ACN Latitudes Forums

Yeast free Diet

My little boy Lucas had some Tics over the last year and 1/2, mainly hard blinking, shoulder shrugging, rubbing his chin on his shoulders, lifting one of his legs, sniffing and one short lived vocal tic where he sort of squeaked..in March this year after almost breaking down myself watching him, especially at school, I decided i had to do something other than just reading and researching..so i took him for a hair allergy test (would have preferred to do a proper blood test but blood tests in the past have been so traumatic for Lucas).

It came back intolerant to eggs, some food colourings, wheat and sugar, we started the diet straight away..literally in 2 days we noticed a 95% improvement, we were meant to be on the diet for 3 months and then start introducing the foods back, well i wanted to try this in the holidays instead, which meant we were on the diet for almost 4 months, just incase the tics came back in full force i wanted him at home..we promised Lucas it would be sugar 1st as that was the one he was missing the most. 2 weeks ago we found a gluten free, sugar free bread in the supermarket that he could have and it's been great, he has been having it for breakfast and lunch but gradually and very slowly getting the tics back, to the point as we are just about to allow him his sugar treat he is ticcing quite bad (still not anywhere near as bad as he was!) anyway started to think `i wonder if it was yeast all along...he has a white tongue, gets blisters or ulcers in his mouth every now and then, does lack concentration! to start with we would have cut out everything bad that feeds a yeast infection, but gradually got so good at cooking with honey or maple syrup (which we were told was ok) and then adding the fresh yeast...wondering if we were slowly feeding the yeast?

Anyway if we do start the yeast free diet! how do we start...does anyone have any good advise for us? basically we are on the school holidays for 2 weeks, really wanting/hoping we can do the really strict diet for those 2 weeks (so really need to know what we can't eat but also what we can eat) I know we can eat veg and meat but what carbs can he eat? then would like to be able to introduce some foods back in to make school lunches easier...so which foods would be ok to introduce back in...

What was your diet plan?

We got some inner Health pro-biotics today and he did have his sugar treat Friday eve which he didn't get any worse after having, but now want to get back to helping him...

Thank you for your help in advance

Julie and Lucas

I did yeast free with my children and still am mostly. Ds was test positive for brewers yeast and was put in a lot of antibotics as the child's. He was showing allergies and sensitivities to a lot of things (too many to list). Their tongues were also white and get worst when on antibiotics. Anyway what they eat:

-All fruits and vegtables ( unless sensitive to any I was told to stay away for a time)

-pasta (brown rice, corn) we do gluten free

-oats ( gluten free I get at whole foods)

-I cut out all sugar (this was hard and you will see them freaking out but it's for the better) I did it hard core for awhile) dd would lay on the ground kicking and sreaming for candy in the beginning. I got rid of all candy and cookies from the house or anything with sugar. If they didn't see it, it was better. They never drank pop so that was easy. For Halloween they would go collect candy and exchange it for a trip to the store to pick out a toy. Don't give in on this one trust me they will live without it. I do know that sugar makes both my children hyperactive and I have seen brain fog, crying episodes for more, and the list could go on. This was 3 years ago. Over time the treats they do get now is glee gum from whole foods ( no dyes or any aspartame) that is the only gum I could find and we stock up! They get "enjoy life" cookies (whole foods and jewel). ginger snaps at trader joes. I have a Popsicle maker (bed bath and beyond and that store in the mall with all the kitchen gadgets ). I buy pure organic fruit juice and they love the Popsicles. In il they have a store called new vitality and thank goodness they have gluten free/dye free candy canes that they enjoy over the holidays!! Now we do gluten/egg and a lot other allergen free muffins and pancakes that we make from scratch from whole foods. They also have good suckers at trader joes that are dye free. I don't recall but I went at least

9 months with ds because he was bad. These are things they enjoy now .

-all meats we strive for organic

- we pop our own popcorn with some olive oil and salt and they love it!

