ACN Latitudes Forums
  • pandas-cover-cropped.pngYour Child Has Changed; Should You Consider PANDAS?

Have you seen our PANDAS eBook?  Our book is a helpful primer in a friendly question & answer format.  This eBook contains useful information to understand the symptoms of PANDAS, how it is diagnosed (including lab tests), the different types of treatments, approaches for prevention, and how to find the help and support that you need.  Your satisfaction is guaranteed. Learn more

Sign in to follow this  
fcefxer

OCD Constant, Help!

HELP! OCD non stop. Obsessive thoughts about a few friends who hurt her feelings. Was on and off, now every minute. Antibiotic not helping, just gave 60 mgs of prednesone, hoping the heck it doesn't make her manic. She keeps begging me to kill her. Trying to keep her from flipping out during day one of IVIG. Any ideas? Doctor gave valium for procedure and it only lasted 2 1/2 hours. Out of my mind here. Anything??????

could they slow down her infusion rate? how old is she? Is she getting some tomorrow? Sounds awful

She was flipping out all week, getting progressively worse so we did emergency IVIG. It did not cause her to be in a constant frantic OCD. We are doing 2 grams of Gammagard per kilo of body weight. But after her valium wore off, she was absolutely manic. I ended up giving her another half valium because we would not have made it otherwise. Dr's say her brain inflammation was so huge that it what's causing it. When I got home I remembered somewhere in my medicine cabinet there was some Augmentin we had never used, so I tried that. And three curcumin. Plus now Advil...UGH

Edited by fcefxer

she is having IVIG today and flipping out? Have you tried doxycycline?

We did 9 days of IV doxy, followed by minicycline and she continued to fail. Just not our correct antibiotic. Dr. feels she does not have the correct gene to rid her body of mold exposure and that's causing the intense inflammation, we will address that now. I don't know why we couldn't do at the same time, but any way, we're not out of ideas yet....

Nancy

IVIG can take a while to work. Im sure it will be fine. If you've seen a flare end before then you shouldn't be overly worried. Flares are normal with autoimmune disease. IV steroids or PEX might have been better options given the severity of the circumstance, they take down inflammation quickly.

Nancy, what did your doctor say about trying the iv lexafloxicin?? That is used for critical brain inflammation, I know there is a slight risk of use to young kids, but it might be worth another look for your dd. good luck.

I am curious about the infusion speed for the IVIG. We have had several docs tell us that, especially at HD, the rate of infusion should be extremely slow. Do you think the fact that she had the IVIG for only 2 1/2 hours actually made things worse. So sorry this is happening and hoping you find a quick fix to get things in a better place. Are you doing a 2nd day of IVIG today?

I am curious about the infusion speed for the IVIG. We have had several docs tell us that, especially at HD, the rate of infusion should be extremely slow. Do you think the fact that she had the IVIG for only 2 1/2 hours actually made things worse. So sorry this is happening and hoping you find a quick fix to get things in a better place. Are you doing a 2nd day of IVIG today?

I think she was saying the valium only lasted 2 1/2 hours. Hope today is a better day Nancy!

I agree, we were told IVIG absolutely has to be done over 5 days. 2 is much too short.

I have not heard of 5 days? How much is given each day and how long does each dose take?

Or do they go every other day? So really 3 days? Again, what dose per day and how long should each dose take?

I bet it is less taxing on the body.

Thanks for the info if you it.

Edited by Fixit

HELP! OCD non stop. Obsessive thoughts about a few friends who hurt her feelings. Was on and off, now every minute. Antibiotic not helping, just gave 60 mgs of prednesone, hoping the heck it doesn't make her manic. She keeps begging me to kill her. Trying to keep her from flipping out during day one of IVIG. Any ideas? Doctor gave valium for procedure and it only lasted 2 1/2 hours. Out of my mind here. Anything??????

Nancy...please make sure her gut is being covered by something stronger than just probitics. She may worsen and not realize it that might have been due to yeast overgrowth.

i wonder how many get steriods and worsen not due to steriods but from the yeast. I do think people with healthier systems can still correct the disbiosis, but others need more assistance with the stomach.

Edited by Fixit

Nancy...please make sure her gut is being covered by something stronger than just probitics. She may worsen and not realize it that might have been due to yeast overgrowth.

i wonder how many get steriods and worsen not due to steriods but from the yeast. I do think people with healthier systems can sell correct the disbiosis, but others need more assistance with the stomach.

Christine, what do you suggest? Duflican? Text me it because we are doing day 2 of IVIG right now. Today is a better day, it could be:

she was so bad I gave her Luvox for 2 days or

IVIG or

Augmentin or

I gave her 60 mgs of prednesone but am afraid she'll flip out more.. UGH or

I'm keeping up Advil and benedryl every 6. or

I'm praying my brains out.

Now to see what the cholestramine does when we start that. Upon closer examination, every freaking window sill had mold, the porches, and I can't imagine what's in my washing machine and dish washer. apparently from that online test, she is missing the gene to be able to clear it from her body...hope the improvement continues. getting NAC in her too. Supposed to really help with brain inflammation.

UGH

Nancy

(thanks for the kind words)

I'm so sorry to hear she is having such a rough time! My ds went through a period of asking me to kill him over and over. Its the worst, just heartbreaking. You'd posted a few weeks ago that she was much improved on IV Doxy. Did that last until they stopped the IV's? Maybe she needs more of that. Just throwing thoughts out. Also, if you know she has current infections, I'd be cautious with the steroids - they suppress the immune system and can make things worse in the long run. You know her best and will figure it out. Hang in there!