aug 2011. His symptoms have improved dramatically since Aug/Sept last year. He is doing great.

To prepare for the GAPS diet we started removing grains in Nov 2011. We began the introduction diet to GAPS in Feb 2012. We followed the intro diet for 30 days. Now we are on the full/regular gaps diet-March to July 2012.

Just wanted to share that diet healing is subtle but... it also seems to be amazing.

Just noticed my older son has stopped clearing his throat. He has had this tic for 6 years since a strep infection(now 12yo). Basically constant throat clearing. At that time he also developed a post strep arthritis in his left knee which resolved on its own.

We started the diet for my younger son who had rapid onset OCD/PANDAS in Aug 2011. His symptoms have improved dramatically since Aug/Sept last year. He is doing great.

To prepare for the GAPS diet we started removing grains in Nov 2011. We began the introduction diet to GAPS in Feb 2012. We followed the intro diet for 30 days. Now we are on the full/regular gaps diet-March to July 2012.

Just wanted to share that diet healing is subtle but... it also seems to be amazing.

Could you explain the GAPS diet you used?

Hi Chemar,

One of my children has PANDAS(no tics). My oldest has a throat clearing tic. This post is specifically regarding the clearing of the tic. While we began the GAPS diet for my youngest the whole family has followed this.

Could you explain the GAPS diet you used?

Hi SCM

The GAPS diet we used follows a protocol designed by Natasha Campbell McBride. She is a physician(neurologist) trained in Russia. When her child developed autism she found she was at a loss for treatments within standard medicine. She found that there were no treatments offered. She returned to school to study nutrition and received advanced degrees in this area. She has a clinic in England working with kids with a huge assortment of issues that are primarily treated with diet. Her child and many others are helped and recovered in this approach.

The foundation of the diet is based on the specific carbohydrate diet that was developed to heal Crohn's, colitis,celiac disease. As these people(and many of us and our kids) gut are not healthy and in balance -complex molecules are not being digested and instead are feeding pathological bacteria/yeast etc. So one part of the diet involves taking these out of the diet(these include grain, some starchy veg-potato, sw pot, yam etc) which stops feeding these critters.

The diet as well resembles an exclusion diet when started with the introduction diet. We followed a guide that mapped out the 30 day diet. We found this guide extremely helpful to navigating the challenging early weeks that are heavily based on healing broths, easy to digest veggies, egg yolk etc etc.

In addition to completing the "intro" we prepared for about 3 months. For us this meant primarily removing grains-I left in 100% rye bread for the first 2 months of this period. Also removing foods we couldn't eat on the diet, stocking up on what we would need etc.

The basis of the diet then becomes the healing of the gut, providing easily digestable protein, simple carbs etc and lots of fermented foods to replenish the good bacteria. We now get raw milk which we make into yogurt(24+ferment), organic meat/bones for soups, make our own ghee etc. It is an education and the focus of our home and life at the moment.

http://www.gapsdiet.com/

http://www.gapsdiet.com/INTRODUCTION_DIET.html

http://www.healthhomehappy.com/grain-free-2/30-days-on-gaps-intro-e-book

Edited by HelenJenn

• 2 months later...

Hi HelenJenn,

it's not surprised that you son's tics gone after this diet...after studying it on web further and watching the videos below has helped to understand this diet thing is much more profound than it seems...one lady asked how about how to regulate immune system, the answer seems lay in the guts. thanks for sharing your story, it makes me wanting to start this diet. Have been on GFCF diet, not enough. DD8 also has tics.

Would love to communicate with you regarding this. Can you PM me or is it ok I pm you? It's quite intimidating to start with the intro diet as you did it. It's better to start with the full diet with us, since my DD is constipated..the hard part is how do you pack for lunch with this diet..

The following are the videos I watched...have you seen them before? loads of info totally worth watching.

Dr Campbell speach at Price conference: (1hr 30min)

Youtube: Dr. Joseph Mercola interviews Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride (2 hrs)