ACN Latitudes Forums

IVIG w/IGA deficiency

My son will be starting IV abx tomorrow, to treat what is believed to be Lyme. The LLMD has also ordered IVIG once a week for a period of two months. He believes that this will help him respond better to his treatments, as his labs do show IGG deficiencies, as well as a low IGA.

I just was curious if anyone else's child has been prescribed IVIG with a known IGA deficiency. I was under the impression that IVIG was not recommended when there's an IGA deficiency. The prescription is for 20 grams of Gamunex, once per week.

Thanks for any insight.

My son will be starting IV abx tomorrow, to treat what is believed to be Lyme. The LLMD has also ordered IVIG once a week for a period of two months. He believes that this will help him respond better to his treatments, as his labs do show IGG deficiencies, as well as a low IGA.

I just was curious if anyone else's child has been prescribed IVIG with a known IGA deficiency. I was under the impression that IVIG was not recommended when there's an IGA deficiency. The prescription is for 20 grams of Gamunex, once per week.

Thanks for any insight.

*You know, I am not really sure, but I would double check.

When my dd got IVIG, our prescribing Dr. would not sign off for it (prescription for it, as we had it done locally here where we live)

until he specifically got a copy of her IGA to make sure it was not low.

Many PANDAS/Lyme kids have low-ish IgA, but it is not considered a huge problem unless it is around <10 (that's what we were told by 2 different immunologists). Both my children have low IgA, but in the 30's, and we were told it was fine for IVIG. Also, as I recall, one of the IVIG's is ok to give, but there's a difference as to what it is given with. There was a thread about 2 years ago on this subject (under PANDAS forum.) Sorry, but I can't remember more on this.