ACN Latitudes Forums

I am seriously going to lose it!

Ds on his second strep this month on day 6 1/2 on antibiotic. Today dd says awe yeah mom forgot to mention that my throat hurt in school today!!!!!! I nearly passed out ! I look at her and can see it in her eyes that she has a fever! Yes 101 temp here we come again. She just finished her antibiotic from strep on Monday! Seriously how is this possible. Can they catch strep while on antibiotic??? Going to doctor tommorow to confirm strep!! I am so tired, confused and angry. Okay so if she has strep I am going In And dragging in DH to get tested. Another party will be missed this weekend she is going to be so sad b/c it's her BCF.

Mar

Ds on his second strep this month on day 6 1/2 on antibiotic. Today dd says awe yeah mom forgot to mention that my throat hurt in school today!!!!!! I nearly passed out ! I look at her and can see it in her eyes that she has a fever! Yes 101 temp here we come again. She just finished her antibiotic from strep on Monday! Seriously how is this possible. Can they catch strep while on antibiotic??? Going to doctor tommorow to confirm strep!! I am so tired, confused and angry. Okay so if she has strep I am going In And dragging in DH to get tested. Another party will be missed this weekend she is going to be so sad b/c it's her BCF.

Mar

Don't forget to change the toothbrush, use paper towels instead of cloth towels in the bathroom, and paper cups if you need to next to the sink. I know others have some strep-reducing tips that they might add in. I am so sorry for you. I hate it when I feel like my house is a germ factory. We had the same problem with mycoplasma last year. It just did not want to leave!

I do change toothbrushes and have been drink out of disposable water bottles and if they do drink out of a cup I immediately put it into the dishwasher. Anything they eat from goes straight into dishwasher. I change towels frequently do not let them share. I will have them use paper towels in bathroom to dry. Thanks for the tip . I do change the hand towel daily but maybe should just use the paper instead for the time being. I have been letti g them lay on the couch watching tv when they have the fevers and making sure the other does not go near them. My children fear sick people b/c of how crazy I get with "don't touch or go near you sibling". I think I am going to have to keep them in their rooms for a couple of days when they are sick. I just need to stear them away from the rest of the house. I don't know what else to do.

Mar

Early in our journey, my son relapsed every time he finished a 10 day course of abx. I have a few thoughts:

1. The abx you're using isn't the right one and maybe you can try something different - and for a longer duration. You can also ask to have a culture analyzed for strain of bacteria to tell you which abx is appropriate.

2. If there's any congestion, the bacteria could be hiding in a biofilm and the abx aren't getting thru. You may need to do abx longer or pulse them and consider adding a mucus thinner like Mucinex or NAC to break down the film.

3. Your kids may need T&As. My son's strep issue didn't resolve until his T&A, despite a 6 weeks of continuous augmentin. I believe the strep was chronic in a biofilm in his adenoids.

I know the roller coaster is exhausting. You can also consider supplementing zinc to help the immune system, but I think you need to get to the source of the chronic infection. 10 day treatments never worked for my son. Good luck!

My son had strep hanging out in his nose - which cant be reached with abx. So we were in the same biat. Now, we swab the insidr of the nasal cavity with muciroprin (topical abx) whenever we get strep to make sure we catch it all.

My son had strep hanging out in his nose - which cant be reached with abx. So we were in the same biat. Now, we swab the insidr of the nasal cavity with muciroprin (topical abx) whenever we get strep to make sure we catch it all.

Can you buy that over the counter? Never heard of it.

Which antibiotic and dose was she on? Yes, all 4 of my kids have gotten strep while on antibiotics (augmentin and zithromax). One child also got an ear infection when on antibiotics. One reason, besides the wrong antibiotic or dose or length of treatment, could be the adenoids and/or tonsils are harboring strep.

Colleen

Mar

My ds has been on antibiotic for weeks and just got strep again. We just learned that his little brother is the carrier. So now they are both on antibiotics. Neither of them have fever or congestion currently, yet both are positive. It is definitely frustrating business. Good luck with your dd!

Emily

Thanks for you replys! She was on amoxicillin and don't recall the dose. But now I am made she was on that because I do recall several years back ds was on it and it didn't help until he got something stronger. Will have to dig back through their medical records. But what really interests me is this strep in the nose. I never knew that antibiotics can't clear it. Well I guess I should mention her rapid was negative today. Am waiting on culture. But her fever has been down all day and she seems happy. Still says throat hurts a little but has been eating all day without complaining. I always wonder if i take them in to soon but it would show wouldnt it? Ds on the other has taken a nap yesterday and today which is unheard of!! And ever since he seen a mini bike at costco yesterday will not stop talking and thinking about since!! He seems on the verge of tears b/c I don't want to listen to him talk about it for 10 hours straight. My ds was congested the last time he had strep so now I wonder about the adnoids ( I know I'm spelling it wrong). He always seemed to have congestion issues from a young child. I had an ENT look at them at one point and she said they look fine but have always had this feeling of what do they really look like inside.

Thanks mar

Quick question I asked doc today about son and she said that when he came in two weeks after his first strep his rapid and culture were negative that it means he is not a carrier. That he must of caught it again from someone. Does that prove he is not a carrier?

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question on this. I have done the netty pot on him years ago a couple of times. But do recall doctor saying don't do it when he has strep that it could pass it on to his sinuses. I thought the first smart thing I heard out of them. So we stopped the netty b/c I got scared that t would distribute the step up in his sinuses. So is this nasal flush different? Worry nelly that I am I always wonder.

Mar