ACN Latitudes Forums

Flonase

My son is having problems with allergies and the usual OTC antihistamines have not helped, so we visited his pediatrician today. He was prescribed Flonase, a steroid nasal spray. I'm debating whether to fill the prescription since I think I've read that steroids could increase tics in people w/ Tourette's. This is a nasal spray, rather than an oral steroid, but I'd imagine it could still be an issue. Would love to hear from anyone who has either used Flonase with no problem or anyone who noticed that it triggered tics. Thanks!

My ds has been given this prescription several times in the last 2 years but we never used it. When his doctor said have him use this all spring and summer it just killed me because I thought really is this the answer. I guess I got scarred of b/c it's a steroid and at the time I also read that it's not good for tics. So I panicked and never used it. We helped him out with diet, tea and steam so he didnt need it eventually. But its kind of scary how these doctors just give it out like nothing. Dont take this to heart b/c i dont know how bad your childs congestion is and for how long. But my ds was horrible years ago so i know what it looks like and sounds likeand it would last for months on end. Anyway he was at the doctors this past month for strep and i guess was a little congested ( to me it was the last of my worries b/c it was nothing compared to how I am seen him before it was just a little sniffle) and they gave him the prescription again. I was like really he was not bad at all!!! What happened to some hot tea and steam. Of course I didn't give it b/c he was fine. Hopefully other parents can give you more insight who have actually used it.

Mar

My son is having problems with allergies and the usual OTC antihistamines have not helped, so we visited his pediatrician today. He was prescribed Flonase, a steroid nasal spray. I'm debating whether to fill the prescription since I think I've read that steroids could increase tics in people w/ Tourette's. This is a nasal spray, rather than an oral steroid, but I'd imagine it could still be an issue. Would love to hear from anyone who has either used Flonase with no problem or anyone who noticed that it triggered tics. Thanks!

My son is a ticcer although not Tourette's...he has used Nasonex (basically same thing, different brand name) intermittently during bad allergy times over the past 6 years. I don't notice any increase in tics. Great medication for us for allergy sxs and congestion. Delivery system is different as a nasal spray...it is not absorbed into bloodstream like oral steroids. Does not pass through the liver, so I've been told. Direct action and effect into swollen nasal passages/sinuses where it is needed. Have to use it daily for awhile to notice the positive effects. One time use will not give the positive benefits.

We are all allergy prone- my older NT son uses Flonase, my ticcer son uses Nasonex and I use Rhinocort. All different brand names and slightly different formulas.I had us all on different ones so everyone would have their own different product and not get mixed up to use another's nasal spray-eeewww. :o

HTH

My tics began when I was 17 shortly after using Flonase.

I don't know if that's the cause, and there were other things I was exposed to (such as black mold at my high school which later closed down as a result), but Flonase is a corticosteroid and steroids are known to exacerbate tics, so maybe I was genetically on the borderline and Flonase pushed me over?

I don't know.