ACN Latitudes Forums

Some happiness other than pandas !

So dd is in dance. She missed last year b/ c I couldn't deal with her breakdowns the year before and not wanting to go and ds screaming that he does not want to go didn't help. I I didn't want to fork out the money last year for nothing. So she started back up this past fall in a class with kids a year or 2 older then her. I was a little nervous if she would keep up since she has not done it in a year. 3 weeks ago her dance teacher came up to me and asked if I did auditions for company. I said no and she said that your daughter caught on quickly this year even though you were worried. She goes on saying that she has the smile and and the look that would be perfect for the stage. Also that she catches on quick and had the need to succeed. I am dumbfounded! She tells me if she would like to join she would just need to perform by a couple of teachers but she is basically in ( she is part owner of the studio) . So I kind of blew it of wondering if she would be able to handle the extra hours of dance. Then the following week the other owner that she would of auditioned to walks up to me and says is your dd interested. I have many questions and say I think she is supposed to audition in front of a couple of teachers and she saids yes that's me and I have seen her and she is good. And she says for miss Gina to recommend her is very rare. She never walks up to a parent and says this so she is definitely in if she would like to join. So of course I am Bouncing off the walls like really my little dd!!!! I spoke to dd and she wants to do it. Yes it's going to cost more but DH and I agreed to let her try it out. She will be in 3 competitions and the regular recital and she is excited. I don't want to sound like the crazy mom but with children who are on very strict diets and do tic and have OCD And who knows what else this is very exciting for me and her. I want her to be exposed to more friends and not be afraid of the stage and she seems to like it. She woke ul at 6 am on Saturday for her recital and said mom today is my special day!!! I said yes but come snuggle for a little so you won't be tired. So I am crossing my fingers and hope she will enjoy it and shine!!!!!

Mar

Awwww!!!!

You enjoy the brag, Mom! We know what you and your family have been through. We are smiling with pride right beside you.

What a joy to witness!

Congratuations and best of luck to dd!

That's wonderful!!! Dance was a huge part of my childhood - and really helped me work through a lot of the anxieties I had growing up. It was also a wonderful place to make friends outside of school - which I think is important for our kids because school can be so challenging for them.

Way to go momma!!!

Thanks for sharing the happy news! It is always nice to have a chance to see the bright spots in our kids' lives. And I know with all the challenges presented by PANDAS, this must be especially sweet and for you and your family. I'm so glad that your talented dd is getting this opportunity to pursue her passion.

I really Want to thank all of you for the support!!! I am proud of her and happy that she is happy! It is really nice to know that I can share all the ups and downs and that someone is out there to listen and knows exactly what I am talking about!! Thanks to all for all the info and support! I can't imagine what my life would be like without this group!

Mar

My daughter with PANDAS danced competitively too this year. Impossible feat yeat prior due to attention problems and involuntary movements in upper extremity. I was so happy that her dance teacher had the faith in us that she was doing well and was not nervous to bring her on board to competitive team, considering that an exacerbation could throw her back into these problems. She is good dancer and I'm so glad she had that opportunity, after years of being plagued by PANDAS symptoms! She has so much confidence on stage! I will tell you that I do see her perfectionist prior self come out in dance, but at least it's directed appropriately. This can, at times, push her OCD where she will practice a dance over and over, restarting it if she makes an error. She can also be a bit obsessive about getting down a dance step or into a split etc. I do not worry about it though, because it seems to be a passion for her! Its great that your daughter has something that comes easy to her to succeed in...it's not easy to live with PANDAS symptoms, and I believe even less so due to confidence issues-dance will give her that!

Welcome to the dance mom's club!....something I never saw in my future!

Amy

Edited by AmySLP

Amy

I am happy to hear you dd enjoyed it. I hope it will give dd a boost of confidences and that she has fun. I also see her perfectionist coming tnrough and thats why she pays attention and focuses. Dance moms here we come!!

Mar

I am very happy for you. Perfectionism in the arts or sports is usually called effort, determination, the will to win. If you rephrase OCD in those terms, it means your child is driven to succeed. Not exactly a bad thing!

Keep the good stories coming; those of us still working our way out of this need the light at the end of the tunnel!

Cobbie