ACN Latitudes Forums

shingles in family member

Last year we visited family knowing that my uncle had shingles. I asked our PANDAS doctor before the trip if we should avoid going (uncle was only going to be around 2 days), and was told it was not a problem. Maybe because dd was on abx.

I think shingles is a virus, not to worry you but I believe it is quite contagious because it "sheds". Personally I would probably call the pediatrician and ask, in this case that is something the peditrician should be able to advise you on.

thanks Philmom--I will pm you --

Hopeny, I agree a call to our treating doctor is a good idea, thanks.

Sad, but true, despite the fact that both kids are on abx. this seems to me to be a potential problem -- but I am unsure still.

t.mom -- my kids have had known problems with viruses in addition to strep - so I am heightened about viruses also. last year, my mom did get a bad case of shingles. i did keep my kids away. i can't swear to it, but i do believe she asked her dr if he thought she should stay away from them and i believe he said it would likely be a good idea. we do live close to her and see her often -- i think it may have resulted in the cancellation of some event but can't really remember right now -- so not sure how troublesome it would be for you.

one of my kids -- diagnosed pandas 7 yo -- when i got his medical record, there were notes i had called concerned he may be having a reation to chickenpox vacc -- it couldn't have been too bad, becaseu niether dh nor i remembered -- but that also helped decide that he was not seeing her when she had shingles. i kind of do think there is some controversy in opinions over the shedding period being longer than people give credit to.

good luck!!

We have a family member visiting right now who may have an active shingles episode.

Does anyone know if this can be a problem for Ps kids???

Our younger dd (just turned 5 at the time) got shingles shortly after our PANDAS dd (7 at the time) was hospitalzied for anorexia/PANDAS/malnutrition...I think it was the next month (maybe in April). Things were crazy (spring 2008), and our 4 year old was still also carrying strep at that time (she didn't clear with Augmentin). We didn't "discover" Azith until May (cleared 4 year old) and early June (started PANDAS dd).

I have NO idea if shingles affected anything (beyond the strep in the household) but it was a horrible time!

Edited by EAMom

Yes, I would try to avoid the family member as much as possible. As you know, sometimes the doctors don't even realize what can affect our children. My daughter was only around the person with shingles a few hours for two days, and can't recall how active it was. She was fine. But, she was on a combo of abx at the time, so not sure if that made a difference. I probably wouldn't have exposed her, but took my mother to visit her sister (in Fla)- no place to leave dd.

I have learned over the years that my son can surprise me reactions to things that I never thought of...like other kids who recently had Flumist, some viral infections, ME, after I have had dental work done, etc. Shingles are in the chicken pox family. I would talk to the PANDAS doc (who may not have the right or good answer for your kiddo, as they are all different) and weigh out how important it is to see this family member, and go from there.