- on salads they drizzle some olive oil and some garlic salt (Costco).

- they have gluten free/ preservative Free hotdogs at trader joes and whole foods.

- I get coconut ice cream at whole foods and now have it my jewel.

- depending on his other allergies they have gluten/ yeast free pancakes and waffles at trader joes.

One comment is this was hard because the way I cooked had to be completely changed because of his diet. But one piece of advice I learned from a friend who had a child with allergies is to make dinner for the whole family that he can have also. This way they have a meal where they don't feel lleft out. There was no bread crumbs, eggs, yeast, soy, gluten, milk etc. but when he seen that we were all eating the same meal when he was 7 he was happy and felt like he wasn't an outcast or missing out on anything. We still do this now.

Lunch and breakfast is different, he doesn't care anymore. But to have that meal shared as a family really helped ( also it would be hard making too seperate meals).

When we went this route ds did not get an ear infection for three years which he used to get all the time. His tics improved and his attitude. He now likes the diet he is on because he feels better.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mar

Thank you so much for all your advise

We have been on the No sugar, No Wheat and no egg diet for 4 months now but have to say adding the no yeast detox in is pretty hard...at the mo we are going to go hard out on the 2 week detox which says no fruit, no white flour at all (which is one of the hardest because our gluten free mix has potato flour in there as well as corn and rice flour), lucky we have a child who is willing to try anything, good job it's not my other child who is as fussy as they come! :( At the mo i'm trying Polenta, and trying to master grilling it!!! I am finding breakfasts the hardest..

Wish we had Trader Joes here in NZ, we do have a bed bath and beyond so may look into the Popsicle maker `that sounds awesome. In 2 weeks we will bring the gluten free flour, rice and popcorn (home made) back in..which will certainly make this all a bit easier.

I love your Halloween idea, Lucas has a birthday party to go to this Sat so might try saying that if he leaves all the food alone there i will treat him to lego instead!!

I think the hardest thing is when you feel you are getting somewhere and then the tics come back but i'm determined to get to the bottom of this and if we have to be on this diet for many years to come then so be it `our children are worth it...do think they deserve a medal.

Can i ask what test you did? I think I would like a test done for Lucas but just don't want a blood test, he totally freaks out more than anyone could ever imagin!!!

Thanx again - Julie and Lucas (8 years old) X

I did yeast free with my children and still am mostly. Ds was test positive for brewers yeast and was put in a lot of antibotics as the child's. He was showing allergies and sensitivities to a lot of things (too many to list). Their tongues were also white and get worst when on antibiotics. Anyway what they eat:

-All fruits and vegtables ( unless sensitive to any I was told to stay away for a time)

-pasta (brown rice, corn) we do gluten free

-oats ( gluten free I get at whole foods)

-I cut out all sugar (this was hard and you will see them freaking out but it's for the better) I did it hard core for awhile) dd would lay on the ground kicking and sreaming for candy in the beginning. I got rid of all candy and cookies from the house or anything with sugar. If they didn't see it, it was better. They never drank pop so that was easy. For Halloween they would go collect candy and exchange it for a trip to the store to pick out a toy. Don't give in on this one trust me they will live without it. I do know that sugar makes both my children hyperactive and I have seen brain fog, crying episodes for more, and the list could go on. This was 3 years ago. Over time the treats they do get now is glee gum from whole foods ( no dyes or any aspartame) that is the only gum I could find and we stock up! They get "enjoy life" cookies (whole foods and jewel). ginger snaps at trader joes. I have a Popsicle maker (bed bath and beyond and that store in the mall with all the kitchen gadgets ). I buy pure organic fruit juice and they love the Popsicles. In il they have a store called new vitality and thank goodness they have gluten free/dye free candy canes that they enjoy over the holidays!! Now we do gluten/egg and a lot other allergen free muffins and pancakes that we make from scratch from whole foods. They also have good suckers at trader joes that are dye free. I don't recall but I went at least

9 months with ds because he was bad. These are things they enjoy now .

