ACN Latitudes Forums

Depressed and crying uncontrollably

DS went to snowboarding camp (an overnight camp) and loved it so much he asked to stay another week - which he initially didn't want to sign up for because he thought it would be too long away from home. We allowed him to stay, and thoroughly enjoyed the pandas-free household for two weeks, and the fact that he was having "the best time of his entire life"...now he's back and its over, and he can't seem to get over his sadness that it has ended. He's been crying on and off for 3 days - often in his closest (a regression thing I've not seen in a while).

He's always had some mental inflexibility as a symptom, but this is beyond that. He's stuck on the fact that its over. (along with begging us to send him to a boarding school where he can snowboard - like a couple of the kids he met at this camp). Where he would be away from me and the fact that seeing me swallow (saliva, food, coughing, sniffing..- all set him OFF). and that makes life difficult - stuff like 4th of July parties, anything social is pretty much out of the question for us to do together. And miserable for him. His freedom from it for two weeks has made him realize how miserable his real life it.

We thought he was just over tired, and gave him a couple days to catch up on sleep...but it hasn't gotten any better.

Of COURSE it get more complicated - since its a holiday week, and my husband and son leave for a trip to Europe on the 5th....I'm freaking out. And stressed beyond belief.

Any advice appreciated....

can you get into intensive cbt? he has "seen the other side" and it is greener! maybe would this past week at camp would be a great driving force in successful ERP?

we have done everything with our kids pandas-wise (literally... pex, ivig, steroids, abx, integrative med doc) and it all did something and in some instances did alot.

NOW both have completed / are doing intensive cbt/erp. I cannot say enough about how this therapy has helped. both were not ready or able before all the medical interventions.

I think, if he is able to physically go to camp and deal, he should be a candidate for intensive therapy, both for ocd and depression.

Edited by PowPow

I agree 100% on the CBT / ERP. The OCD that you are describing will be best dealt with in that enviornment. My suggestion is to start with an intensive program somewhere, then follow up with something local, unless you have an intensive program local, in which case you are very fortunate. There is a 3 week intensive program in Florida and I have recently heard of the one week intensive program in Minnesota (which I heard was good also). My personal opinion is that your son will only be able to move past this type of issue with a good program. Even though it begins with an infectious trigger, it becomes very engrained in their thinking. The good news is that ERP will work wonders if you get a good therapist. It will turn your life around. Best of luck to your family.

Dedee

hey norcal,

i have not fully read the replies.

my ds9 is more sensitive and worried? than my other 2. So i have concerns and sometime have to deal with talking him down(out of being stuck) and something that he might be fixated on. It's not to the degree you are discussing, but it concerns me as i see it lurking around.

I don't know remember the age of your ds.

i don't know your financial situation.

Can you get him to actively participate in searching for another camp or similar trip?

Shifting the expectation to the future and out of the current moment of his sadness, from how things stink right now, which is a continuous struggle in life, and to the hope and excitement of good things to come.

He can search the web...look at the different options also knowing that things do end, but other things begin. And sometimes we have to be patient. Maybe you can pose mowing the lawn as income to getting to that point.

I may not have the best words to coincide with the process, but you may have ideas of what he responds too.

Sorry you are going through this.

I recently, w/i the last month or 2, saw a piece on another family where the mom could't swallow and such around her daughter. I wish i could remember where and when.