ACN Latitudes Forums

Whispering

My kiddo (DD10) quit talking all together for three months in September 2011. When she began talking again, she would only whisper. She says her throat does not hurt and she is currently strep negative. When we began Zithromax in January, she slowly began to use a normal voice again and was completely back to a normal voice by middle of March, until June when she got strep again while still on Zithromax. A few other symptoms returned as well when she got strep. After the strep was eradicated, she immediately had a sinus infection, and now it is gone as well.

She still is whispering. I talked to her last night about starting a new medicine (minocycline) and how it could help her get her big voice back and how happy that would make everyone since we will be able to understand her. I told her again about how she has such important things to say we all want to be able to understand her (expressive delay due to autism/Chiari as it is). She became terrified at the idea of her big voice coming back and started shaking and crying. She became rooted to the spot she was standing in unable to move. Basically an all out anxiety/panic attack at the idea of talking in her big voice again.

Anyone else dealing with this?

My kiddo (DD10) quit talking all together for three months in September 2011. When she began talking again, she would only whisper. She says her throat does not hurt and she is currently strep negative. When we began Zithromax in January, she slowly began to use a normal voice again and was completely back to a normal voice by middle of March, until June when she got strep again while still on Zithromax. A few other symptoms returned as well when she got strep. After the strep was eradicated, she immediately had a sinus infection, and now it is gone as well.

She still is whispering. I talked to her last night about starting a new medicine (minocycline) and how it could help her get her big voice back and how happy that would make everyone since we will be able to understand her. I told her again about how she has such important things to say we all want to be able to understand her (expressive delay due to autism/Chiari as it is). She became terrified at the idea of her big voice coming back and started shaking and crying. She became rooted to the spot she was standing in unable to move. Basically an all out anxiety/panic attack at the idea of talking in her big voice again.

I don't have any real advice to give, but just wanted to say my thoughts and prayers are with you. Sometimes we (as parents) try to sit and think of the best way to approach these types of situations and then it all completely backfires. I probably would have approached it the exact same way. I hope that the minocycline works, I bet it will.

I don't have any real advice to give, but just wanted to say my thoughts and prayers are with you. Sometimes we (as parents) try to sit and think of the best way to approach these types of situations and then it all completely backfires. I probably would have approached it the exact same way. I hope that the minocycline works, I bet it will.

Thanks, we are hoping again. Things at least are not as bad as they were a few months ago, so we are still thankful. I wish she could express herself as to what is going on to make her whisper. When she is completely distracted by certain types of play (i. ewater fight in the pool) she uses a normal voice, but the rest the time she whispers. *Shrugs* another one for the mystery files around here.

I usually hang out in the closed Facebook group, but I'm here today. Read this & thought Selective Mutism (anxiety disorder) & Googled & whispering is a sign. Maybe you already have all that info. But...it is very likely a PANDAS symptom and hopefully once you get the right med/treatment it will correct itself and she will be back to speaking normally without any tears.

I usually hang out in the closed Facebook group, but I'm here today. Read this & thought Selective Mutism (anxiety disorder) & Googled & whispering is a sign. Maybe you already have all that info. But...it is very likely a PANDAS symptom and hopefully once you get the right med/treatment it will correct itself and she will be back to speaking normally without any tears.

Sounds like OCD, which if so, is part of PANDAS (and also sounds like selective mutism. Hopefully she does get the right tx, and gets better. But, I guess maybe don't bring it up to her, so it doesn't increase her anxiety.