ACN Latitudes Forums

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever

So my ds, 12, was dx Monday with RMSF from a tick bit that happened on Thursday. He is still in a huge amount of pain (joint, muscle and headaches). Does anyone know how long this pain will last before he is better?

Thanks

I am so sorry. Does he have an all over body rash? The symptoms you mentioned can be from lyme and/or any of the co-infections, but I'm assuming they ran a blood test, or was it a clinical diagnosis? An acute infection of RMSF can be very dangerous so make sure he is being treated properly. What antibiotic was he given and for how long?

I think there may be different strains of RMSF depending on where you are located.

I am so sorry. Does he have an all over body rash? The symptoms you mentioned can be from lyme and/or any of the co-infections, but I'm assuming they ran a blood test, or was it a clinical diagnosis? An acute infection of RMSF can be very dangerous so make sure he is being treated properly. What antibiotic was he given and for how long?

I think there may be different strains of RMSF depending on where you are located.

No rash but he had high fever, not anymore, but his joint and muscles are still hurting.. on a scal of 1-10 he's at a 9 and motrin doesn't help. They did blood work and he did have Lyme last year. He's on doxycycline for 14 days. He did get the tick out fairly quickly and as soon as he showed symptoms I took him to the doctor for treatment. He's a PANDAS kid so I don't play around with stuff. He's still real tired and painful and he just wants to get back to normal. Oh yeah, we are in Tennessee.

Yes, I caught the Tennessee after I posted. Poor Kiddo. I probably would dose Motrin around the clock and discuss extending the doxy, especially if symptoms are still present after 14 days.

Yeah, he's not big on motrin and neither am I so wwe haven't really done much but tomorrow he's going to get it around the clock and if that doesn't help back to the doc we go for urine tests I guess. He does have a spot on his wrist today that looks puss filled so I'm not sure if it's a start of a rash.

Sorry it is so awful for your DS. My DD had Lyme that went undiagnosed at the first presentation, I hate to tell you this but the symptoms lasted for a good six weeks (I was repeatedly told it was a virus) The first three weeks were the worst, then she slowly got better. This was without treatment though so I hope your son's pain resolves more quickly. On the hopeful side my daughter was given Doxy (part of our late treatment) and it seemed to act very quickly, so hopefully this will be the case. I don't know much about RMSF but I believe you need a longer course of Doxy, like 28 days at least - all of these infections even early require this course. Wishing you the best