ACN Latitudes Forums

MTHFR

Hi everyone, anyone know if Dr B tests routinely for this or if he'll oblige if asked? Also, is it an expensive test that requires insurance approval or pre cert? What does one do with the results if positive? Supplement with folate? Thanks so much.

The insurance negotiated rate for this test was $50 when we did it last year. It's a very simple lab test run by most if not all commercial labs (Quest, Labcorp et al).

You can scan this thread for an overview of what to do with results. http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=17674

If you had a C677 mutation, your best bet would be to supplement with methylfolate, not regular folate. If you had an A1298 mutation, you would supplement with TMG. For some people, this may make a significant difference in moods and behavior. It did for my DD. Regardless of the improvements you may or may not see in behaviors, addressing a C677 mutation has huge implications for someone's risk of heart disease, stroke and macular degenerqation (which cost my dad most of his vision).

The insurance negotiated rate for this test was $50 when we did it last year. It's a very simple lab test run by most if not all commercial labs (Quest, Labcorp et al).

You can scan this thread for an overview of what to do with results. http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=17674

If you had a C677 mutation, your best bet would be to supplement with methylfolate, not regular folate. If you had an A1298 mutation, you would supplement with TMG. For some people, this may make a significant difference in moods and behavior. It did for my DD. Regardless of the improvements you may or may not see in behaviors, addressing a C677 mutation has huge implications for someone's risk of heart disease, stroke and macular degenerqation (which cost my dad most of his vision).

Can you refresh my memory on what is TMG/DMG? thx

Philamom- TMG stands for trimethylglycine. Here's a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimethylglycine Although generically referred to as Betaine, if you decide to supplement, you need to order TMG and not HCL Betaine (which aids in digestion but is not the same as TMG - learned that lesson the hard way).

Dean - if you have a MTHFR mutation, the consequences would be 1. possibly higher than normal levels of B-12 or folate in your blood (because they wouldn't be used sufficiencly in proper methylation) and 2. elevated homocysteine levels. I suppose you could ask to test these things, but given the low cost and ease of testing for MTHFR, I think you'd get better info from the MTHFR test. Testing for high homocystiene wouldn't tell you which mutation you had or how severe (i.e. whether you had C677 or A1298 or heterozygous (one mutation) or homozygous (2 mutations - one from each parent).

Thanks LLM. I had an appt. last week with our local DO for something else, but asked his opinion on my positive A1298C mutation. He just told me to supplement with B vit and folic acid. Isn't that misguided for this mutation? I have an appt. with the ordering doctor on the 13th. I also tested positive for HLA-DQ8 (one of the variants associated with celiac disease), but all other testing performed for celiac was normal (quest).

I did get our local DO to write a script for MTHFR on dd. Had it done on Thursday.

We paid almost $600 for the test! (We hadn't met our $1000 deductible so it wasn't covered). Did United Healthcare scam us?

Philamom- TMG stands for trimethylglycine. Here's a link http://en.wikipedia....rimethylglycine Although generically referred to as Betaine, if you decide to supplement, you need to order TMG and not HCL Betaine (which aids in digestion but is not the same as TMG - learned that lesson the hard way).

hmm - interesting -- i see spinach has high levels of TMG. when i was pregnant with pandas ds, i thought for sure i must be having Popeye b/c i craved so much spinach! just recently found out i have a1298c.

Philamom- TMG stands for trimethylglycine. Here's a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimethylglycine Although generically referred to as Betaine, if you decide to supplement, you need to order TMG and not HCL Betaine (which aids in digestion but is not the same as TMG - learned that lesson the hard way).

Dean - if you have a MTHFR mutation, the consequences would be 1. possibly higher than normal levels of B-12 or folate in your blood (because they wouldn't be used sufficiencly in proper methylation) and 2. elevated homocysteine levels. I suppose you could ask to test these things, but given the low cost and ease of testing for MTHFR, I think you'd get better info from the MTHFR test. Testing for high homocystiene wouldn't tell you which mutation you had or how severe (i.e. whether you had C677 or A1298 or heterozygous (one mutation) or homozygous (2 mutations - one from each parent).

Ok, like myself, my daughter is positive for the A1298 gene (heterozygous). So, would she fall under category 1 or 2? Could you give me some more info. on TMG - is it a supplement you can purchase at whole fields? Thanks :-)