ACN Latitudes Forums

How do you find a DAN?

I went to see a friend today and found out her 2 y.o. regressed/lost most of his language and also is spinning/watching wheels spin. He is 2 and has less than 10 words, he only says Mama when he gets hurt, he said it for the first time at 4 months. He will make eye contact and does engage socially. He does show some signs of OCD too, lining things up etc. I know he has been sick a number of times, lots of fevers, rashes etc. I also noticed that he grunts. He seems to understand everything but won't talk. She is very open to seeing Dr. B and also a DAN. Actually she was thrilled to hear that this specialty existed. I knew about DANS from this board thankfully, but how do you find one? We are in the Westchester NY area so white plains, yonkers, new rochelle, scarsdale etc are good. CT and NYC are also possible. Thanks in advance!

Ken Bock in Rhinebeck, NY is excellent. He treats ASD, PANDAS, Lyme et al. He has been treating my DD for 9 years and now my Lyme/Bartonella.

She may want to get a copy of his latest book, Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies. It's a good read and packed with lots of valuable information.

Edited by NancyD

Thank you, someone else just sent me his name too - so he definitely seems like the right person. I have also considered him for my DD who has Lyme etc., we have been heavy on abx and I want to start adding naturals in too. A thought ocurred to me today, after learning so much these past months - my kids get illness after illness and the pediatricians told me over and over again "It's just a virus" even though they have no clinical way of differntiating between a virus and bacterial illness. Even this winter when my two year old had double pneumonia, they were reulctant to give me a prescription. So my thought was, perhaps the underuse of antibiotics is a contributing factor to these epidemics...letting these illnesses run wild where as before pediatricians would prescribe antibiotis more frequently. I wonder.

Thank you, someone else just sent me his name too - so he definitely seems like the right person. I have also considered him for my DD who has Lyme etc., we have been heavy on abx and I want to start adding naturals in too. A thought ocurred to me today, after learning so much these past months - my kids get illness after illness and the pediatricians told me over and over again "It's just a virus" even though they have no clinical way of differntiating between a virus and bacterial illness. Even this winter when my two year old had double pneumonia, they were reulctant to give me a prescription. So my thought was, perhaps the underuse of antibiotics is a contributing factor to these epidemics...letting these illnesses run wild where as before pediatricians would prescribe antibiotis more frequently. I wonder.

Well, I kind of agree that the peds are too quick to call everything a virus, but when I go to a local after hours clinic (which is usually where I end up because my kids never get sick during office hours). All they do is a quick finger prick and test the WBC count. This easily tells them if it is viral or bacterial. Then if it is bacterial, they usually prescribe some general abx. And send us in our way. That is almost as frusterating because although you get abx. They never test further to say what it is you have. Could be strep, bronchitis, ear infection, etc..... So then when you see another dr. And they ask what you had or have all you can say is "well all I know is it is bacterial". So anyway I know you can determine if abx. Are needed, but you also kind of want to know what it is you are treating. It is all very frusterating.

Well, I kind of agree that the peds are too quick to call everything a virus, but when I go to a local after hours clinic (which is usually where I end up because my kids never get sick during office hours). All they do is a quick finger prick and test the WBC count. This easily tells them if it is viral or bacterial. Then if it is bacterial, they usually prescribe some general abx. And send us in our way. That is almost as frusterating because although you get abx. They never test further to say what it is you have. Could be strep, bronchitis, ear infection, etc..... So then when you see another dr. And they ask what you had or have all you can say is "well all I know is it is bacterial". So anyway I know you can determine if abx. Are needed, but you also kind of want to know what it is you are treating. It is all very frusterating.

interetsing about the finger stick, I am going to ask for this next time!

Well, I kind of agree that the peds are too quick to call everything a virus, but when I go to a local after hours clinic (which is usually where I end up because my kids never get sick during office hours). All they do is a quick finger prick and test the WBC count. This easily tells them if it is viral or bacterial.

I'm very confused by this. White blood cells fight all sorts of infections - bacterial as well as viral. I'm not understanding how a WBC test can tell you whether to prescribe abx.

Well, I kind of agree that the peds are too quick to call everything a virus, but when I go to a local after hours clinic (which is usually where I end up because my kids never get sick during office hours). All they do is a quick finger prick and test the WBC count. This easily tells them if it is viral or bacterial.

I'm very confused by this. White blood cells fight all sorts of infections - bacterial as well as viral. I'm not understanding how a WBC test can tell you whether to prescribe abx.

I was confused also, but maybe if it is bacterial the wbc count is much higher. I have never asked what range they use to determine this but obviously they use this method all the time. We all use this particular after hours clinic frequently. Each and every time we go with basic cold/flu symptoms that is all they do. One day I went in for myself and they pricked me and said... Wow..the positive news is yours is bacterial so we can give you abx, but almost every other person they had seen that day with simular symptoms had been viral. I usually leave wishing I knew what the heck me/kiddo had though but don't want to request other labs because those after hours clinics are expensive enough as it is.