ACN Latitudes Forums

I am seriously going to lose it!

Dont forget that dogs can be carriers!!

Oh yes...every time we have a flare up, our dog starts obsessing about licking the floor continuously, and his seizures worsen. We've convinced our vet to give him longer term abx, and having extra, I have been saving it for when he goes to the kennel (start him a day before, and go a few days after, because he always comes back sick!)

We don't have a dog bc ds is allergic to saliva. But he does play with neighbors dog and I am happy b/c he is not reacting to the saliva like he was years ago. But that's interesting. I can only image if I tell him the dog could have strep and you should stay away!! He would really think I am insane along with the neighbors and DH. I think they would all carry me to the psycho ward! At this point i would gladly go without a fight :).

And are most vets used to checking dogs for strep? Grandma has 4 dogs and we spend 3 weeks every July there!

No...I don't think they regularly check for it, because most wouldn't think about the neuropsych symptoms, and if the dog is presenting as ill (such as lethargic, eyes glossed over,) many vets will just prescribe abx...the tests cost money, and most families don't want to bother.

We didn't have ours checked specifically, either...just convinced the vet to treat long term, because abx had decreased the licking & other OCD type behavior. Also, when we first told him about the PANDAS (dog was getting a vaccine so he could go to the kennel, and I was concerned about live vaccines,) the vet totally understood from the start, and asked me to ask the neurologist if he should just treat the dog to be sure he wasn't a carrier! I don't know if all vets totally get it, but ours certainly does.