ACN Latitudes Forums

First Visit with Dr. B. next week...

We're tavelling from Florida up to CT to meet with Dr. B for the first time next Monday. We have been a patient of Dr. M's for 2 1/2 years, and after all this time, while my son responds well to abx and is "manageable" (but not 100%) with them, she is at a loss (as well as all the local docs she's referred us to) as to why my son continues to get strep - we're now up to 5 infections since the start of the year! Yippee!! We've covered the basics - getting the family tested, even treated the dogs and did a full house disinfect when he got his T&A in November (only time he was 100% was for 6 weeks post op!). ALL of his labs and blood work are maddeningly normal - look like they are from a completely different kid's medical files.

Now - that being said...my husband and I are doing a "date night" tonight to sit down and go through our checklist of things I need to review with the Dr - write a history, and write out my questions.

For those of you who are familiair with Dr. B; or our story - any tips or suggestions as we prepare for the appointment? Should I bring my PANDAS daughters records too - eventhough he's not seeing her??

My son showed signs of strep again this weekend, so it's going to be fun travelling - but he likes to go and meet different doctors, and seems actually excited about the trip. So hoepfully he'll do okay. But if you see a news story about a little boy getting kicked off a flight from Tampa to Newark this weekend...you'll know who it is! :lol:

I would bring your daughters records as well. He may want to test for something that has yet to be tested.

I am familiar with your sons journey, but forget if he has been tested for Lyme and TBI's... Although strep seems like the biggest obstacle, have you tested through IgeneX? He may suggest that and I believe he has the kits right there. It

He is great, very knowledgable, but expect him to be a bit short and give quick answers.

I would also bring any records for yourself and husband if you have had any land lately.

If you appointment is for late afternoon, make sure the lab doesn't close before you have had blood drawn. I have seen that happen before.

Good luck! We will be there on Wednesday.

You are seeing Dr. B right? I know he is taking a vacation around this time. I hope they wouldn't have you travel from FL to see a PA for the first time.

We were there last week to get our results. That was our second visit and we met with his PA. I brought everything on my first visit and he didn't want to see anything. He had his list of questions and we answered them. I had my list of questions and he answered them briefly. He was very nice and his staff are very helpful.

He was very busy that day but we were glad that he is still accepting new patients. All in all we are happy we found someone we didn't have to explain, prove or educate about our sons issues. It was quite refreshing to say the least.

Hope you find the answers you're looking for. Have a safe trip!

I just want to mention that I really like Dr B and his office. He came into see my DD even though she had an appt with the PA because of a few things the PA was concerned about - we actually went initially as sort of a check in the box (my DD has Lyme) but through the treatment regimine with him where I have seen a number of her symptoms alleviated. I have come to realize that she does have a PANDAS component too. He was really good with my DD who was anxious and frankly not behaving well at all, she asked him about a pen he had and he gave it to her. I am still figuring things out between Lyme and PANDAS but continue to see him and our LLMD. I am pretty sure he was back from vacation last Thursday because he was out when we saw the PA recently and I recall that is what she said. Good luck with the plane ride - the more apps the merrier!

We have had Dr. B on our team for a year now and our son has really moved forward during this time. He is very busy so it can be frustrating at times - thus we schedule a phone consult every 4 weeks for continuum of care. I trust him, which is really saying something because I have learned over time not to trust many people in the medical community. Good luck and best to you!

I'm not sure how he is with other doctors. He does work with my LLMD, (not my case imparticular), but I know they do communicate on occasion. And its not Dr. J either. I think that because he is so extremely busy, it might not happen. But then again, he may.

Sounds like you have a great team for your kids!

Dr. B's office was kind enough to book us an appt late in the day, so we could drive all day and see them the same afternoon, then drive back the next morning. Of course, the down side was that by the time we rolled in, he was about 80 minutes behind schedule - and we'd already had a very long day. Be sure to ask at the desk when you get there to see how long the delay is. We were able to go to town for milkshakes and then return. We still cooled our heels for another hour after we got back - and we didn't leave the office until 9:00 pm. By then, the lab was closed and it was a Thursday evening. Since Dr. B's Darien office is not open on Fridays, we needed to find another local lab to have tests run before we could head out for our return trip in the morning. Definitely bring lots of items to entertain yourselves while you wait. He definitely pays full attention to you while he is with you and takes his time to be sure he understands your child's situation. Hope all goes well!

We'll be there Monday too, for a mid-day appointment :). As bigmighty said, he typically runs at least an hour behind. Even the time we had a 9 AM appointment he was already running that late. Bring things to keep yourselves entertained while you wait. We drive up the day before and then head back home right after the appointment. Monday will be a long day for us!