ACN Latitudes Forums

How to make friends?

Hi

After many tests, it is rather for sure that my son has fibro and possibly lyme. All could be a result of untreated strep. His ASO titers are high.

Anyways, he is isolated at home and I feel like he should have some friendships. Any suggestions? What do you do?

He is 12, by the way.

Thanks

Hi

After many tests, it is rather for sure that my son has fibro and possibly lyme. All could be a result of untreated strep. His ASO titers are high.

Anyways, he is isolated at home and I feel like he should have some friendships. Any suggestions? What do you do?

He is 12, by the way.

Thanks

Feel your pain. Not sure there is much you can do beyond keeping options open for him. I don't know your specific details but isolation is generally self imposed by the kids. You can't really push them to socialize if they don't want to. (BTW - I know that I am reading a lot into the post so my apologies if I'm way off base. If his isolation is due to the illness - keeping him isolated for medical reasons, please ignore my post.)

We took advantage of my son's good days when he would venture out. Trips to Target were a treat for him. Church was difficult but something that is important to him so that was one of our benchmarks for how well he was doing. At his worst, he was unable to attend. Encouraging even small trips may help him. Being outside the house helps to keep him socialized. Picking fun but short activities with a friend - even a fleeting friend in a neutral environment helps. A neighborhood pool with other kids allows them to "socialize" without direct interaction....they are still part of the crowd.

Now fortunately - my son is a little bit like me and didn't really miss "friends" too much. Being alone is okay with him in which case his isolation - even now - is not too bad of a thing for him personally. (My wife does not agree with that viewpoint of course.....)

When my son was unable to attend school the last 2 years, we got him an xbox live account. Would never have done this before all of this started, but he needed some socialization (and he loves socializing). Started at about 12 1/2 and we had to go through some steep learning curves on language etc. that happens on there. He still has his friends from school and does not play video games much when they get together which is good to see. He has made some really good friends on xbox, one of which he actually was able to meet a few months ago that was visiting in our area. The farthest friend is in Scotland and the closest about 5 hours East of our house. It is amazing to hear kids that age talk about traditions (i.e., kilts) and politics along with all their other goofy stuff. It also helped a lot with his depression at being sick for so long.

Just an idea...best wishes on continued healing!

When my son was unable to attend school the last 2 years, we got him an xbox live account. Would never have done this before all of this started, but he needed some socialization (and he loves socializing). Started at about 12 1/2 and we had to go through some steep learning curves on language etc. that happens on there. He still has his friends from school and does not play video games much when they get together which is good to see. He has made some really good friends on xbox, one of which he actually was able to meet a few months ago that was visiting in our area. The farthest friend is in Scotland and the closest about 5 hours East of our house. It is amazing to hear kids that age talk about traditions (i.e., kilts) and politics along with all their other goofy stuff. It also helped a lot with his depression at being sick for so long.

Just an idea...best wishes on continued healing!

I was also going to suggest xbox live.

Hi

He is 12, by the way.

Thanks

There is a private FB group for PANDAS kids. Browneyesmom would have more information.