ACN Latitudes Forums

Recovery time for tonsillectomy and PEX?

Hi! I am wondering what my ds's (17) summer is going to be like. Specifically, will he be able to romp at the public pool, work at a fast food establishment, enjoy family outings? I honestly don't know what to expect, or how to plan accordingly. I'm scheduling the tonsillectomy ASAP--we meet the ENT tomorrow. As for PEX, I'm considering waiting until late July so that he can enjoy some of his summer, but then, what about school? It starts the third week of August.

So... What is recovery like for each procedure? How long after PEX must one avoid the general public?

No info on PEX for you, but I had my tonsils removed when I was 21. My recovery was longer than either of my girls' who had them removed ata ages 5 & 8. As a young adult, I was home bound recovering for at least a week. I remember that I went back to work after that, but couldn't swallow without an discomfort or eat regularly for 3 weeks. Back then, doctors "babied" the pharynx, but now they are having kids eat regular food (minus jagged edges like pretzels or chips) right after surgery which is supposed to help the recovery process.

No info on PEX for you, but I had my tonsils removed when I was 21. My recovery was longer than either of my girls' who had them removed ata ages 5 & 8. As a young adult, I was home bound recovering for at least a week. I remember that I went back to work after that, but couldn't swallow without an discomfort or eat regularly for 3 weeks. Back then, doctors "babied" the pharynx, but now they are having kids eat regular food (minus jagged edges like pretzels or chips) right after surgery which is supposed to help the recovery process.

Actually, I'm going to contradict the last statement...DS's ENT had him eating corn chips, because it helps the scab come off sooner, and he said that's what causes the pain. That being said, as sick as your son has been, I would jump feet first in at the beginning of the summer, and take it one day at a time. This may be a summer that you just can't plan. I would not consider a job, because there's too much chance he won't be able to follow through on it, and that would leave the people at the job in the lurch.

Both my DS's went back to full life within a week, but if I had to do it again, I wouldn't do it that fast. Personally, I think their immune systems need to have a chance to improve before that. But, that's just my opinion.

besides resting for a day or so post central line removal to prevent bleeding, there is no recovery from pex. you are not immune-suppressed, so school should not be a concern more than normal infectious concerns.

best wishes to you, pex was so helpful for my children!