ACN Latitudes Forums

I discovered something

Clay

One of my ticks is whistling. I found, purely by accident something that gives me some relief. I don't now if it would work for other vocal ticks or not but here it goes.

Take something small, like one of those glass coffee stirs or a pencil eraser something about that size. Gently put it inside your mouth between your upper lip and your gum.

I think the official term for that part of your mouth is called "Superior labial frenulum - http://theslowdog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Oral-Cavity1.jpg

A gentle pressure there and the urge just goes a way and I feel very calm. Sometimes I can tuck a piece of gum up there. I always wanted to know if that would work for anyone else and if so ... what that means, and investigating what going on there might be worth a look by some curios researcher.

Hello Clay

you may want to look into the mouthpieces that are made by dentists for people who have tics caused by TMJ (transmandibular joint) misalignment

We have some past threads here on it

That was what I thought of, too.

I thought the overall consensus is that those weren't very effective. Didn't some members say they got the mouthpieces and they didn't do anything? Maybe I am thinking of something else.

Yes Guy, the overall consensus was that it was not helpful BUT that was primarily people who were trying to "cure" tics from TS, as the hype had suggested.

If someone has TMJ, and possibly has tics related to that....it may be worth looking into

Hello Clay

you may want to look into the mouthpieces that are made by dentists for people who have tics caused by TMJ (transmandibular joint) misalignment

We have some past threads here on it

That was what I thought of, too.

I thought the overall consensus is that those weren't very effective. Didn't some members say they got the mouthpieces and they didn't do anything? Maybe I am thinking of something else.