ACN Latitudes Forums
  • pandas-cover-cropped.pngYour Child Has Changed; Should You Consider PANDAS?

Have you seen our PANDAS eBook?  Our book is a helpful primer in a friendly question & answer format.  This eBook contains useful information to understand the symptoms of PANDAS, how it is diagnosed (including lab tests), the different types of treatments, approaches for prevention, and how to find the help and support that you need.  Your satisfaction is guaranteed. Learn more

Sign in to follow this  
fcefxer

Mycoplasma Pneumonia

Nancy, go back and read a thread a few pages back entitled "mycoplasma chronically high IGG" from two weeks ago. Talks about a very recent research paper which discusses the use of it for mycoplasma in children, two weeks, via IV.

I did. Thanks! Already faxed to doctor.

Nancy

My daughter had Lyme, Babesia, and Bartonella before. No MycoP before but I guess it could be showing up now. Is there a way of knowing if it is a co-infection vs something she caught from a kid at school. There was a really sick kid and I'm pretty sure she got it from him. He coughed all over her.

Ptcgirl, what were your dds IGM/IGG mycop numbers? You need to watch the trend with IGG. IGM should drop as IGG rises, indicating that your child recently had mycop. Over several months the IGG titer will rise and then should fall. Chronic mycop IGG titers rise, fall slightly, rise again, type of pattern. The child can be Asymptomatic other than neurological. For those children it has been postulated that macrolides abx are not strong enough to reach the cerebrospinal fluid and the brain. That is perhaps why even long-term biaxin or augmentin is not effective. That is the case with my dd. I like the idea of the right abx given via IV, bypassing metabolization in the gut over a couple of weeks. IV comes with its own set of concerns, etc, but I would be willing to do if that is what can destroy this SOB. I am concerned about levofloxacin potential side effects, but I am even more concerned about not ever treating this right. I wish the answers were more definitive. Nancy, please let us know your doctor's thoughts.

I have just recently purchased the full article on Levoflxacin for Myco P and sent it to my Integrative Medicine practitioner. She said at this point she is uncomfortable with doing it but wants me to talk to the LLMD about it when we go in July. She said if my daughter were older she would not be so hesitant. My daughter is 8. I wasn't even asking for the IV version, just trying to get a different oral antibiotic. So we are doing a trial of cipro instead. I had read something a while back that someone had gotten relief with cipro so at that time I got a neurologist that we were going to to give me a prescription for it but we never started it. At that time my daughter was really sick and I could barely get her to take pills. The Cipro pill is very large and she just could never get it down. So out of desperation, I pulled the bottle out the other day and bribed her to see if she could swallow it now and she did! This is day three on it so this weekend should be interesting. I will let you guys know if we see any positive changes. BTW, if anyone wants the full text article about levofloxin send me a pm and I can e-mail it to you. Hope everyone has a great week-end!

Dedee

Ptcgirl, what were your dds IGM/IGG mycop numbers? You need to watch the trend with IGG. IGM should drop as IGG rises, indicating that your child recently had mycop. Over several months the IGG titer will rise and then should fall. Chronic mycop IGG titers rise, fall slightly, rise again, type of pattern. The child can be Asymptomatic other than neurological. For those children it has been postulated that macrolides abx are not strong enough to reach the cerebrospinal fluid and the brain. That is perhaps why even long-term biaxin or augmentin is not effective. That is the case with my dd. I like the idea of the right abx given via IV, bypassing metabolization in the gut over a couple of weeks. IV comes with its own set of concerns, etc, but I would be willing to do if that is what can destroy this SOB. I am concerned about levofloxacin potential side effects, but I am even more concerned about not ever treating this right. I wish the answers were more definitive. Nancy, please let us know your doctor's thoughts.

Coco which abx do you mean for IV? Would Rocephin for Lyme also work on Myco?

I was talking about IV Levafloxicin, as was used in the study. I think it depends on if it is determined to be non-severe, severe, and pseudomonas risk. Now, where "chronic Asymptomatic other than neurological" falls I do not have a clue. Especially as it refers to pandas. I would think you go up the chain of strength until relief is seen?? But try to save the biggest guns for life-threatening circumstances. But if neurological is involved it must cross the BBB, IMO.

I think there are a number of us on this forum struggling with Mycoplasma and chronic Mycoplasma.

Pleae continue to share updates or if you were able to get rid of it please share what abx dose and how long it took.

Thanks

It appears that it was a different lab because the results are ranged differently. Does this mean anything to you? I'm sure Dr. B will check her again when we go back up in July.

5/14/2012

Mycoplasma, IGM: 240 (negative)

Mycoplasma, IGG: 2.78 (Positive)

3/27/2012

Mycoplasma, IGM: <770 (negative)

Mycoplasma, IGG: <100 (negative)

I was talking about IV Levafloxicin, as was used in the study. I think it depends on if it is determined to be non-severe, severe, and pseudomonas risk. Now, where "chronic Asymptomatic other than neurological" falls I do not have a clue. Especially as it refers to pandas. I would think you go up the chain of strength until relief is seen?? But try to save the biggest guns for life-threatening circumstances. But if neurological is involved it must cross the BBB, IMO.

Thanks - I need to look up all these aspects. DD has Lyme, high IGG Myco (5 with out of range being >.92), and elevated strep titer. She has suicidal obsessions, but have seen a lot of improvement with Biaxin/Augmentim on the suicidal stuff. She still has leg pain though. Trying to figure out what is causing what. I didn't give her Biaxin for one 12 hour period and the sucidal comments restarted that night. From what I understood Biaxin is for the Myco, so this really has me wondering...but then again, today we got a strep in the class notice, two days after the comments restarted...

I think there are a number of us on this forum struggling with Mycoplasma and chronic Mycoplasma.

Pleae continue to share updates or if you were able to get rid of it please share what abx dose and how long it took.

Thanks

SHE"S IMPROVING!!!!! WOO HOO HAPPY DANCE!!!!! YIPPEE. Lasty night she was still a bit sad but actually started smiling! She went to a friends house, came out for Chinese food, laughed and chatted with the boyfriend!!!! Now to figure out which one it is, the IV Doxy or the Luvox. I'm guessing (at the point 2 days of doxy and 3 of Luvox) that it's the Doxycycline. She sat with us all night in the living room. She interacted, made conversation. You can't imagine how bad she was. So depressed we could not leave her alone. Tics were non stop, but now at about 10%, were 90%. WOO HOO!!!! LOL I said "Myco FEAR ME" but thought it would be thumbing it's nose at me. :D Off to the hospital for 10 more treatments but who cares!!!!

Nancy (with the humongous grin)

Nancy, this is fantastic! So great great great to hear this! And such a quickly noticeable difference! Please keep us posted as you progress! Right behind ya, lady! ☺