ACN Latitudes Forums

Teeth Stains

My DS7 started treatment for Lyme last month and has been taking a combo of Zithromax and Omnicef for the past 5 weeks. Prior to that he was taking Amoxicillin for 6 weeks.

Last week he had his regular 6 month dental cleaning. The hygienist was really surprised- many of grooves/cracks in his molars were brown (she referred to this as staining). There were also a few flecks of "staining" on the fronts of a few other teeth. My son has always had stellar dental visits, so this was a surprise to us all. I felt pretty silly for not noticing this before, but he is really good about brushing his own teeth and he is currently missing his front two teeth, so you can't see much head on.

The hygienist spent a long time working on his teeth, but she basically just scratched the surface trying to remove these stains. My son was getting restless in the chair and time was up. Both she and the dentist felt the "staining" was from the antibiotics and they suggested we come back every 3 months for a cleaning. They also suggested we brush his teeth right away after every antibiotic dose.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Any tips or suggestions? Does this only happen with liquid antibiotics?

Thanks for reading!

This happened with my kids when they took amoxicillin. Our dentist said amox should not do that but I could see a direct connection. They had taken zithromax for years with no trouble. They are off amox now and their teeth (after a good cleaning) are fine again.

I started using an ionic toothbrush and I think it worked very well, but this was after we stopped the meds so I can't say for sure.

Scrubbing with baking soda and water was the best for trying to remove the stains ourselves.

HUGS!

My entire family is treating for Lyme and co-infections and, along with multiple antibiotics, we also take Milk Thistle for Liver support. We all have brown staining on our teeth, which is removable with dental tools and a lot of elbow grease from the hygienist. Our hygienist said it is definitely caused by the Milk Thistle....So it might not just be abx causing the staining.

My DS7 started treatment for Lyme last month and has been taking a combo of Zithromax and Omnicef for the past 5 weeks. Prior to that he was taking Amoxicillin for 6 weeks.

Last week he had his regular 6 month dental cleaning. The hygienist was really surprised- many of grooves/cracks in his molars were brown (she referred to this as staining). There were also a few flecks of "staining" on the fronts of a few other teeth. My son has always had stellar dental visits, so this was a surprise to us all. I felt pretty silly for not noticing this before, but he is really good about brushing his own teeth and he is currently missing his front two teeth, so you can't see much head on.

The hygienist spent a long time working on his teeth, but she basically just scratched the surface trying to remove these stains. My son was getting restless in the chair and time was up. Both she and the dentist felt the "staining" was from the antibiotics and they suggested we come back every 3 months for a cleaning. They also suggested we brush his teeth right away after every antibiotic dose.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Any tips or suggestions? Does this only happen with liquid antibiotics?

Thanks for reading!

It should b temporary. I had stains but when I finished my treatment my dental hygienist said my teeth looked great, very little plaque. My kids had it too.it's the antibiotics that upset thatbdo it.u have to go to dentist more often but I skip flouride. Don't need extra toxins when sick.