-all meats we strive for organic

- we pop our own popcorn with some olive oil and salt and they love it!

- on salads they drizzle some olive oil and some garlic salt (Costco).

- they have gluten free/ preservative Free hotdogs at trader joes and whole foods.

- I get coconut ice cream at whole foods and now have it my jewel.

- depending on his other allergies they have gluten/ yeast free pancakes and waffles at trader joes.

One comment is this was hard because the way I cooked had to be completely changed because of his diet. But one piece of advice I learned from a friend who had a child with allergies is to make dinner for the whole family that he can have also. This way they have a meal where they don't feel lleft out. There was no bread crumbs, eggs, yeast, soy, gluten, milk etc. but when he seen that we were all eating the same meal when he was 7 he was happy and felt like he wasn't an outcast or missing out on anything. We still do this now.

Lunch and breakfast is different, he doesn't care anymore. But to have that meal shared as a family really helped ( also it would be hard making too seperate meals).

When we went this route ds did not get an ear infection for three years which he used to get all the time. His tics improved and his attitude. He now likes the diet he is on because he feels better.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mar

By "Yeast Free" I am assuming you mean for a Candida eradication diet? rather than a yeast allergy?

A very helpful book is The Yeast Syndrome by Mortin Walker & John Trowbridge, as it has a food guide with recipes in the back http://www.amazon.com/Yeast-Syndrome-I-P-Trowbridge/dp/0553277510

Coconut Oil (1 teaspoon a day) as a natural antibiotic and kefir as a natural probiotic are excllent aids in working to eliminate Candida

First of all let me mention a couple of things for breakfast. They have gluten free oatmeal we purchase at whole foods. It's a pretty decent size bag that he will add frozen fruit and cinnamon to. There are also gluten free breakfast sausages I get from Costco. They have "pandas" cereal from jewel. Also nitrate fee/ preservative free and what not Kirkland bacon we use from Costco. The gluten/egg/soy free pancake mix and muffin mix I now buy from whole foods with they love. I believe it's king Arthur. Sorry my brain a mess at times. I went yeast free with ds b/c I believed he had candida and because he was reactioning to brewers yeastand bakers yeast very highly (his worst) on his igg bloodwork. We did do bloodwork on ds but did not on dd b/c she wouldn't allow it. Yes you will see tics every now and then but from my experience they are shorter lived and usually we can guess what and where they are coming from. This makes me feel a little more at ease. When he gets strep they come out or when one of them gets sick I notice them more but it could be stress related. My main concern is I keep him non congested then he seems better and that's why we stick with the diet. We use no allergy meds on him and have not in 3 years we stick with foods that don't make him congested and it seems to work for him. I did this other testing on dd in which they had here hold a metal rod in her hand and sensitivities came up. The main ones were gluten and milk. Of course dyes and preservatives came up but I believe those aren't good for any of us but anyway going gluten free and milk free with her worked wonders. Her leg pains and belly pains improving right away. I could find out what this test was called exactly and pm u. But the best thing is to try it out and see what helps. You are a strong mom. These kids need us and I believe if there is anyway to help them I we are here. Any help is better then none. Please pm md if you have any questions.

Mar

While restrictive I would suggest the GAPS diet. The design is to heal the gut which is overwhelmed with yeast, out of balance with bacteria etc. One of the very important features is introducing femented foods to heal and detox.

I was highly motivated when I made some connections not only with yeast but also food reactions that indicated an autoimmune response(PANDAS). After 5 months we have had success with tics, ocd, behaviour. We did take 3 months to transition into it(basically removing all grains bit by bit).

When our youngest gets too much sweet(fruit etc) symptoms return. We just cut back again and keep going with the diet. I believe the idea is to continue 1 year after the last symptoms. We have learned to enjoy and feel very nourished on the diet. It is very healthy. Lots of good fats, soups, broths etc.